MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first post here, so I have a rover 25 2.0l diesel turbo 2002, I've noticed a strange engine whine which happens, in natural revving the engine and while driving, a week ago I noticed the oat ? Pink coolant was almost empty, I've filled that up hoping it might have been that but no luck, video link https://youtu.be/a_JFzVsKwZM

Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
rover_25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to clarify, about a year ago the engine fell out of its mountings due to a worn bolt, this was fixed and only cost £4 for the pair, the engine did however fall against engine bay, so i can't help wondering if this is the water pump on its last legs, as the pulley wheels did make contact, so it could have bent one of these ? and over time it has worn the bearings or seals ? sorry i'm not very technically minded when it comes to cars, just trying to give as much information as possible

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
First thing you need to do is to investigate the reason why you're losing coolant. It is vital to maintain coolant levels and I suspect that the fact your tank was empty may be the cause of the engine noise. Search for hot tub repairer's excellent How to to trace the coolant leak. Only then can you be able to identify the noise problem. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have to say that if you are unable to tackle this yourself you would be wise to contact one of the Mobile Mechanics attached to the site to carry out the work. They are experts and will not 'screw you over' and guarantee their work. Good luck

·
Registered
rover_25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try to have a little look today following the tubes the leave the tank, i couldn't see immediate signs of loss of coolant but the tank was slightly low, i feel like it could be a slow leak.. either way it's a starting point, yeah there's a garage down the end of my road but if i can go in a say it's this at fault, saves them time having to investigate ect

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Is the PAS fluid low? If so top it up and see if the noise stops?
If not then I'd be checking the aux belt tensioner and then the cam belt tensioner pronto.

·
Registered
rover_25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power steering is all fine and fluid is where it should be, only fluid that i noticed dropped was the ota ? pink coolant, i've since topped that up but had no temperature spike in the engine.

·
Registered
rover_25
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i've just spoken to the garage, funny enough the chap said power steering pump is on its way out, looked on rimmer bro's and from what i see £300 inc vat ..... ouch shall see what they can source second hand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts