MG-Rover.org Forums banner

961 - 974 of 974 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #963
The Drivers side seat was removed earlier, so now I am in the process of stripping that down.

As it is just a repeat of the Passenger side, I am not going to bore you with repeating the above text and photos etc.

However, I have decided that I am going to try to increase headroom slightly by lowering the Drivers seat height. Having thought through some of the suggestions on the Opel Manta Owners Club forum, I have decided that I think that I will go for a 'cut and shut method. This will basically mean cutting a piece out of the seat base/mounting frame.

Assuming my measurements and high school trigonometry are something like correct, I have calculated that by removing 25 mm length from the frame tube I can get the following:

  • With the seat in its most forward position, I can gain an additional 20 mm of headroom.
  • With the seat in its rear most position, I can gain an additional 25 mm of headroom.
As I usually have the seat in approx the mid to 2/3 back position, I should achieve around 22-23 mm of additional headroom. So i think that this is the way that I am going to go...

I will be sure to update you with photos etc as I progress.



Have a good day everyone - stay safe, stay well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #964
OK folks, so this is what we are starting with:







And with the proposed cut lines in Blue, hopefully the camera has just about picked them up...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #965
So the cutting is done and we have this:





As you will see, you are then faced with the problem of the angled section of tubular frame not reaching across far enough to join up. I plan to construct a bridge piece using this piece of plate Steel:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #966
Quick update.

I managed to get the welding done over my lunch break (working from home now...) and dressed them off quickly with a flap wheel.







Everything seems to still hinge correctly and it sits level - always a positive lol

Its not particularly pretty, but it is certainly very strong, which I was worried about.

I will probably fit the backrest temporarily this evening and bolt it back in to see if I now clear the roof in my preferred seating position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Well, this morning I did a quick trial fit and discovered that Mr Dumb had struck again
:lol:


Why did it not occur to me to investigate why the front of the Drivers seat frame is a different shape to the Passenger side?!?!?!

The reason is that there is a bulge in the trans tunnel to floor area at that point... you can see it here in the center of this photo:



So when you put a butchered seat in like mine, you get this:





Yes the elbow of the frame now hits the bulge and wont allow you to bolt the seat down - oops!
:lol:


Oh well I have some 25 mm tubing and some more plate, so I will just re-profile that area over the next few days and let you know how it all goes.

Yet another school boy error!

Take care everyone x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #969
You can still use washers in order to bolt the seat down.
Hi my friend - yes I could do that, but then I would end up close to where I started again i.e. with the seat no lower.

I will cut the frame much higher up (above this shoulder) and then fabricate a tubular/plate section to keep me away from the bulge.
 

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
Joined
·
12,416 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #971
Some work done to the Drivers seat mounting frame this morning to try to overcome/correct my stupid error.
I decided to cut the frame right back to down leg of the right hand (as you look from the pedals) pivot point:



My thinking was to try to weld another piece of tubing parallel to, and just about 6 mm below the main seat frame - something like this:



After welding everything back up straight, it all worked OK:



I did think of trying to add some extra weld to that smaller diameter to build it all back up to the same size - but its already very strong and who is going to go looking at that anyway, so didnt bother. Of course there is still a little more weld dressing to do, but that's a job for later.

Then it was time to try it in the car:



Success! - it all clears the bump in the floor/trans tunnel and there is full movement forward and back. But what about the headroom?!, I hear you cry - the whole reason for doing this in the first place of course. Again success, I now have clearance from 1/4 back on the seat rail, right through to the rearmost seating. My preferred seating position is somewhere between those two points, so all good - very pleased.
:thumbup


Now I can make a start on the seat covers for that side...
:)


Take care all x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #973
Today I made a start on the drivers side seat base cover. I needed to remove all the stitches so I could make the necessary templates. Here is the mess I am starting with...






Oh by the way, not sure if I showed you before the little tool I have been using. Its called a seam ripper and really makes light work of popping stitches. The following photos give you an idea of how it works with its tiny (but extremely sharp) blade:









They only cost £2-3 and it is a really helpful little tool
:thumbup
 
961 - 974 of 974 Posts
Top