MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello, I have a rover 620ti and want to install a new bearing set, whole.
What should I change ¡now I'm at it and what should I not touch?
Is it recommendable to install a good set of roller bearings on the Torsen diff to get more robustness and longer life?
Thank you
Have a look at my post #1. The first image shows the only bearings I've ever found needing renewal with worn PG1 Gearboxes, mainly TorSen 620ti ones. For the Differential, SKF 6208 Size bearings are very good quality with steel cages and are better than the factory originals with nylon cages. They are used widely and manufactured in many thousands which means prices are not excessive. Same is true of the other two bearings but to a lesser extent. The other two bearings in that image fit either end of the input Shaft. The smaller one in the bell housing and the larger "UPRATE" one in the other casing. Both may need some persuasion to remove. Boiling water on the other side of their location can expand their location and they sometimes drop out easily once the heat has done it's trick. Sometimes two Boiling Kettles of water is needed to shift them.

I have refurbished around a dozen PG1s over the years. Starting on MG Montego Turbo boxes, then a TomCat turbo and the rest those from 620ti cars in the family and friends.

Following passing the MoT recently, today I covered twenty plus miles on my low mileage 620ti which I bought eight years ago and has not been used for five years. Tucked away in my garage unused. It's a nice example and I plan to prepare it for sale soon. That first long trip after five years revealed TWO problems which will need my attention. After a short time the ABS light came on ...... and stayed on... :doh:.... It gets worse, my old ears are not as good as they once were but at certain speeds and in certain gears when accelerating a tad sharpish, distant rumblings ... almost certainly coming from the gearbox. Two jobs I could have done without but must be done. Plus, I'll put a new clutch in it when box is removed. ... two birds one stone scenario.

Other bearings in the PG1 are hard to come by and very expensive. So the fact that they rarely need renewal is a blessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a look at my post #1. The first image shows the only bearings I've ever found needing renewal with worn PG1 Gearboxes, mainly TorSen 620ti ones. For the Differential, SKF 6208 Size bearings are very good quality with steel cages and are better than the factory originals with nylon cages. They are used widely and manufactured in many thousands which means prices are not excessive. Same is true of the other two bearings but to a lesser extent. The other two bearings in that image fit either end of the input Shaft. The smaller one in the bell housing and the larger "UPRATE" one in the other casing. Both may need some persuasion to remove. Boiling water on the other side of their location can expand their location and they sometimes drop out easily once the heat has done it's trick. Sometimes two Boiling Kettles of water is needed to shift them.

I have refurbished around a dozen PG1s over the years. Starting on MG Montego Turbo boxes, then a TomCat turbo and the rest those from 620ti cars in the family and friends.

Following passing the MoT recently, today I covered twenty plus miles on my low mileage 620ti which I bought eight years ago and has not been used for five years. Tucked away in my garage unused. It's a nice example and I plan to prepare it for sale soon. That first long trip after five years revealed TWO problems which will need my attention. After a short time the ABS light came on ...... and stayed on...
.... It gets worse, my old ears are not as good as they once were but at certain speeds and in certain gears when accelerating a tad sharpish, distant rumblings ... almost certainly coming from the gearbox. Two jobs I could have done without but must be done. Plus, I'll put a new clutch in it when box is removed. ... two birds one stone scenario.

Other bearings in the PG1 are hard to come by and very expensive. So the fact that they rarely need renewal is a blessing.

Hello John,

thank sforyour answer and excuse me for not having answered before, haven't got the hang of forums really and find it hard to keep up although I can build a computer from scratch or install a linux or windows distro effortlessly... Anyway, going to the point and trying to be brief.

I' would like to know if it is worth getting a T300 or a T300+ for my Rover 216si (97) and Rover 620ti radio and infrared fobs respectively.

Rover 216si failed MoT last week unexpectedly and as Rover 620ti has to go to MoT in a fortnight I thought I'd do a plan, an emergency one for now.

- New lubricants and aditives to restore seals from leaking and improving compression thus both cars have one cylinder with about 2/3 the compression of the rest, say 95, 145, 145, 145 PSI.

- Check exhaust for leaks and fix them.

- Already changed air filters and installed the oil K&N filters on both (bargain on amazon)

- Additive to the petrol to clean the infector and fuel system.

- Give the cars a bit of stick before driving into MoT to make sure the cats are hot while evaporating any remnant water deposited inside them...

- Oh yes, checking dizzy and rotor on 216si (done the 620ti)

- Any more ideas?

----------------------------------------------------

-So what options are there out there to manage the cars conector besides the T300 or the T300+?

- What can one do with these options? (I mean , what IMPORTANT things can one do...). Can you visualize and alter the engines combustion parameters to fine tune emisisons for instance?

- FOBS are critical on these cars and my 216si has already unsynced on of the two I have (fingers crossed because the door lock trick does not work with my code so I'm grounded if I lose my second fob)

- Rover 620ti is infrarred....both fobs work , but you never know...do you? I read (from you mostly all I know -thank you very much-) that T300 manages the 5J(whatever fob) radio signal with two buttons but what about the infrarred one?

- Isin't it just better to DISARM the alarm to avoid getting grounded one unexpected day?

Excuse the length of this message but I need the two cars we have my older son and I, and I've got more questions coming up about the T16's engine lower gaskets, including crankshaft, front and rear, plus a whining 620ti gearbox...

Kind regards to all.

Norbert

Attachments

21 - 22 of 22 Posts