MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i wounder if anybody can help i have a an mg zs 1.8 k series which i done substantial amount of work on the issue i have is driving mi mad and annoying when i accelerate hard no problem goes well its only when i let my foot off the pedel on the over run car misses like a misfire and the same noise as one but no eml on if i drive the car normal speed the car drives perfect

Things i,ve do
new head gasket lines checked for sinking all fine (the problem was there before head gasket change)
valves checked for leaking
new plugs leads and coils
full exhaust system
cam sensor
crank sensor
tps sensor
cleaned stepper motor

any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after going backwards and forwards with issues it turned out to be the gap on the plugs closed to 0.7 runs like a dream unbelievable.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Glad you sorted it and thanks for reporting back. Coincidently my ZT started misfiring sometimes recently. So to start I cleaned all the LT connections and cam sensor, changed the plugs, setting the gap to 0.8mm ( they come set at 1mm usually). This worked - cleared the misfire. Not sure whether it was the new plugs or gap, but my older k powered cars always required a smaller gap than the 1mm they set them to now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very true every body says 1.0mm or even manual and all other enthusiast people out there but i disagree ive have had plenty of k series engines in the past with little petty issues and reduced the gap on them to cure silly misfire

i held back with mine doing this so i could rule out every problem 1 at a time and the other thing ive learned over time with random misfire issues is look for arching in wires lift the bonnet at night and you will see shorting this gives you a good indicator the wires are failing for the coils and ht leads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts