MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jacobzr120
mg_zr
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it best to get replacement front wings from another ZR thats being broken up in as good condition as possible as most are rusting through including mine! Or get a non-genuine one from ebay?

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,134 Posts
Good luck with finding one in a breakers with wings that are in an acceptable state to be worthwhile - most are either bent due to a front end collision, or rotten.

I think you will find that part numbers ASB45004 and ASB 45005 are for the earlier bubble Rover 200 - not suitable for the 25/ZR as they are a different shape at the front.

You need Fender RH-ASB470040 or Fender LH-ASB470050 for a 25 or ZR.

You will almost certainly find that the mounting bracket which carries the captivated bolts which hold the bumper up to the wing will be rotten beyond redemption too (and the nuts are also 90% likely to be rusted up and the bolts will simply twist off when you try to undo them, so you will need a replacement bracket. With care (and some penetrating fluid), you should be able to undo the nut that holds this bracket to the bracket connected to the inner wing. If not, both brackets are also available. Genuine ones: Bracket; bumper to wing-DPP100960 and Bracket; bumper to inner wing. You will also need new nuts: Nut/washer. You could of course use an ordinary M6 nut and a seperate washer, which would be a bit cheaper :)
There is a seller on eBay who has fabricated replacement bumper to wing brackets in stainless steel - Stainless bumper brackets - they are more expensive, but worth considering if you expect to keep the car for a few years.

If you use the genuine MG Rover ordinary steel ones, I would recommend applying a good dose of waxoyl over them after assembly.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
I can say with experience that pattern/aftermarket parts are a poor fit and rust bad, get a tidy genuine used wing.

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
43 Posts
and if on your search for a wing you come across a nice front left door for a five door 2004 25 could you let me know?

·
Jacobzr120
mg_zr
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and if on your search for a wing you come across a nice front left door for a five door 2004 25 could you let me know?
If you join a couple of the facebook groups you may have some luck as there are quite a few zrs being broken, it's just finding one in the right colour and location

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
43 Posts
I had another look at the car. I think that maybe the door is repairable. It doesn't line up too well with the front wing but I think that it isn't an original one but actually a pattern wing. Compared with the other side there are some subtle differences. It's interesting that someone commented that the pattern ones don't fit well.
In my case it fits will except that the curvature at the door gap seems slightly different so it seems to bulge out from the side of the car more than the door.
I thing I might eventually pull the wing off to give me better access to the leading edge of the door so I can straighten and repaint it and at the same time look at fettling the wing a bit sort out the panel gap.

I'm not a big fan of Facebook. There seem to be so many groups for the same thing, and interesting stuff seems to pass by, get lost in the noise and disappear too quickly. I think that these traditional internet forums are more suited to car groups myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts