MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 214 gearbox looks a bit tired (bearings inside are becoming a tad noisy but the gears are doing well).
I assume it's a R65.

I've got a very decent & fair offer from a 1997 216:

"Brand : ROVER
Type : SERIE 200 1.6I (216) 16V
Body : 5 Doors
Issue : 01-12-1997
Fuel : Petrol
Engine Type: 16K4FK89
Gearbox Type : 5C 35WUC - 5 Manual"

My 214 gearbox is given as a 5C 39W and my cabby a 14K4FJ52.
Could it be a straight swap? :unsure:
Thanks a lot. :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My 1994 214 gearbox looks a bit tired (bearings inside are becoming a tad noisy but the gears are doing well).
I assume it's a R65.

I've got a very decent & fair offer from a 1997 216:

"Brand : ROVER
Type : SERIE 200 1.6I (216) 16V
Body : 5 Doors
Issue : 01-12-1997
Fuel : Petrol
Engine Type: 16K4FK89
Gearbox Type : 5C 35WUC - 5 Manual"

My 214 gearbox is given as a 5C 39W and my cabby a 14K4FJ52.
Could it be a straight swap? :unsure:
Thanks a lot. :)
The only difference between the two boxes is the final drive ratio.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you buddie. :)
That's very helpful & good news: I can order it. :p

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get the replacement box ?
Yes I received it very quickly, with a new clutch and I'm now waiting for a new gearbox gasket I'd forgotten to order.
But there's no harm in that delay because my good mechanic being busy will only be able to take the cabby on Tuesday the 19th.
He'll just have to swap the speedo sensor, because I'm told that my mk2 has a mechanical one while the mk3 has an electronic one. Otherwise every bolt is 100% compliant.
And I've just received yesterday the same push button starter as the one that was fitted on the 75 coolant sensor to ease the start up on cold mornings. And the locking motor for the right door as well.
I'm in the starting-blocks! :p
I hope everything will be top notch for the great presentation on Sunday 24th, when she takes part in the 'vin nouveau' (new vintage) rallye organized by the AVAG, 'amicale des véhicules anciens de Gaillac' (Gaillac old timers club - Gaillac being a little town surrounded by nice tasty & smelly vineyards). To be part of the show & member of the club requires that your car needs to be 25 years old at least: my cabby has just reached that venerable age on the 23rd of August last! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be worth renewing the drive-shaft seals as well before fitting...
Well I'm sure you're right. Thank you very much. (y)
But my mechanic did only ask me to find out the crankshaft seal hence I've ordered a Payen NB829 which is the one he wants as indicated for a Rover 200 mk2 14K4F on the French site I've ordered it from.
Is it the same as the one you tell me? Have you a link to a picture? I'm deeply in the dark... :unsure:
I feel very uneasy you know with all those mechanical terms because it looks sometimes hard to translate mainly when you don't know exactly what's going on here even in French! :ROFLMAO:
That's why on those very technical matters I'm relying on him. That's his job: I'm long since out of my comfort zone here... My only job is to give him what he asks for and try to understand if I can. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has the new box been fitted?
Indeed. But the fitting wasn't a full swap in every details: because the arm hadn't enough room, an adjustment was done with a dedicated bracket. Why? I don't know.
Apart from that (and the speedo sensor swap), well fitted, well lubricated and with a new clutch the gear lever is now a very bliss to handle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts