MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long standing thread on the 75 and ZT owners club and I forgot to make a thread on here!
So here we are.
I bought a lovely 2.5 manual tourer and proceeded to remove all of it's sensible family car appeal.

heres the full thread for those wishing to view every step up until now, but heres the lowdown.

2002 2.5 V6 manual Tourer in JFM Royal Blue.
111'000 miles and I paid £1500 for it with a tank of fuel and 13 months MOT with no serious advisories.
Not too shabby for the condition it's in.

I've dubbed it "The Swagon"

So being 20 the first thing I did was whack an enormous eBay air filter on it and pressed every button.

Then:

I broke down. a lot.
In fact, I've had seven break downs so far
I made it a lot lower

Made the engine vibrate the entire cabin and sit an inch higher

Made the car a hell of a lot louder

7-Ok-4nKNG4
Then I spent the same amount I did on the car, I spent it on wheels.

Custom made for the car and retailing at £2650 before my cheeky "I know a guy" discount

I flared the arches at the back almost two inches
The fronts approximately an inch

And voila, click for full resolution, THIS is where we stand currently!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My hat is now off, I thought "What the f....." then "woah! Wtf!" lol.

Well done it looks kinda cool and suits the 'dub' scene.
The noise is definitely a little too much for me, what engine is in there?

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha thanks!
It's the 2.5 V6 180 engine, but with vis removed. Seems to really liven it up.

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,009 Posts
Those wheels are gorgeous! You have turned a boring old rover into something that turns heads, well done

Now try and make this one last longer than the 45 lol

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RIP gearbox, this is turning into a bit of a rover 45 again :lol:

time to replace the flywheel, clutch, clutch slave, gearbox and the CV joints (for the third time)

need to work out a way of raising the engine more, and getting the outer CV's at a better angle, probably going to use some camber to achieve this.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
RIP gearbox, this is turning into a bit of a rover 45 again :lol:

time to replace the flywheel, clutch, clutch slave, gearbox and the CV joints (for the third time)

need to work out a way of raising the engine more, and getting the outer CV's at a better angle, probably going to use some camber to achieve this.
Well what exactly did you expect??

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would have thought it irrelevant since I went through three before lowering the 45, and that the gearboxes probably don't share a single part...
:dunno:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Regarless of breaking gearboxes, it looks great!
Wonder if it would look as good on a mk2? The headlights really work here!

Well done for doing it different!

Would the 18" vortex wheels not have been enough bling then?

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Would have thought it irrelevant since I went through three before lowering the 45, and that the gearboxes probably don't share a single part...
:dunno:
Then in that case you need to learnt to drive properly. In all the years that I have driven and including all the old bangers that I had when that was all i could afford only one gearbox failure and that was on a work van and it was a newly fitted reconditioned box that was faulty.

Wrecking gear boxes is not clever it's plain stupidity and just shows you have access to more money than you have sense!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Best put it all back to standard then fathead, or you'll be getting it taken off you by plezier for being stupid.

I think it's clear the lad doesn't mind about the gearboxes or he wouldn't slam his cars. And he's trying to rectify it by raising the engine.
No need for personal attacks mate.
If he does have a lot of money then what does it matter what he chooses to spend it on.

·
Registered
rover_45
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't even abuse the gearbox and clutch and not once has anyone questioned my driving.
Oh well.
Better lower it some more to annoy plezier.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I admire the commitment, I can't even been bothered with the hassle of lowering my 25 below zr hight because of the speed bumps round my way. I've dropped a few civics for my mates and watching them tackle potholes and speed bumps is painful, I don't know how you've got the energy for it but it does look good.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I don't even abuse the gearbox and clutch and not once has anyone questioned my driving.
Oh well.
Better lower it some more to annoy plezier.
Yes please do then I can be sure you can never, ever, get up around this way. Am pretty sure you could not now due to the road conditions here, not without it being on a recovery truck that is, as you would get stuck on the lumps and bumps.

Last slammed one we saw around here was awaiting a recovery tuck. probably came out of town for a drive and well the roads took care of his stupidly lowered VW Golf. From the amount of oil he was contaminating the road way with thus endangering others safety and lives, they has ripped out the sump. I sincerely hope it cost them a new engine though I doubt they had the intelligence to work out the stupidity of it all.

Knowing how the local recovery firm works they were slapped with an immediate £100 + VAT winching fee as two wheels were not on the tarmac and that has to be paid up front before they do anything. Not having spoken to the local driver this fee has probably gone up in the last few years since we last spoke.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yes please do then I can be sure you can never, ever, get up around this way. Am pretty sure you could not now due to the road conditions here, not without it being on a recovery truck that is, as you would get stuck on the lumps and bumps.

Last slammed one we saw around here was awaiting a recovery tuck. probably came out of town for a drive and well the roads took care of his stupidly lowered VW Golf. From the amount of oil he was contaminating the road way with thus endangering others safety and lives, they has ripped out the sump. I sincerely hope it cost them a new engine though I doubt they had the intelligence to work out the stupidity of it all.

Knowing how the local recovery firm works they were slapped with an immediate £100 + VAT winching fee as two wheels were not on the tarmac and that has to be paid up front before they do anything. Not having spoken to the local driver this fee has probably gone up in the last few years since we last spoke.
Give it a rest man.

If he or anyone for that matter wants to lower their cars then it isn't really any business of yours.
They know the risks. Some don't and then they learn how to deal with it.

There a bigger things to worry about than someone lowering a car.
Get off your soapbox before you get another thing to talk about like try and sell me some spiel about our lord and saviour or maybe how we should all ride bikes and that we should all start growing our own veg so it takes large lorries off the road and in turn stopping tired lorry drivers crashing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts