MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - in the late summer I fitted an aftermarket Pioneer stereo to my son's 2001 Rover 45 2.0 diesel, and managed to get the steering wheel controls working thanks to a load of help on this forum.

I now have a new stereo issue - at first the stereo worked fine: remembered its station frequencies, Bluetooth worked, etc. But in recent weeks the stereo has been locking up when the car is started. To be precise: the stereo is completely dead, no power, no display, nothing. The stereo can be brought back to life by poking a paperclip into the 'reset' hole on the front, behind the stereo's fascia panel. Then the stereo clock etc all needs to be reset. I finally decided the unit was faulty, and exchanged it for the newer model, which I fitted two days ago - same problem!

So either I have been very unlucky to have two units with the same problem, or (more likely) there's something about the car that is making this happen. I don't know exactly whether the lockup is happening whilst the car is parked & not being used, or whether it occurs in the moment that the car is started.

Has anyone on the forum experienced anything like this before? Thanks in advance for any advice...

(The two stereos with the problem are the Pioneer MVH-S410BT, and now the MVH-S420BT)

·
Super Moderator
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,373 Posts
First thing I would do is to take out steering wheel adapter from wiring loom and connect head unit (HU) without this adapter. By that you will know wether you have problem with wiring in your car or adapter is making these problems. It is not normal for HU to lock up like that.
Not something I have seens but you need to go step by step in elimination process to see where problem is. I mentioned adapter as it has powered electronic components inside and they might start to play up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts