MG-Rover.org Forums banner

861 - 880 of 937 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Today the Burgundy Leatherette arrived, so this meant that we could take another small step forwards on the door cards this evening:

Armed with the old strip as a template a strip of the new material was cut and the tools assembled:

First it was necessary to use some pegs to hold the old to the new. This was because if the old material 'memory':

Eventually we had the shape:

Then the bend lines were marked out to help with the alignment during the gluing stage:

I then pinned one end to help me keep things straight:

Then a lot of pegs were added to clamp the rail to the new material temporarily:

Then off to the garage...

Spray adhesive was added to the curved surface of the rail:

Once that surface was secure, I removed the pegs and did the top 'wrap around' section:

Then it was time to try to reattach the window seal strip. I used one of our members brilliant idea of dress making pins to locate the staple holes - you know who you are!
:thumbup

Then starting at the middle and working my way out to both ends, remove each pair of pins and replace with a staple inserted by hand:

And with the staple pushed through the material on the inside face:

Then the legs were bend over with a screwdriver to clamp the strip to the material and the rail:

So now we have this - note the supervision that was pretty much constant this evening...
:lol:

Naturally the ends needed to also be tucked under the rail, hence the pegs as the adhesive dries.

Hopefully tomorrow evening I can attempt to put the rubber strip back to the top of the door and then rivet the top metal rail to the door card.

Onwards!

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #863
Just a little bit done this evening as I have a very early start tomorrow morning.
I marked out the door card ready for the top rubber profile strip 'thing':

Then after applying a couple of runs of the adhesive you can see, it was time to apply the strip:

Finally I added a few clamps and then left it to dry overnight (this photo shows the back face):

Have a nice evening everyone.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
A little more progress on the Drivers side door card this morning.
First it was time to mark out and then drill the rivet holes for the top rail:

Then the first couple of rivets were inserted (at either end) to hold everything in place as I moved along:

All rivets in and secure (phew!):

Then I stood the door card up and pulled the Burgundy Leatherette tight over the rubber to make sure: a) it was going to look OK and b) it was long enough to still reace the face of the door card - all good!

I think I might make the other side about an inch longer though, just to make things a little more relaxing...

Then I thought it would be nice to do a quick mock up with the bottom carpet, chrome dividing strips etc to get an idea of how all the colours might come together in the end. I think it will look OK.

The mock up did highlight one small error though - I had missed a slot for the bottom chrome strip:

So naturally I cut that out while I thought of it.
For a while I have had the intention of adding a little more padding behind the actual door car fabric, it just felt too hard when you touched it. I found this 2 mm 'fabric packing out foam' on Ebay, designed for upholstery work, so decided I would give that a go. My hope is it will add a small touch of quality and sound deadening to each door.

So I then set about cutting it to the necessary blank size:

My wing man was in close attendance as usual - bless him

To be continued later

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
A bit more progress. Now it was time to turn my attention to the carpet that sits at the bottom of the Cav's doors. years of dirt and UV had seriously taken its toll, but thankfully the actual material structure was still very good.
Following the advice of my new buddy at Carpetright, I pressed on with the spray idea. This s the colour I had previously chosen to try to bring as much of the old and new colours together as I though possible.

How the carpet looked before we started:

So on we went with the first coat, starting with the edges:

The the front face:

A short time ago, the second dusting went on:

Fingers crossed, but I think it might work out quite well

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
So after three dustings the carpet is about as good as its going to get:

At least its a consistent colour across its length now.

So with that done, it was time to apply some spray adhesive and start to stick things on. Firstly the Burgundy Leatherette to the rubber strip at the top, then the 2 mm foam 'packing' and then finally the carpet. Then the carpet will need stapling on the other side as it has about a half inch 'return'.

Fingers crossed everything stays in place or its back out with more adhesive.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #869
After a trial fit of the the top chrome strip, I decided that the length of the leatherette door cap was just a tiny bit too short. I could make it fit by pulling the material tight over the rubber, but I was worried that this might introduce some wrinkles or strain the top rail retaining rivets. So I took the decision to remove it and make a new piece... a bit painful I know, but what the hell
:unsure:

So here is the new piece in place waiting for the window seal Black strip to be stapled in place:

After that I could turn my attention to trimming and tucking in the ends. I also decided to add some staplers this time to hold everything better and keep some slight tension on the material. I know the staples are not 'pretty', but my staple gun decided it wanted to continuously misfire this morning, meaning that it was pure chance whether anything came out and where...

Then I stapled the bottom carpet return to the back of the door card (as original) - again my staple gun made this interesting!

Then it was time to cut the 2 mm packing foam in the areas of the door pull, lock and winder holes:

Then staple and glue back the 'wings':

This is how the Drivers door card looks at the moment - now I need to get some of the fabric ordered, so I can actually finish one of these door cards!!!

Have a nice day everyone

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
Last little bit, in fact the only bit, that can be done now while I wait for the main piece of door card fabric to arrive - clean the chrome top and bottom dividing strips:

They have come up very well and really shows that GM really were using quality materials and processes 40 years ago:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #871
After a refreshing walk into town, I thought I would make a start on the Passenger side door card - yawn!

So we started with this:

And after 30 minutes, thanks to what I have learnt on the other side, we had this:

After grinding off the sharp edges on the top rail and removing all of the old adhesive, rust etc, it was time for a couple of coats of paint:

While my paint mask was out, I thought I might as well give the carpet its first coat as well:

Don't worry everyone, I wont be going into such detail with this side, simply because its the same as the other side and I cant be bothered to go through it all again

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
Despite a pretty manic week at work, some progress on the door cards has been made:
1) I have now ordered the fabric that will be used for the middle part of the door cards and this should be delivered to the shop in town in a few days. This will allow me to then add some iron on backing material and then attempt to stitch in the three pleats that add some texture and interest to the door cards.

2) The Leatherette cap for the Drivers side has been trimmed back and punched to allow the chrome diving strip to be trial fitted, as you can see here:

3) The passenger side card has come a little way along and is now almost at the same stage as the Drivers side. I just need to staple the return of the carpet to the rear face, trim and tuck under the excess material for the cap and then cut the apertures in the foam for the door lock slider and the door pull/release handle. This might all get done later, or more likely tomorrow now as I want to make sure that the spray adhesive has dried nicely.

4) Earlier I also gave the Drivers side door handle and pocket a scrub and a going over with some dashboard cleaner - they seem to have come up quite well considering their age!

Cheers all, have a lovely weekend

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #873
This morning I have cut out the apertures in the foam on the NS door card, stapled the bottom carpet in place and trimmed and tucked in the top capping Leatherette.
So now I await the arrival of the main fabric...
I might make a start on the NS seat later. My thinking is to get it out, turn it upside down and then to try to make a bit of a strip down plan.
I have to admit to being pretty anxious at the prospect of making my own replacement seat covers, but hey, what’s the worst that can happen?! :D

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
I have a few days off this week, so I decided that this morning I remove the Passenger seat and start thinking about stripping that down for the 'seat cover mini project'. My Passenger seat is in way better condition that the Drivers seat, but if I take that out now it limits me somewhat with moving the car around:

Of course the seat actually had to come out first, so for those that are not familiar (and there cant be many lol), this is how you do it:
Peel back the carpet that covers the front mounting bar and remove the four M8 bolts and the retaining brackets:

The rear of the seat is of course captive on the runners, so you have to spread the 'claw' wide enough to get the seat of of these:

Once that is all done the seat will simply lift out.
Get the seat indoors and sitting on something that will protect your indoor furnishings, as these things are bound to have grease and muck underneath from years of lubrication etc.
Then take photos of EVERYTHING you can see and think of. These might just save you some heartache and head scratching later on! Pay particular attention to joins, linkages etc
Here's just a few random examples of the ton that I took:

My plan of attack was basically to try to split the seat back from the base and then start to remove the covers.
It appeared that this wouldn't be too difficult as these two parts were seemingly only held together by two bolts and a hinge assembly:
The bolts are located on the wheel adjuster side - one easy to get at and one hidden behind some material:

The exposed one would be easy of course, but I reasoned that the one behind the material would need me to start to peel the cover forward from the hinge to be able to get to the other one - so this is how we did it.
Turn the seat over and at the back you will see some hog rings that hold the material taught - remove all of these. It would be pretty, but just bend and pull them until they give up...

Once they are all off, you can start to feed the back of the cover through the crease/hinge area of the seat:

They push and pull the edges of the cover off of the metal 'pegs' all the way around:

At one end there is a little clip that you need to prise off to allow the material to finally let go of the frame:

At this point you should have enough movement in the cover to expose the bolt you wanted to get at:

With both bolts removed, the only thing holding both parts of the seat together is the hinge assembly. There is a small 'E' clip to push off and a spacer washer here:

With the 'E' clip and washer removed, you simply push the back rest off the hinge pin to separate the two parts:

So now I have this:

To be continued...
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #875
With the seat in two, it was now time to tr to remove the covers.
I started with the base. After the material was pulled off the pegs at the perimeter, it was simply a case of peeling the back section forward and the forward section back - until it stops at about the 2/3 back mark.
This is because there is some more hog rings holding everything nice and secure. Naturally, those need to be cut away:

With the hog rings gone, off came the cover:

The foam itself looks pretty good, with just a few small holes - maybe these are burn marks or just air pockets from manufacture? Either way,. I cant believe that they will affect anything, so I am just going to ignore those:

Next the back rest cover...

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
The cover for the back rest is a different animal on the basis that it has to cover the seat all the way around.
This means that the only opening is at the point closest to the floor of the car, in other words where you cant see it easily. So start looking there and you will find some more hog rings and some half circle clips holding everything together and taught.

Cut away the hog rings, then lever up the clips with a screwdriver and they will let go:

This frees up the open end of the cover and allows you to start peeling the cover back:

Eventually you will meet two obstacles - more hog ring and the lever for hinging the seat back forward:

Cut away the hog rings and (as I couldn't pull the knob off), I decided to make some 'tactical' cuts in the old cover to get over the knob/lever:

This allowed me to slip the cover off completely:

The next job is to start looking at unpicking the stitching of each cover to end up with some templates.
So far, so good I guess

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #877
This afternoon I found myself in Hobbycraft, Chelmsford and one of the staff recommended this little tool for the unpicking of stitching.

No excuses now

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
And so it begins...

So now I have the piping and the 'quilted section in the middle to remove from the edge strips - hopefully I can get this done tomorrow.
Oh yeah and I also have to remove the lower Black strip on the vinyl that locates on the frame pegs...

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
A bit my strip down work done on the Passenger front seat base this morning.
I set about removing the plastic piping from the base material. It appears as if GM used some 'locating' stitching to get the basic position for this part in a different colour - in this case Black. This theme continues in other areas of the seat base too as you will see from below. The 'main' stitching however matches the seat base and associated coloured materials:

After unpicking any/all remaining stitches it comes free:

Then remove any stitching that remains on the piping itself. In this photo you can clearly see the two colours of thread:

I then took the piping strip to a warm tap and gave it a decent wash/scrub up. As you will see, it really came up beautifully clean so I will certainly be using this again:

Next I must turn my attention to the main seat area. This has more than one layer, all of which must be unpicked so that I can work out what I need to do to recreate this in my new covers...
:rolleyes:

Again the Black and Red thread is clearly seen here:

Have a nice day everyone.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Next it was time to strip the foam and generally padding from the framework of the seat.
Before I did that though I glued the White material covers for the bolster areas of the foam on the backrest. I assume that these made it easier to fit the cover during assembly as they save you 'snagging' and tearing the foam as you push the cover down over them:

So with that small job out of the way, I could remove the foam on the seat base - a dead easy job as it simply lifts away after you ease off just a few small dabs of adhesive.

Next I needed to remove the foam and padding etc from the backrest. This was also simple once two more hog rings were located and removed from the very bottom of the frame:

Once these were off, I was able to peel back the wadding from the thin lower frame bar:

And then proceed to simply slide the frame out of the padded 'parcel':

Leaving this:

As you can see from the photos above, both frames have some light surface rust, so I decided to try to do a half decent job and wire brushed them and added some paint. As the base frame would be semi visible when fitted in the car, I gave it some gloss Black (as original). It looks as if the back rest frame was mostly unpainted when new, but I wanted to give it some basic protection, so just dusted it with some primer.

Tonight is Archery night, so that's it for today

861 - 880 of 937 Posts