MG-Rover.org Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Thank you very much Man in the Car! :)

That's really useful, I'll look into those ASAP. May as well do the job properly :broon:

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Small update, I've ordered my bumper to wing flange brackets, fixings & washers (thanks again Man in the Car). I've also ordered some genuine Rover MBB Starlight Silver aerosol paint as there are some areas along the sill flanges and also some tiny bubbling appearing on the rear arch lips which I want to address.

A year ago the car had only a few bubbles on one front wing, now it has the very early signs of bubbling in a few areas. It highlights to me that my OCD with my owned since new ZR has paid off and is worth it. Daily use just eats the bodywork on these cars now at this age in the UK.

Nothing at all major to deal with really, I've got a week off work arranged to spend getting the car to the standard I want it be at. I fully intend to keep this 25 going and looking as presentable as I possibly can whilst still being used pretty much every day. I still love these cars, despite age taking it's toll.

I also admit that I am very fussy and what I consider the early signs of corrosion, most people probably would not even notice, but prevention is better than cure. As I do these few jobs I'll be taking pics and uploading the progress and showing the car hopefully in a very pretty state at the end :)

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I'm thinking about doing something stupid, you are kind of to blame lol. :lol:

I am hopefully getting my new garage built soon and I am seriously thinking
of doing a full restoration of my 25, as car that has NO value, except to me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm thinking about doing something stupid, you are kind of to blame lol.

When I move I will finally have a garage. I intend to tidy the engine bay and attend to the rusty arches, as well as drop the box out and finally cure my stiff clutch pedal. After that it's going for a partial respray and a mop to bring up the rest of the body work.
The car has no real value but I intend to keep it as long as I can so I'm happy to waste some money on it.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I'm thinking about doing something stupid, you are kind of to blame lol. :lol:

How am I to blame? :lol:

Value has nothing to do with it. If the car is important to you, that's all that matters.

My ZR has been worthless for years, hasn't stopped me being completely OCD with it though.

I can't be OCD with my 25 in the same way, it's just not practical or realistic. I am still going to go above and beyond what most owners these days would.

The cars deserve to be loved. They are far - far better than they were ever recognised for. I don't actually want to drive anything else in a similar class from today's options.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I'm putting all my efforts into my Cabby first, it is 20 years old this month ! :eek:

I'll get back to the 25 eventually but including buying it, the respray and the
mods done to it over the last 14 years of ownership stand me about £10k but
it was only 18 months old when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Holy thread revival.

Hi mean and green, used to see your MG around but not seen it in a while. Should have known you’d still have it.

I see you have added a 25! Any updates on this ?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Old thread revival and a while since I’ve posted.

I dunno if any of the old regular members are still about. I thought maybe I should update this old thread, for those who may remember it.

After four years with the 25, I’ve decided to replace it with something else. During my time with the 25 I covered approx 25000 miles. Replaced the head gasket with an MLS one, replaced both front wings, replaced the full exhaust including the cat and a full set of tyres.

It never missed a beat or let me down, it passed every MOT. It just started to gradually suffer with rust creeping in. The rear arches, the sills and door bottoms were solid, but starting to show their age. Daily driving and wet winters did the car no favours - despite my best intentions.
Also my needs from a car have changed a little. Putting mountain bikes into the back of it regularly and driving out into the sticks often was starting to highlight the inadequacies of the 1.4 and the car just wasn’t big enough or refined enough.

So I’ve traded in the 25 for a MG ZT-T 160 Turbo in Trophy Blue. Hopefully this next adventure with an MG-Rover product will be as good as the last one! Also hopefully the 25 will find a good home.

I‘ve still got the ZR and it’s still at the standard it was before. It is just a toy now and only comes out in nice weather.

if I can sort out another online pic hosting account (forgot all of my details on my past ones), I’ll get a couple of pics up.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
Wecome back! It was only last week that it struck me that I hadn't seen you post for a very long time, and wondered whether you were still an MG Rover man. Glad you still have the ZR, and hope you enjoy having the ZT-T.

.... It just started to gradually suffer with rust creeping in. The rear arches, the sills and door bottoms were solid, but starting to show their age. Daily driving and wet winters did the car no favours....
I know exactly what you mean - my mk2 ZR gets used all year round and rust is becoming an issue again (I cleaned off and repainted any rust showing underneath or round the arch flanges when I first had it in 2013). Worse still, I have found that rust has started to perforate the bottom of the offside sill just forward of the rear wheelarch. Wasn't too big an area (about the size of an old 50p), so cut a small area out and welded some new in for now. There was a similar situation on the flange of the sill closing panel in the nearside rear arch which also received a patch. Sprayed plenty of waxoyl in the ends of the sills, so hope they will last a couple more years before needing majoe surgery (just hope 'peasantslife' still has his sill sections and closing panels available when I need them!)

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Wecome back! It was only last week that it struck me that I hadn't seen you post for a very long time, and wondered whether you were still an MG Rover man. Glad you still have the ZR, and hope you enjoy having the ZT-T.

I know exactly what you mean - my mk2 ZR gets used all year round and rust is becoming an issue again (I cleaned off and repainted any rust showing underneath or round the arch flanges when I first had it in 2013). Worse still, I have found that rust has started to perforate the bottom of the offside sill just forward of the rear wheelarch. Wasn't too big an area (about the size of an old 50p), so cut a small area out and welded some new in for now. There was a similar situation on the flange of the sill closing panel in the nearside rear arch which also received a patch. Sprayed plenty of waxoyl in the ends of the sills, so hope they will last a couple more years before needing majoe surgery (just hope 'peasantslife' still has his sill sections and closing panels available when I need them!)
Thanks!

I would still be a frequent member if things hadn’t all but died in here. I guess the cars have gone full cycle now, there aren’t many left really. There’s no chance of this place being like it once was, even without the intervention of Facebook.

The corrosion that starts on the 25/ZR body is a shame. It‘s the biggest weakness of the car IMO. The bigger MG-Rover models don’t tent to suffer like the 25/ZR. At least mechanicals can be fixed pretty easily, corroded chassis is another mater.

Even when I first bought my 25 with just 14000 miles on it, there was surface corrosion on all of the running gear underneath. Something I was surprised about given the low miles. My ZR doesn’t have any, which led me to think that perhaps quality suffered on the Mk2 variants, or maybe it’s just the life the car had before.

If you think you may be needing panels and sills in the future and you want to keep the car going, maybe a good idea to stock up in advance?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Welcome back. Pity for the rust as that example of 25 was excellent one, especialy in your hands.
Hope you will enjoy ZT-T.
Thanks!

Don’t get me wrong. The car was still presentable and totally solid. It was just becoming a matter of time before a good body shop was going to be needed to keep the car how I’d want it. Also my requirements have changed a little and needed the bigger ZT-T. I‘ve kept with MG-Rover at least. I love the things :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome back and enjoy your ZTT :D
Hi all, I've just bought an MG ZR 105 and it need some tlc confound your forum. Thought I'd say hi. It's a lovely little car but not been well loved and unfortunately failed its MOT today. I cant afford to pay to get the work done so I'm going to try it myself. Parts are cheap, Haynes manual coming tomorrow. Already got torque wrench and sockets so I'll keep you posted and might need some advice too.
Cheers

101 - 115 of 115 Posts