MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1053 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
excellent work mate looking so good took my mgf out yesterday the first time since october, apart from putting a recharged battery in and inflating the tyres she started up first time and drove sweet filled her up for 1.02 a litre

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,004
During the build I swapped the rotten Cavalier doors for donated Manta doors. All I needed to do was to swap the hatch glass for Coupe glass - or so I thought...

It turn s out that the Manta's used 8 spline regulator input shafts, whereas the Cav had 16 splines. This meant that I was unable to reuse the original Cavalier winder handles. After weighing up my options, I opted to swap over the regulators from the Manta doors to my (saved) original Cav ones - meaning I could now refit the original winders. A couple of hours work, just for a winder handle - still got the other side to do as well yet lol

Anyway... now I have this again:

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,005
This mornings small win was to swap over the Manta 8 spline to (original Cav) 16 spline window regulator in the Drivers side door. As you will see from the below photo I managed to get that done. In my opinion, the Cav GLS chrome surround ones look much better in my car.

Today's top tip: dont ever let anyone convince you that its as good idea to try to save time by not removing the glass when you change a regulator on your own.... I tried to do it this way and in the end I took the glass out - I just didn't have enough hands
:lol:

Have a nice weekend everyone.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,007

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,008
This afternoon I wanted to experiment on a small section of the car to see how it would react to my flatting and compounding. The car was painted about a year ago using White Gloss coach enamel paint (wacky man!).

I chose the bottom of the NSR quarter, only because it was the nearest to the door and the bushes on the driveway are now so overgrown I didnt want to risk going right up

This is what I started with:

The process I used - only really because these were the materials in my garage:
320 grit wet and dry
600 grit wet and dry
1200 grit wet and dry
G3 compound applied with a sponge head on an electric drill.
(No polish yet applied)

So after about 30 minutes, this is what we have:

The photos dont do it a justice really, its come up really well.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I remember looking at the pics after you'd sprayed it and I thought then it would benefit from flatting back then a good polish (but was far too polite to say so, especially with my awful paint skills) - looks like a worthwhile improvement!!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,011
I decided to spend some time on the rest of the NSR quarter this afternoon. I started with this:

As you can see, its very flat and orange peely. I used the same equipment as yesterday and ended up with this:

It is much better, but I think that I might have another go in the week with the 1200 grit and G3 compound, just to see if I can coach a bit more out of it. Have to be honest and say that I worry about burning through the paint though, especially as I am using a power tool for the G3.

Have a nice evening everyone.
:thumbup

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,012
This evening I made a start flatting the paint on the NS door and front wing.
I used the 360 and 600 grit papers, then tomorrow I hope to hit it them with the 1200 grit and the G3

Strangely, I actually find the whole process quite therapeutic - sad really isn't it

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,491 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,014
I managed to get a bit more flatting and compounding done on the nearside this afternoon. Pretty happy so far.

Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,015
This afternoon I flatted and compounded the front panel - its come up pretty well again.

I'm off work tomorrow, so I can put the lights back in, bumper on etc. After that I'm off for a drive to Barnard Castle, I hear its very nice

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,017
Made a small start on the wet sanding/flatting of the boot lid at lunch today. This is what I started with:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018
As hoped, I manged to squeeze in an hour wet flatting and compounding the boot lid this evening.

I think that its come out quite well. A little bit of polish and I think we will call that done.

Have a nice evening everyone
:thumbup

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I think flatting it back is making a worthwhile difference! Looks a lot better.

It's come a long way from the start of this thread, you must get some quiet satisfaction every time you see it!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020
I think flatting it back is making a worthwhile difference! Looks a lot better.

It's come a long way from the start of this thread, you must get some quiet satisfaction every time you see it!
I totally agree, it is certainly making a big difference to the look and 'feel' of the car.

To be honest, I often forget just how bad this car was when I first got my hands on it. I have to look back to the start of this thread to really see how far it has come. I usually shock myself, but I do feel quite proud now when I walk into the garage.

1001 - 1020 of 1053 Posts