MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a little while I am looking to do a major-monster service to Red19 This will involve a full house cambelt, waterpump, tensioner job. I should also do the underfloor pipes too.

Is there anybody out there who might be able to lend me some practical experience. Somebody who has done it before so I don't have to go through a painful learning curve or make silly mistakes or do the job without those little tips that save time and greif.

I am thinking 15th Jan 2012, start 10ish.

So far interested parties include:-

Andy O
Gotenks
Karmeleon
Derek Bertram
RTG90: for a while
Thatone1967
Warden
Andycolm: late~ish
CSutcliff: On Tea Detail

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,773 Posts
In a little while I am looking to do a major-monster service to Red19 This will involve a full house cambelt, waterpump, tensioner job. I should also do the underfloor pipes too.

Is there anybody out there who might be able to lend me some practical experience. Somebody who has done it before so I don't have to go through a painful learning curve or make silly mistakes or do the job without those little tips that save time and greif.
I'm around the corner from you... can pop over in the new year or possibly one evening before then.... i've done two (and a bit) now :)

Was on a TF, but engine-wise the F is pretty similar.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Support appreciated Derek. I've done a lot of work on a variety of cars over the years and the one thing that pays off is the use of other people's experience rather than muddling through yourself. Last tricky head job was a Lancia HPE which was a test of your patience.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I can't remember where you are but I'm happy to lend a hand if you feed me :lol: I've done a few like this now and Kameleon (Paul) likes my head (gasket repair) abilities apparently :broon:

·
Registered
412 Posts
+1 too, add me to the list (pending knowing what my calendar is & how far you are from Dartford). I don't mind popping down with a few bits and pieces - more so for the joy of it though.

I just bought a TF and done a major service on it already (belts et al) (my 5th K-Series engine) so I'm well up for doing another :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've just recently done cambelt+water pump.

Cambelt
  • You don't have to dis-assemble the engine mount as per the book to remove the belt, you can just remove two bolts and with the help of a trolley jack, lower the engine enough to slide the belt out in the gap that it creates and slide the new one in
  • Getting the new belt on the final pulley is a royal pain, and if you don't do it right you'll end up with the camshafts not aligned. I couldn't find any magic on this one, just keep trying different options of taking the slack up, you eventually get it.
  • DO get a replecement tensioner pulley bolt as the head wears quickly on it especially if you end up having loads of attempts at getting the tension correct (can't comment if it is the other style tensioner).
  • Undoing the crankshft pulley bolt (the one set at 210Nm) is a pain. If you haven't a fancy impact type tool then just take your time in making sure the socket is well placed.
  • Might as well get a new alternator belt since you are pulling it off to get at the camshaft belt.
Waterpump
  • You might as well replace the stat whilst you are at it as removing the pump allows a little more access to the stat housing bolts.
  • One of the bolts on the pump has a bolt bolted in the end to hold the camshaft housing in place. DO get a replacement as the threads seem exposed to the coolant.
  • Make sure the rubber type gasket is seated properley as you don't want it shifting at the last minute whilst you mate the faces up.
Just take your time doing it, access is a pain but it always is. It took me a day on my own with not the best selection of tools in the world.

Best,
Andy

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys

That's great we should set a weekend when the TT Mk7s are gone so we can spread out in the Surrey labs and have a chat and a team session in doing this. Sometime in Dec if the weather holds. I'll get a load of chocky biscuits in.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Getting the new belt on the final pulley is a royal pain, and if you don't do it right you'll end up with the camshafts not aligned. I couldn't find any magic on this one, just keep trying different options of taking the slack up, you eventually get it.
The failsafe way is to buy a camshaft locking tool to keep the cams in place while the belt is off.

With regards to getting the belt back on, start from the crankshaft gear upwards, feeding around the water pump & tensioner and then around the camshaft pulleys. Keeping the belt taught when going upwards should give just enough in the belt to slip it over the pulleys.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The failsafe way is to buy a camshaft locking tool to keep the cams in place while the belt is off.

With regards to getting the belt back on, start from the crankshaft gear upwards, feeding around the water pump & tensioner and then around the camshaft pulleys. Keeping the belt taught when going upwards should give just enough in the belt to slip it over the pulleys.
I've got one of those somewhere.

I'm in the same position as you Neil... wanting to do it myself next time. Will be replacing a water pump soon on an MPi.
Once I've gotten used to the task I might just come over and do yours!

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If not then I've got one I can bring along for a day out :broon: I have the crank locking tool as well to make it easier to get the crank pulley bolt out, a windy gun makes that even easier though :lol:
The crank locking tool would be very useful, but I don't have a windy gun unfortunatley

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I'm a bit busy moving this month but if you're doing this early next year I too am just around the corner and am an expert in underfloor pipes and what not... like Mr Slow, I just need feeding :D

·
Registered
507 Posts

Agree and did, but was still a pain in the bum for me, I just really struggled getting the belt over the lip of the final cam pulley. Much swearing and tea was involved.

derek_bartram said:
Really, how?
With the pump removed I found I had a little more access to the two outer bolts with a small spanner from the wheel arch. It was still a pain getting access to the bolt closest to the engine though :)

Andy

·
Registered
790 Posts
Agree and did, but was still a pain in the bum for me, I just really struggled getting the belt over the lip of the final cam pulley. Much swearing and tea was involved.Andy
I refitted the belt today in a minute. The trick: fit only half size (or less) of the belt on the pulleys (with the tensioner fitted, but slackened), it will set soon in the gears, then push the belt to fit the remaining size. To regulate and block the tensioner I did it with the expansion tank removed, you'll gain the room to can put your left arm on the engine bay with an allen key in the left hand, while with the other hand you're tighting the tensioner. You'll need to put a little mirror on the engine bay on front of the tensioner, to can see the right adjustment. If you don't remove the expansion tank, you have to work with the left arm from the wheel arch, without seeing the tensioner, very unconfortable.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,773 Posts
With the pump removed I found I had a little more access to the two outer bolts with a small spanner from the wheel arch. It was still a pain getting access to the bolt closest to the engine though :)
Interesting.... didn't occur to try to get to those bolts from there. I did them all from the slot next to the boot.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks guys

I will find which weekend is most suitable and get a large supply of choccy bics in and a London Underground Engineering measure of Tea.

I have a good sized garage so it'll be done inside (needs tidying) but the heater is a bit pathetic. So on the proviso that it isn't snowing or slashing down with rain too much or totally freezing I am thinking on weekend in mid January.

It's in West Byfleet, Surrey in the Surrey Labs which like that scene on Alien:Resurrection has the product of some horrible mutated experiments lying about asking to be put out of their misery.

I am thinking 15th Jan 2012, start 10ish.

I have a reasonable selection of tools but only 2 axle stands.

Who's up for it?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts