MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZR 105 was at a local garage getting two new fron tyres fitted..Had sourced the tyres elsewhere, so just needed fitted,balanced etc...

So the car was up on the ramps to remove the wheels, and me and the guy were having a discussion about the zed...a wee look around etc, and spotted a cable which overlaps another cable in an untidy fashion on the passenger front side next to the brake disc..we thought this was a bit dodgy as both cables were crossing over each other..wasnt the best set-up and friction etc could occur.

The guy had a look to see where the cable went and he asked if my car had ABS..i said unfortunately no, i think the brakes are crap, but thats another story.

He showed me something which he said looked like an ABS sensor..???? (kinda teethed cog on the driveshaft)

I said the car definately didnt have ABS so he went and called an MGR dealer who told him it was a rough road sensor..

WHAT...?????

Is this correct...?
What is this exactly?

Why is it only on one side of the car..?

·
Registered
364 Posts
So what other sensors does it have and we dont know about *looks shady* *fidgets a bit*

no I refuse to believe my alter self, I am not a paranoid schitzo !!

·
Registered
rover_100
180 Posts
yeah I read somewhere all the Zed's have this sensor.
It's genuine , honest !
Can't remember WHY it's there, might be something to do with the ABS (so as not to upset it too much on a rough road)
I know your car hasn't got ABS but it probably make sense to fit this to all cars regardless.....
Dave over to you ?,........

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Soz - I 'missed' this one back in November!

The rough road sensor is connected tot he engine management system - it's all this OBDII stuff.

I will post up a technical explanation later.......

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not like you to miss a thread mate..or a chance to post..:D

Yeah, give us an idiots guide explanation..:doh:

Whats OBDII anyway ?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seeeee....

Look forward to hearing more..Here was me thinking for a couple of months that this guy hadnt really phoned a dealer to ask and that he was just making it up cause he was embarrassed when he said it was to do with the ABS and i told him the car didnt have ABS..(unfortunately) :doh:

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Rover Automated Viewing Environment - basically a workshop manual on CDROM

and no it's not available to everybody!

Here it is.....

Found it....

Rough Road Detection

MEMS 3 has a misfire detection facility which is part of the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) system. Misfire detection is disabled when the ECM senses that the vehicle is on a ’rough road’. The system software can detect variations in the signal output and disable misfire detection to prevent incorrect faults being
logged by the ECM.

The ’rough road’ signal is passed from the ABS ECU on a hardwired output to the ECM connector C0913 pin 78. The signal is in the form of a square wave digital pulsetrain of between 0 and 5 V at 8000 pulses per mile.

On vehicles without ABS, an ABS reluctor ring is fitted to the nearside front wheel and provides 48 pulses per rotation of the wheel to a variable reluctance sensor.
On vehicles with an EM-CVT gearbox, the output from the sensor is received by the GIU which passes a buffered version of the signal to the ECM pin 78.

On vehicles with a manual gearbox, the output from the sensor is passed directly to ECM connector C0913 pins 64 and 78.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Dave...i kinda guessed that it wasnt available to the public..seen another post where someone was wanting one..no difference to me really..

So when you posting up the english translation mate..;)

Naw, serioulsy, i can actually understand that..ist right up my street being an instrument technician and that...all this 0-5Volts and 4-20mA signals etc etc, pulses and all that stuff..so i guess that teethed cog i seen would have had 48 teeth on it possibly..a different tooth for each pulse...Seems quite a simple piece of kit..

Doesnt MG use this as a selling point..cant remember seeing anything in the spec guide or that mentioning it..sounds kinda good i would have thought..u know, in the features list..Rough Road Sensor included..!!!

Cheers for that Dave now i know...Thats my leaning point for today..:D

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come on though..in the ZR`s vital statistics they even put things like internal bonnet release and lockin fuel cap..

Oh geez,...want that car man..so putting in rough road sensor seems quite resonable i think..Makes u thing..something along the lines of..mm this car has some device which recognises ur on rough roads..(and in Britain,surely this is a good thing)..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts