MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Rover 220 Coupe, its not been on the road for ten years or so, and with a new battery fitted, do I need to change the oil, new oil filter, plugs, etc.
Not quite sure what is the best thing to do with one of these cars.
There is a little rust on the rear arches, it has wolfrace wheels and blacked out lights on the rear, which I now imagine is illegal ... ho hum. would it be not to difficult to change them back to original ones and where could I get some from.
If you could be of help with this that would be great.
Regards Jeff.

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
Thread moved to proper section.

If stood for 10 years, and you wnat the best for the car, you should change oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, and you should check how much petrol you have in the tank. New petrol should be filled in if you want to start the car without problems.

You should check brakes, discs and pads, handbrake.

Rear lights you could try to find at https://Rimmerbros.com/ or http://autotintdesign.com/ depends what you like.

You did not mention what engine your coupe have, so if it is turbo, you should check turbo as well.

Next you need to check state of coolant, state of pipes and pipes joints. You mentioned that you fitted new battery, so I will skip that.

Generally you need to check all moving parts. Personally, I would inspect suspension, struts, coils and dumpers. Also, what is the state of under side for rusting, do you have split boots on CV. Check all bulbs if working and lube runners for smooth windows operation.
Check the fuses and operation of electrics in the car.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Kind of similar with my 620Ti.

Much of what Roverlike says should be done.

Clearly check oil and coolant levels and top up if necessary before attempting to start engine.

Some fresh petrol in the tank, maybe an "octane booster" type additive as well, as any petrol at that age will be "well off".

Before spending anything out on it maybe take it to a known local mechanic who could MOT it (either on or off the book as it were), to see what needs fixing and if it's actually worth shelling out any money on it to just get road legal. Get them to check out the condition of the underside whilst in the air to see if rotten, or not.

If you decided to bring it back to life you'll almost certainly need new tyres as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts