MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My Rover 25 was recently crash damaged. Having lost control on a roundabout, the car mounted the kerb and went on to demolish a 30mph road sign.

The resultant damage was the front passenger wing [road sign post], a bent Lower Control Arm and a slightly bent Tie Rod [kerb]. The basic structure of the car still looked straight so I decided to repair the obviously damaged parts.

I fitted a brand new Lower Arm and Tie Rod. I also replaced the hub with a 2nd hand part, just to be on the safe side though I suspect that the Hub was undamaged. The problem is that the 2 Tie Rod bolt holes refuse to line up with the 2 threaded holes in the Lower Arm. They're about an inch away from lining up correctly. Both Sub-frames appear straight, to the naked eye at least, with no obvious signs of damage.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Many Thanks in advance for your time.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Firstly, you need to be careful if you have had a prang - don’t repair it to a dangerous state. Get some alignment checks (4 wheel) done if it goes back together.

Saying that, when jacked up and the arb is relaxed, the holes don’t always fall into place. Is this the rod with a bush at either end you refer to? Play with the weight distribution and jacks to see if they can line up, put the weight of the car on them before fully tightening and then torque with the weight on them. Then check alignment carefully!

·
Registered
mg_zr
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly, you need to be careful if you have had a prang - don’t repair it to a dangerous state. Get some alignment checks (4 wheel) done if it goes back together.

Saying that, when jacked up and the arb is relaxed, the holes don’t always fall into place. Is this the rod with a bush at either end you refer to? Play with the weight distribution and jacks to see if they can line up, put the weight of the car on them before fully tightening and then torque with the weight on them. Then check alignment carefully!
Hello Gnu,

Thanks for your reply. The Tie Bar I refer to is the straight bar of approx 1" Diameter with a threaded end that is secured to the front cross-member via a single nut. The opposite, slightly flattened, end is secured to the lower arm with 2 bolts.

The car is on jack stands so I will play with weighting the lower arm up and see if that helps. :)

Best Regards,
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts