MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an engine from a 2001 R25 that I have fitted to a kit car - trying to sort out the electrics. My auto electrician has located some wires that, according to the manual, are for the rough road sensor. My question is: do I actually have to have a rough road sensor connected for the ECU to work, or can I just tape up the ends of the wires and forget about them?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I would fit a sensor (normally an abs sensor will do the trick) as otherwise the engine management system will think there is a misfire and flash the MIL when going over loose/rough terrain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cjmillsnun said:
I would fit a sensor (normally an abs sensor will do the trick) as otherwise the engine management system will think there is a misfire and flash the MIL when going over loose/rough terrain.
Thanks for this. What is a MIL - something indicator light? If it is, then I can live with that as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual engine. I have a seven-style kit car and there is no ABS or anything fancy like that. I am pretty sure Caterhams with K series don't have ABS either :)

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Taping it up and leaving it could present problems - the ECU could well go into limp home/reduced power mode.

Fitting an ABS sensor is out of the question. I'd suck it and see.....see how ya go.

·
Registered
mg_zt
89 Posts
You do not need to fit this sensor take other kit cars or sport cars like the caterham k series it does NOT have this connected.
It is not safe to just connect and ABS sensor - on cars without ABS the MEMS3 units connected an ABS sensor from the rear left wheel I think even though no other wheels had ABS they used this to satisfy rough road... Although the car ECU is programmed to expect this configuration as the count per miles is about 800 or so I believe.
If the car came from a car with ABS originally then the feed came from the ABS module itself at front of car, not the ABS sensor which counts at around 3000 per mile. As such unless you match to the previous cars configuration it wont work anyway.
I have left this disconnected on my recent VVC 160 conversion - it didn't even exist on earlier mems1.9 or mems2J ECU configurations just for reference.
Have fun - any other MEMS3 wiring he may want to refer to my post here which may shed other light on some wiring... MGF 143 VVC -> 160 MEMS3 conversion

·
Registered
mg_zt
89 Posts
You do not need to fit this sensor take other kit cars or sport cars like the caterham k series it does NOT have this connected.
It is not safe to just connect and ABS sensor - on cars without ABS the MEMS3 units connected an ABS sensor from the rear left wheel I think even though no other wheels had ABS they used this to satisfy rough road... Although the car ECU is programmed to expect this configuration as the count per miles is about 800 or so I believe.
If the car came from a car with ABS originally then the feed came from the ABS module itself at front of car, not the ABS sensor which counts at around 3000 per mile. As such unless you match to the previous cars configuration it wont work anyway.
I have left this disconnected on my recent VVC 160 conversion - it didn't even exist on earlier mems1.9 or mems2J ECU configurations just for reference.
Have fun - any other MEMS3 wiring he may want to refer to my post here which may shed other light on some wiring... MGF 143 VVC -> 160 MEMS3 conversion
Sorry about this one - I didn't realise it was about 15 yrs old thread LMAO.... :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts