MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the RAVE for the TF has been officially available to buy since 2010, but XPart have now released for general sale a legacy copy of RAVE on CD which covers the Rover Group era models, including the MGF.

Just thought you might like to know (assuming you haven't already seen the information elsewhere:))

·
Registered
mgf
3,583 Posts
has it been updated Man in the car? ive not looked at the XPart version... does it still say use Rover tools - no longer available?

my copy is an ebay rip off.. its the whole thing ... all the models on one CD - bought a long time ago.. and though its very good.. the tools it says to use cant be sourced anymore..

and the electrical circuit diagrams dont go into enough detail for some repairs... even though they do give the bulk detail and are invaluable for circuit tracing.

the startup of my CD has this cover

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is the same edition as was available to dealers in 2005, and whilst some of the 'special' tools it refers to are no longer available, some are still obtainable (but are expensive), and in any case, the majority of the 'special' tools are not actually necessary - alternatives can be easily used, and some of the specified tools were fairly simple pices and most people competent to do the work with them will probably be equally competent to manufacture their own version of the 'special' tool. With a small number of exceptions, anybody who is unable to carry out the dismantling/re-assembly of the relevant parts with the tools which they should have available to them perhaps shouldn't be attempting to do the work in the first place :dunno:

I don't know about the wiring diagrams not be detailed enough? - unless you want to dismantle the the ECUs and electronic components, I would have thought it plenty detailed enough. Certainly it contained enough imformation for the dealer technitians. Complex electronic units would always be sent back to the original manufacturer for exchange if they required repair, so if you wanted to repair a damaged ECU for instance, you would need to contact the original manufacture for any circuit diagrams/service manual for them.

The advantage of this new release is that it is fully legal and not subject to a licence with an expiry date, so no having to change the clock on your computer to get it to load as one has to do for the illegally pirated copies. It also gains by including the relevant technical bulletins (which aren't on all versions of the dealer discs), and of course you are fully legal (whereas a pirated copy carries the inferfence of breaking the law ;)).

Regardless of anything, it is the same workshop manual that the dealers used, and is the most detailed and comprehensive manual available.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Who's going to start the legal action on anyone in possession of an illegal copy...?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,929 Posts
Who's going to start the legal action on anyone in possession of an illegal copy...?
Xpart being the copyright holders have gone after volume sellers of RAVE copies in the past, but in reality I doubt that they will now.

·
Registered
mgf
3,583 Posts
mine loads fine without a time limit.. and i can access the whole CD without running its program.. ie i know what file on the cd to open.. i open it just by loading the CD without running its program.. and open the file i want. i can copy the whole cd... win 10 doesnt have a problem with copying.

i only mentioned it because until the rover website went down.. all the info was available free there, pretty much the whole CD on the web..

it used to have this link... no longer available

http://www.mgrover-online.com/?p=276 ( as an example and it no longer works )

when i bought the CD i have.. it wasnt banned or illegal to buy.. it was a copy.. and it was pennies.. on ebay.

i bought it because i could... why does anyone buy anything?

**** your moral judgements.

When one looks at the price asked for T4 an obsolete and outdated system... i am not surprised that folks make new ways of doing it .

does anyone run T4 on Win10? is it transferable? can you make a cheap copy? i might buy it.

·
Registered
mgf
3,583 Posts
"Who's going to start the legal action on anyone in possession of an illegal copy...?"

do you want to?

think carefully about that.

are you innocent? have you never used something outside of its copyright limitation? knowingly or unknowingly?

would you like someone to investigate that?

just because you dont know... does not make you innocent.

·
Registered
mgf
3,583 Posts
if anything., i just contributed to questions about the "New" Rave.. once upon a time it was free or available for very little expense.

now its a business...

and derived from profit... so is the " new " better than the old... was my question..

and no... i think its just the same, at least ten years out of date.

time moves on.. and Rave? it stands still, and asks you to pay more for it.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
"Who's going to start the legal action on anyone in possession of an illegal copy...?"

do you want to?

think carefully about that.

are you innocent? have you never used something outside of its copyright limitation? knowingly or unknowingly?

would you like someone to investigate that?

just because you dont know... does not make you innocent.
We respect, I think you misunderstood my question.

Like you, and I suspect thousands of others, I too have an 'illegal' copy of Rave. I was simply asking if anyone was now bothered...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i only mentioned it because until the rover website went down.. all the info was available free there, pretty much the whole CD on the web..

it used to have this link... no longer available

http://www.mgrover-online.com/?p=276 ( as an example and it no longer works )

when i bought the CD i have.. it wasnt banned or illegal to buy.. it was a copy.. and it was pennies.. on ebay.
You clearly do not even begin to understand the concept of 'copyright'. The copy you bought on eBay WAS illegal - it was illegally copied by someone who sold those copies on without permission/authorisation from XPart (who are the copyright holders). They have taken legal action against such sellers in the past. It was illegal for the seller to sell it, and, by definition, also illegal for you to buy. I realise that didn't really stop most people buying one.

RAVE used to be available on the web, but to bone fide MG Rover dealers only. If you were getting into the XPart technical website and downloading it, then you were probably doing so by hacking. All of the web sources for download of RAVE that were accesible to people other than dealers were illegally pirating copies. The former website that you have linked to wasn't anything to do with MG Rover or XPart.

.. once upon a time it was free or available for very little expense.
It was only freely available for very little cost via illegally pirated copies.

Pirating and illegal copying of copyright material has become rife on the internet, but all things cost something for the originator to produce, and if they make nothing from it, the end result will be that such things will not be produced in the future - and if it isn't produced you won't be able to get hold of a copy, either legally or illegally.

·
Registered
mgf
3,583 Posts
was it not available here- free? http://www.mgrover-online.com/?p=276 ( as an example and it no longer works )

i could ... until it stopped.

the prerogative was that i should not publish any part of it on websites like this one... not that could not use it.

so i used it until it stopped... and now? i use the CD ...

and i will be honest in saying to help others here understand the car they love that wasnt working... i shared pages and links..

information that helps the mgf ... keep going... is not defined by copyright.. any more than a legal speed limit stops one breaking it.

i was once speed limit breaking on my way to the hospital to reach my mother who had been seriously burned in a fire... i paid the fine... mitigation made no difference..

i dont say that the law is the truth.

and i say copyright is upheld by the law.. not the user..

The user will break the law. its point has no consideration of circumstance, its a point.. thats all it is..
I think the philosophy of law has much still to learn from nature.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
56 Posts
I posted this in the 400 section, but thought more people might respond here.( Rave bought legally from Rimmers)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Can I ask if you are using the latest version of W10? (Updated to 2004 fairly recently)
I ask because I think mine worked before this update.
Coincidently I have just updated to 2004 W10 update. Rave working fine. By the way, Rave is on my hard drive, not on CD. It is a legal version.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts