MG-Rover.org Forums banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
Last weekend and hesterday have been very productive.

I ll post pictures later, but a summary of the works.

* Interior complete with seats put together. Really amazing.
* Fixed headlight with a detached ring. Sorry to say, but not overly happy of tje work of MG Custom parts. For the price is a no go.
* New wishbones
* MOT passed with only 2 advisory
* Fitted front splitter... Gorgeous.
* Something else.

Regarding the alternator: I ve fitted the 110Amp version, even if someone here said was not necessary.

Wrong.

Its making a huge difference. The amount of elettronics I ve added is quite considerable.
The radio was hicking up, when using directional arrows or breaking the cockpit light were going down, etc.
With the new alternator everything is spotless and I m not surprised if the engine will benefit too.

I would say that, when I ll finally make a full respray, my MGF will be probably one of the most gorgeous MGF out there.
Highly, but subtely, modded.

?

Discussion starter · #102 ·
Here picture of the seats, both sides in order:
* 2 hands of paint with 1 of sealant
* 2 hands of paint with 3 of sealant

Details of seats finished:

Nasty wishbone:

Shiny 110Amp alternator (Rusty subframe as bonus)

Gorgeous (but dirty) Gloria (note the 3D number plate):

Discussion starter · #103 ·
After the wishbones done, the car had the steering all messed up, so I went for a laser alignment.

Now steering is spotless and precise.
Driving with the splitter fitted seems to make a really good difference at higher speed, as the sense of wobbling is completely gone!
:D

Ordered 5 Falken ZE914 EC as my tyres are more than 4 years old and done 35K+ miles.
With the BF discounts I'll renovate even the spare alloy wheel.
Should be fitted Wednesday

I'm moving from old Nexen, I'll report back on how Gloria will behave with the new shoes.

:smile:

Discussion starter · #105 ·
Changed all my tires to Nexen N'FERA SU1, including the spare alloy I bought, ditching the original (seemed unused) spare tire.

My finding so far:
* Extremely quite ride. At least, from previous Nexen.
* Good braking distance. I have to say these one bites road much better
* Didn't made anything fancy, but the impression is of a quite grip.

I've bought some paint pens, so I'll spend a bit of time giving them some sporty look.

Picture to follow :smile:

Discussion starter · #106 ·
After so long.... here I am.
Change job, city, everything but not the car!

Anyway, today I've given an honest attempt at fitting this

It took me three hours (of the 1 advertised on the instructions), either way now is in place.

* Detach and unscrew the slave cylinder, and move aside as much as you can
* Unscrew the bolt on the gearbox just below tie clutch lever
* With the bracket between the slave cylinder and the original bracket
* Aline front captive hole of the bracket with the gearbox hole, and pass the bolt from outside the gearbox, as the bracket is captive, and will tighten the gearbox
* Reconnect everything and drive!

Most of time spent has been understanding if this Elise part would fit, and how.
At one point I thought that there was not way of fitting the bracket but... I persisted and finally did it.

Meanwhile I've found that at least one bolt of my gearbox come lose :surprise:
Tighten it, and it seems I have less engine rattle. Perhaps I have others?

How it drives now?
The clutch seems slightly better, but not massively.
The gears engage a tiny bit smoother and backwards do less crunch and engage more consistently.
Due to space constraints I couldn't tighten the bolt to the gearbox really well, so is possible that even a millimeter less in distance from the clutch lever, could have a better result.
I'll work on it another day.

The bracket is ~30£. Is worth it? Possibly yes, due to the low price.
Is worth the time and blood? Not sure. If you really care to get every drop of fun from you car, then go for it. Otherwise.... happy driving!

Is worth noticing that I have already the MS slick-shift and bell crank.

Discussion starter · #107 ·
I ve taken a couple of pictures of the bracket in place.

I ve managed to thigten it well.
The gear change definitely improved a bit, make the is car a much better drive.

Had a 4 hours trip to Wales, and Gloria felt and driven very solid.

I ve bought a Hel performance full length SS braided clutch line, that a Bristol garage will fit these days.

Fuel line Auto part Engine

Auto part Engine Pipe Fuel line Vehicle

Ather works the garage will do:

• Full breaking lines replacement with kuniver
  • Elise parts lower engine mount
  • Rear SS brake hose
  • Full polybush conversion
  • Rust removal and undersealant
  • New rear AEB mounts

Discussion starter · #108 ·
Still waiting for my Gloria to be releases by the garage.
The guy told me the car looks really good and the clutch is nice and smooth... tomorrow should be ready.
Finger crosed.

Meanwhile, the wise and omniscient Mike Satur delivered his shiny heat shield for the backbox... can't wait to fit it!

Discussion starter · #110 ·
They are beautiful! I also got the trim for the heat shield for the wise Mike :)

So, picked-up the car form the garage and had a 20 miles driver. I'll post a few findings.

Rust removal and underseal
Not much to say, other than the car looks much better and much of the superficial rust has gone.

SS Braided single clutch line
I've replace the clutch pipe, hose and terminal with a single SS braided clutch line from HEL performance.
Aside getting rid of rusty and choppy line, I don't think there has been any noticeable benefits in changing gear.
The mechanic told me to wait for it to bed in. We'll see.

New braking pipes and rear SS braided hoses
Changed all braking pipes with non-rusting pipes, and finally fitted rear SS braided hoses.
Can't say I feel any difference, on braking, but I had the brakes already fully uprated: all around bigger disks. Front AP callipers and front braided hoses.

Full polybush conversion (front+rear) and Elise parts lower engine mount
Here is where things get interesting.
There are a number of squeaks and more vibration, as expected, and the ride is much stiffer. But is not uncomfortable.

Anyway, the car completely transformed the drive: it is like driving a go-kart. Is absolutely a charm around turns, roundabout and is bloody stable.
It reminded my new 124 Abarth.

Additionally, the acceleration is completely over the roof. There is so much more torque available. The RPM go up so quickly, as never before.
The car just push forward as soon as I use my foot.
If I should give a finger in the air number... I could say it feel 15% more torque.

I don't know if it is all engine mount doing or, if converting to polybush, removed some torque dampening from 18 years old bushes.
Fact is, was a blast yesterday!

I'll post more impressions once I'll make a longer drive.

Discussion starter · #111 ·
For squeaking bad.
I think the ARB bushes are dry, after being waxoiled.
Tried to put some copper grease and high performance, long lasting lubricant, but with the bar in place that I could not ger bothered jacking the car up and free the bar.

We ll see if the squaking reduce.
Atherwise... Garage again. As after paying, I pretend a smooth ride.

I polybushed my lower engine tie-bar after getting some problems with clutch judder on pulling away. I figured the engine was moving too much under torque for some reason (old engine mounts?) and that caused enough elasticity to allow juddering to occur. Anyway, the car was just buzzing with vibration when I started it up and drove it after fitting the tie-bar polybushes. At 1400rpm, the entire dashboard started to buzz loudly. I could feel every little misfire in the engine through the back of my seat (my car has a slight misfire, at idle anyway). It did stop the judder but it was so uncivilised I had to go back to the rubber tie-bar bushes. Some posters on here had similar experiences but claimed things got better after about 500-1000 miles. I never got that far! Nice project by the way :)

Discussion starter · #114 · (Edited)
Thanks Nocturneblue!

Update on polybushes!
As penitence to not ahve bought MS polybush, but a crap kit years ago, that the garagae fitted, the scraping noise was the bushes out of tolerance.

The garage, that is really competent, friendly and honest, remove lower arms and grinded the bushes to right dimension.
Charging nothing for the work!
M J N Motors in Bristol, if happen you are in the same region.

Car now drive fantastic! Really really impressed!

Additionally, MS new heat shiled has been fitted!

This was an experiment, to see how the MS shield trim fitted on the new shield.
But I ve been "insulted" by Mike himself for trying ?

101 - 116 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.