MG-Rover.org Forums banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 · (Edited)
Received lower engine mount from Elisecarparts. Picture to follow.

Looks very nice indeed. Can't wait to fit and see if any difference.
Probably in two weeks time.

Also, ordered some Silka Seal, to fit my new front splitter, nicely body painted.

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Hi!

I know people will be shaking awaiting news on the project... and... is not dead!

My Gloria is in need of more and more extensive work to the point that was not anymore viable as a daily drive and project car.

So, I decided to go for a solution that would allow me taking my time to properly care my pride and joy.

I hope to post some news of my long term solution and keep rolling updates on the project.

As a preview: I've just received new interior carpets from Newton Commercial...

Ciao!

I'd like to know if the OBDII connector issue was resolved. I've had a couple of connectors in the past and have issues where radios have interfered with the connections. Worth exploring if you're still having problems.

Discussion starter · #85 ·
And here there is my long-term solution to keep working on my Gloria.

Excuse the off topic, but this car is a completely different beast: sure, is 17 years younger and more technological.

That said, I still care a lot for my MGF, and I'll try hard keep her in even better shape.

Ciao,
Giulio

Discussion starter · #86 · (Edited)
I'd like to know if the OBDII connector issue was resolved. I've had a couple of connectors in the past and have issues where radios have interfered with the connections. Worth exploring if you're still having problems.
Help me on this one Leigh, as I don't specifically remember what was the issue I had.

I've connected my OBDLink to Torque running on my Joying Head Unit.
The head unit has some issue into connecting with this specific unit as is only had 4 code digit passcode (the reader needs 8).

Reading around, I managed to connect by using "1234" as Bluetooth code
Blowing off all the security "advertise" this obd2 link has (that I didn't care about anyway).

I'm amazed at how rubbish the bluetooth technology is, and how is still in use.

Every now and then the headunit and adaptor lose the link, and I have to link again.
Still didn't manage to figure out if something specific sever the link or is just random crap.

My joying 8'' touch screen do an amazing job in displaying engine parameters in real time.
Left alone security crap, this OBDLink is A LOT faster in sending data respect to crap ELM327 adaptor: this means much more parameters on screen updating in real time or fewer that updates really at impressive speed (giving bloody accurte graphs).
I'll post a video about it, as is really amazing.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Trying to sort out the water leak from passenger side, I changed the old cheater with a new one.

The old one was badly bent, and could be seen from the front of the car: just sticking out.

Of course this didn't sorted the issue yet, and I got quite a bit of water trough the window.

I'll spend a bit more time trying to re-align the window, that seems correct to me, but I really don't know where to look anymore.

I've also sorted out some cable connectors, as I could heard cracking on uneven sound level in the car.

As soon as I've sorted the water ingress, I need to remove old carpet and insulation, to remove water in fit the Newton Commercial ones.

Discussion starter · #88 ·
After enjoying the summer in my Abarth, really a nice beast, I've decided to go back to my Gloria, and finish the work.

I'm looking into new tyres: most probably Falken 914: 215/40/R16
5 of these, as I've bought the spare wheel as the same alloy, for the front AP calipers.

I also have to plan cambelts/water pumps etc, as it will be 4 years shortly.
Also, MOT on the 19 of September... I guess I need to plan much more expenses, as the car starts to be 18 years old and rusty....

Ahhh... after 6 months the best battery money could buy, died.

Yuasa! Yuasa! They cried!
Well, Yuasa no more. Can go to hell.

Went for a Lion battery.
How did you care for the battery?

If you just left it, I’m not surprised it gave up.

Project mint.

Lion battery?? A pal had one which lasted on a prewar car for less than 6 months. Scanning Gumtree seems to throw up a relatively high % of secondhand Lion batteries for sale - bought in error etc.
Of course, neither represent a reasonable assessment of the quality and service life of this brand.

Discussion starter · #92 ·
The worse I've done is leaving the car 5 weeks parked.

I can understand going flat, but completely f...d up is another matter.
I've tried flipping it upside-down. Shaking it to enable the acid redistribute.
Nothing. Event after a full recharge, it's useless.

I had other batteries left over for a similar amount of time, never had this issue before.

Lion battery could be crap, but price is 1/3, and still 3 years warranty.
Eurocarparts will change it no question asked.
TIme will tell.

Project mint.

Hope you got your money refunded on the 6 months old dead Yuasa.
I guess that had a three year warranty, although I think they are now also doing a budget (1000 range?) one with a 1 year guarantee?

Discussion starter · #94 ·
Hola!

I'm still around, fiddling with my MGF.
After having some belts replaced, I've started replacing the carpets inside the car.

I had the suspect Gloria was become a swimming pool and... what a surprise.
It is! :D

I've removed carpets, seats and padding.
The velcro used for sticking the original carpet was not even a joke.
So I've bought some Velcro (branded) that is used to stick tools to a wall :)

Next steps:
  • Renews seats bases
  • Dry car interior
  • Add some padding/dynamat to improve car sound dampening/vibration
  • Replace carpet and use industrial grade Velcro to stick in place and never move again!
  • Waterproof again the hood

The adhesive tape on the heavy duty velcro still has to stick to something...

I would suspect the surface you are trying to stick to needs better preparation i.e. cleaning.

Good luck.

Discussion starter · #97 ·
I've cleaned both the bumper and the plate multiple times (with various products) and dried both parts, but the stickers keeps falling from both.

Some detach from the plate, some from the bumper.

I'll keep trying :smile:

Discussion starter · #98 ·
And so it begins my day...

7:00am started with renovating my seats.

Driver seat at start

Driver seat cleaned and repainted, first hand.
Needs second hand and leather sealant.

While seats dries, I've started by washing and cleaning the interior, with some products to clean the kitchen.

Started with dynamiting the T-bar section that presents a huge hole where engine noise is free to pass.
Closed a bit, no idea if makes any different, but since I had some spare materials...

Continued with adding more dynamat on the floor and fitting Newton commercial padding.

The padding material seems really higher quality if compared to the old crap I've removed from the car.
I hope it will make the car more quieter and pleasant on longer journeys.
It is also a tighter fit than the original, and stay nice in place.

You can see I've added the back carpet now.

The previous owner (or some other garage) completely destroyed the rear central box pillar. I'll need to order a new one as is flimsy and no really fixed to anything.

Passenter side fitted and the other one too...

The carpets are hell of lot bigger and fit really well. This means that they are quite hard to properly fit, but they really looks professional.

I need to make some holes and trimming, but overall not much was needed and the material is easy to cut and manipulate.

And then everything put together again!
You can judge by yourself the outcome.

I'm really pleased: the job has been very easy to do, aside re-fitting the rest foot plate, but nothing too bothersome.
Even if the carpet are a bit cheaper looking than the original, the fact that they fit so much better, when fitted, looks more high quality than the originals.

The instructions where suggesting to use adhesive but... really, betweem scrivets, rivets screws and ultra tight-fit, I think the glue is not needed and would make the job harder.

Tomorrow I'll fit the renovated seats and the interior will be better than factory standards >:)

81 - 100 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.