MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1073 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The used / second hand front disc backing plates showed up today (thanks again Carl).

They are in good condition generally and so I decided to treat them to a coat of Silver high temperature paint to add some protection. I thought I would go Silver as pretty much everything else under the wheel arches is Black.

I will probably treat them to a second coat either later tonight or first thing in the morning before I go to work.

Will let them dry for 24 hours, then hopefully tomorrow and Wednesday evening I can get both sides all back together again.

Have a good evening all

·
Super Moderator
11,009 Posts
Hi Ian. Can't think how I have not seen this post until now. It sure looks like a big job but you are making real progress. Thanks for the interesting thread. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi Ian. Can't think how I have not seen this post until now. It sure looks like a big job but you are making real progress. Thanks for the interesting thread. :laugh:
Thank you kind Sir, much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Small update tonight for the work done between Dinner and the start of the football :smile:

Got the NS brake disc baking plate, the disc and hub assembly and the caliper fitted up again. This included new inner and outer wheel bearings.

Set the torque and clearance as per the manual and everything rotates beautifully - much different to before!

Just need to give the discs a quick spray with brake cleaner to get rid of the finger prints and the wheel can go back on.

Tomorrow night = the OS.

Have a good evening everyone.

Reactions: LeRich

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Small update tonight.

Two jobs completed:

1) I replaced the ring terminal on the end of the brake master cylinder - something else Mr Clumsy must have damaged when I removed the manifolds... I convinced myself that I had a stash of M8 Stainless bolts, one of which I was going to use - do you think I could find them?! Anyway, when they turn up I will swap that rusty thing out.

2) Got the OS hub and disc assembly fitted. Just like the other side, fresh bearings, grease etc was used and the caliper refitted. So that officially concludes the work on the front suspension and braking system. :D

As with the other side, I will give the disc a good clean down with some brake cleaner before the wheel goes back on.

Onwards!

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Couple of tiny jobs completed tonight:

1) While I was looking for something else entirely, I found my tub of Stainless fasteners:

2) Fitted the new coolant temperature sensor that arrived today:

As soon as I had fitted that I could hear a voice behind me saying "clean that thermostat housing up while you are in there doing the carb" - he's right of course and I will... :lol:

Have a good evening everyone.

Reactions: Dorchester

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
With a few spare minutes this morning, I decided to quickly have a go at polishing the carb.

I found my Dremmel and simply using a small wire brush attachment (no metal polish at all - run out!) it went from this:

to this in about 30 minutes

Quite a big difference already. Once I have got hold of some more Autosol, it should make it look a bit better still.

With the wind in my sails, I decided to also have a go at the shabby looking thermostat housing as well. This went from this:

To this in only 5 minutes:

Have a good weekend everyone.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
This afternoon's mission has been accomplished, the NSF wing is off....

The good news is that the top mounting rail is in great shape, as is the 'A' pillar. The bad news is (as I already knew is that the wing itself is in a real state, as is the bulhead to floor area.

This will be a good test of my fabrication and welding skills - wish me luck!

Yeah of course I could just get a replacement wing, but what am I going to learn by doing that? You can remind me of those words when it all goes pear shaped :lol:

Cheers all.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Personally. I'd buy a new wing. It's one less bit of tin worm you'd have to worry about (by the looks of it. You've got plenty!).

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Early start today. I stuck a small wire wheel on the end of my power drill and set to work.

Before:

And after an hour:

Interestingly, the 'A' post panel looks to be original:

The chassis rail near the bolt is rusting and will certainly need attention.

However, the unexpected good news is that the jacking point is actually solid, something I definitely wasn't expecting. So basically its the flooring either side of the jacking point and the corner piece that comes around to meet the 'A' post that are the worst bit.

To be honest, I expected far worse than that so bizarrely I am quite pleased and positive.

Have a good day all.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Personally. I'd buy a new wing. It's one less bit of tin worm you'd have to worry about (by the looks of it. You've got plenty!).
Decent Manta / Mk1 Cavalier wings are becoming quite tricky to find now Spudgun. You can reckon on between £100-200.

Most of the ones you find need work anyway, so I will have a play with the one I have for now.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just spent a few minutes peeling the carpet back and removing some of the sound deadening material - this is what we see from inside:

Always take the positives - it could have been worse :grin:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Quick update this evening.

Removed the passenger seat and center console to allow the carpet to be cleared away from that area.

This gives a little more space to move of course as well as removing a couple of sources of ignition - plus a clearer view of just what lies ahead - gulp!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Comparing before & after, TBF it's a stunning result!
Never had I thought you will 'extract' so much from that appeared as a heap of rust & rotten metal...
Hats off! :broon:

Reactions: IanMc

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The missing piece of my exhaust jigsaw turned up today, happy days.

The surface rust will get attacked with a wire wheel, then a coating of Silver high temperature paint.

The silencer in this downpipe section means that the car will be back to how it was when I took delivery = 3 silencers.

And a short time later...

Have a good evening all.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Wish I had you motivation for attacking projects, mine just sit around for years with very little being done to them and in the case of my Mk3Cortina and Panther 650 decades :(

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Wish I had you motivation for attacking projects, mine just sit around for years with very little being done to them and in the case of my Mk3Cortina and Panther 650 decades :(
Ask Tim & Fuzz Car SOS help! :wink:

41 - 60 of 1073 Posts