MG-Rover.org Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wish my express was as half as clean as this. I guess cos mine is a working motor and I brought it from a company it was never gonna be clean. Once I move I'm gonna try and start tidying it up to something like this. I'm gonna sort out the rusting rear arches, repair all the scratches and dents and try to tidy up the engine bay as its mostly rusty and in a pretty poor cosmetic condition...
It's a shame really because I got it driving perfectly, really it wants a full respray but I don't think I'll ever afford that.
Cars look brilliant by the way lol

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I was only the other day wondering what had become of you - pleased to find that you and both cars are still around :)

I know from my own experience of 25/ZR front wings that the rust that starts around the bolt holes for the wing/bumper brackets can spread further up the inside of the wing than it does where it shows on the outside, so they can look mint on the outside one minute, and only a few months later rust can be bubbling through from inside as well as around the edges of the flanges.

It's one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - people don't come on a forum because not many others are posting, so the activity decreases further and even more people stop posting. Does get a bit depressing really, especially as it seems that we get a lot of new members with a problem who either disappear again as soon as their questions have been answered, or who ask a question and don't even bother to come back to see any replies, let alone respond.

Yes I'm still kicking about with the two cars. :)

I know what you mean about the wings, I knew they were starting to bubble when I bought the car. I was expecting them to need replacing within the year to be honest.

I've no issues just doing it properly and fitting new ones, the rest of the car is good enough to justify it.

I know it's a bit of a shame how the forums are now. I've taken a step back because it is depressing.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I wish my express was as half as clean as this. I guess cos mine is a working motor and I brought it from a company it was never gonna be clean. Once I move I'm gonna try and start tidying it up to something like this. I'm gonna sort out the rusting rear arches, repair all the scratches and dents and try to tidy up the engine bay as its mostly rusty and in a pretty poor cosmetic condition...
It's a shame really because I got it driving perfectly, really it wants a full respray but I don't think I'll ever afford that.
Cars look brilliant by the way lol

Thanks, my 25 looks a bit shiner in the pics than it is currently. I just need to give it a proper detailing session after fitting the new wings and I'll be happy with it.

They are much better cars than they were ever given credit for.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah I agree. My express is on nearly 140k and it drives perfectly.
As I said it has a few knocks, scrapes and a bit of rust coming through now but it's a vvc and other then snapping the cam belt at the beginning of the year it's never had anything major go wrong. Just a few years of neglect which I am slowly putting right.
And I know what you mean about this forum, I joined last year and it can be a bit slow but there is still a wealth of knowledge on here, it's a shame there are not more active threads like this, but then again at the min these cars are too old to be desirable but too young to be classics so unfortunately most will get driven into the ground and thrown away.
When I move I'm gonna try and purchase a few tidy cars while they are cheap and plentiful, well if the wife let's me...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Anyway as a brief update on the 25 which has now covered 22000 miles, the front wings are shot after winter. New wings are on order and the car will be getting some TLC in the coming weeks, new wings painted and fitted as well as a proper clean/detailing session.
Those went quick, they looked fine a year ago :doubletake:

The arches on my 200 are bubbling a bit. I rust killed them etc a couple of years ago but its beginning to come though again. Still not too bad yet...

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
I was away on bussiness trip for a few days, so missed these posts when they were made, but I am glad you are still around.

Good to hear you are providing TLC to your cars.

I know forums are not frequent as they were, but anyway I still enjoy them and I am glad when old members like you come back with few news to share, so thanks.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Mean, welcome to the world of the Mk2, seen a few of these with rusty
wings, much more than the Mk1's, 200 bubbles even, just one of them
things I guess but glad you are on top of it. ;)

I was away on bussiness trip for a few days.
I just had John Candy and his Shower Curtain Rings in my head lol. :lol:

It's one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - people don't come on a forum because not many others are posting, so the activity decreases further and even more people stop posting.

I think the fact that we have not had any new ROVER's roll out since 2006 and
the new MG's are not like what MG was like with ROVER when they shut the
doors, basically, no more new cars and the original cars are slowly dying off
as the newest ones asides the SIAC MG's are over 10 years old now and
most people have moved on, the forum is made up of saddo's like you, me
and Mean who refuse to give up and keep running ours lol.

Plus the advent of Social Media and the other forums spreading the numbers
out too but RoverTech is quiet, as it the 200 Owners Club but that tends
to have a couple more posts than RT.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
[...] the forum is made up of saddo's like you, me
and Mean who refuse to give up and keep running ours lol.
Don't look too depressed.
In France it's far worse: in a forum I'm the lonely boy with a 25 (which is a bit despised by all the others 75 owners), and in the other there are barely half a dozen of contributors and not very active.
It's a shame but that's the way it goes...

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's not just this forum, I think it's the same for most brands.
I bought a brand new fiesta St 500 in 2008 and I joined the fiesta stoc forum. It used to be a few days between posts on that and they were brand new when I was on that.
Before that I had a saxo vts and briefly joined saxsperience. That didn't last long because it was always dead.
The best forum I was on was theminiforum, that was always buzzing but that's because people were either after a mini, had a problem with it, was restoring one or wanted to learn about the history. There are some very wise people on there from guessworks to cooperman. Even though I don't have minis I still go on there to be nosey and sometimes trouble shoot when people get faults.
It's up to everyone on here to keep the forum interesting but while all mg-rover stuff it's approaching it's bottom value I think for a few more years it's only gonna be us enthusiasts to keep the knowledge on them alive until they reach an age when they start to appreciate in value and a load of kids want a retro mg rover for a weekend toy lol

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
[...] I think for a few more years it's only gonna be us enthusiasts to keep the knowledge on them alive until they reach an age when they start to appreciate in value and a load of kids want a retro mg rover for a weekend toy lol
God hear you! :URGOD:

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
I'll be rustproofing the insides before I fit them.
From my past experience, I would say that's a very good idea.

I invariably find that the bumper to wing bolts get rusted solid too, and I have never succeeded in getting them all to undo without shearing off on any of the new-to-me ZRs I have had, so I would suggest a good dose of Waxoyl or something of that nature all round the nuts and the brackets both below and above the wing/bumper flange after you have fitted them too. The bolts are captivated into a bracket, and not only do they shear, but I have also found the bracket itself is almost always rusted beyond repair. Fortunately XPart still have supplies of new ones.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
From my past experience, I would say that's a very good idea.

I invariably find that the bumper to wing bolts get rusted solid too, and I have never succeeded in getting them all to undo without shearing off on any of the new-to-me ZRs I have had, so I would suggest a good dose of Waxoyl or something of that nature all round the nuts and the brackets both below and above the wing/bumper flange after you have fitted them too. The bolts are captivated into a bracket, and not only do they shear, but I have also found the bracket itself is almost always rusted beyond repair. Fortunately XPart still have supplies of new ones.

Thank you for this info. Looks like I should order myself a pair of brackets too!

Do the new brackets include the fixings required?

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
The brackets come with the bolts already captivated in them. The nuts will need to be got separately.

There are two brackets - one holds the two bolts that fix the wing flange to the bumper flange, and this is the one that is usually very rusty (when I took the wings off my Mk2 when I got it 4 years ago, they had virtually disintegrated!) and on which the bolts usually shear. There is another bracket which bolts to between this bracket and the inner wing. It too has a captivated bolt to fit into the other bracket, but I have found the nut on this usually comes undone without issue (especially with a little assistance from some penetrating lubricant). The nuts require a 10mm spanner/socket.

The part numbers are:

DPP100960: Plate - front bumper stud (wing flange to bumper) https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-DPP100960

ASU470030: Bracket - fender support (inner wing to bumper stud/bracket) https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ASU470030 (I doubt very much if you will need these)

ESR1560: M6 nut with integral washer (fits the captivated bolts on both brackets) https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-ESR1560

There are also four fibre washers which fit on the bolts of DPP100960 which space the bumper flange from the wing flange (presumably the slight space will stop the two rubbing and wearing off the paint to allow rust to start). They are part number DYF100870 https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-DYF105870. Your existing ones may still be intact and re-useable.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts