MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I have only done the TPS reset as I am a novice when it comes to cars.

Last night however, after the car was left for 3 days, it felt what I can only discribe as "lumpy" on startup. Again got to the first major junction and it stalled when coming to a full stop. 5 mins later after it had warmed up it was super smooth etc and didn't miss a beat as per usual.

Getting a service in a few weeks, going to get the garage to change the HT spark plug leads and check sensors to see if this helps.

Novice Question: Are the "coil packs" different to the HT leads?
Yes, coil packs send the 'spark' to the spark plugs, the HT leads are just the 'wires' carrying the electricity between the two.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
A little bit more testing today for this issue.

I started by doing a blocktest to see if the hg had a problem. Stayed nice and blue. The day was warmer and my tf has run perfectly today. Yesterday it kicked out loads of white vapour, hence checking with a block test.

Live data showed a reading of 7 degrees on the coolant temp sensor from start up. That was just about right.

Pressure tested the pipe work. Nothing showed up. So guessing the inlet manifold is not in the frame. It did seem odd that there was some water residue under the plastic manifold though.

Another think tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yesterday was a bit warmer where I am and in the morning the stalling at first junction problem didn't happen... Strange...

I am hoping new HT leads and Coil Packs when it gets served in a couple of weeks will eliminate this problem.

Perhaps a little moisture in around the spark plugs? I dunno...

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Yesterday was a bit warmer where I am and in the morning the stalling at first junction problem didn't happen... Strange...

I am hoping new HT leads and Coil Packs when it gets served in a couple of weeks will eliminate this problem.

Perhaps a little moisture in around the spark plugs? I dunno...
I don't drive the mg in the wet, ever. However it needed an mot and I had to drive it on the worst day we have had all year. Huge puddles on the side of the road, that I could n't drive around etc. The problem started after that.

It does make you think, moisture on wires could be a cause.?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts

At last. I have found the problem.

Not happy about it, but at least I can now get on and fix it.

Leaking inlet manifold gasket. Replaced 2 years ago when the head was done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thread revivial !

Did this ever get fixed ? I have EXACTLY the same problem. everything you say happens to my car, everything.

·
Registered
mgf
644 Posts
You can see from the photo he provided that the installed gasket is one of the green inlet manifold gaskets, which are prone to leaking due to the gasket material getting hard over time. Hopefully he replaced it with the uprated black, viton gasket.

I've had this same issue with both of our Fs. One was replaced about 7 years ago and the other 5 years ago that I replaced the green gasket with the uprated gasket on our Fs and it has cured the coolant leak in both cases.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts