MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per previous specs, 1.4 W reg yr 2000 3door.. since buying this car second hand from Yes Car Credit! (of all people you may ask) The car seems to have very limited power when accelerating and on the straight!
I took it to Rover who claimed the Cylinders were blocked with Carbon and needed to be decoaxed at £1000 cost!! Two other independant dealers performed a pressure test and said this was not the case, replaced ignition coils and spark plugs but performance has always been bad !

Cylinder issues seems to only happen in very old cars not newer ones, would this really be the cause and why would two tests over shadow rovers tests?

What else can cause performance degredation?

Car was bought with only 19000 on the clock, it now has 65000 so its not been over used in last 3 years!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
The carbon build up line from Rover sounds a bit fishy to me. Never heard that before.
Is it the 84 PS or 103 PS type?
If it's the 84 PS then all you need to do is change the throttle body and cable and unleash another 20 BHP.

Car was bought with only 19000 on the clock, it now has 65000 so its not been over used in last 3 years!
I don't understand? You've had the car for 3 years and 46,000 miles and only now your asking about the power?:bigeyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm got me there, car knowledge = 0 i would hesitate a guess at 84PS
only details i have or know is 1.4 iE 16v 3dr ??

The problem was not there at the beginning of my purchase but seemed to appear around 50 miles after purchase, but thinking that there was some 'hidden' problems before purchase....

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
so after 45,950 you think there might be a problem? wow.

do you have it serviced?

have a search for throttle body and you can identify the type you have. is there any reason why its taken you so long to suspect?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, i knew the problem after 3 months of purchase but I've had dozens of problems since, i reported it but was not prepared to pay about £1000 not knowing that this would 100% fix it.... I've spent at least £2500 with un warrantable problems (thanks to dealership warranty company). Problem definately was there after 19500 miles, car has been services twice since then, but service doesn't really include problems like this... usual parts were replaced however it seems there lies a more expensive problem.

When a car accelerates to 60mph over a period of one mile feeling you have a parachute attached to the back, its not a service fixable problem... I guess im identified as a car knowledgeless person when the three garages say they cannot identify the cause?? Im sure they know but are testing how much im willing to spend.... Can it really be something very simple? Airflow, engine dirt perhaps? Maybe I have a Rat stuck somewhere under the bonnet???

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It could be a number of things. Does the car hesitate or miss fire? If so, I'd check the electrics (leads, plugs etc).

If not, I'd replace the air and fuel filter. They are both pretty cheap and may well fix the problem.

Another possibility is a mis-timed cambelt. This is unlikely as it would have occured after work to the head, cam-belt replacement or replacement of the cam shaft oil seals etc.

What work have you had done to the car? Are there any other symptoms (e.g. poor fuel consuption, mis-firing)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the car does hesitate most times, i've driven brand new cars frequently for work and its like switching on a light however, my car can take at most 5-7 seconds to start while ignition is switched on, not very smooth at all...

I had the head gasket replaced as that blew due to an air pocket, the spark plugs have been replaced with the high spec ones, both ignition coils have been replaced. Thats about it on the engine front, apart from the servicing of new oil, etc. The exhaust had a crack in the middle box section which was replaced and within the last day another crack has appeared in the exhaust making the car sound like a bus, but i know thats a separate issue....

So from your experience whats the first things to check/replace, and if they dont fix it whats your next advise?

If it helps, while accelerating the car engine sounds like its having a very rough time, almost deafning at times and you can really feel the struggle.?

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Won't be any use really unless the MIL lamp is on.

Sounds like you have an 83PS model

Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah a while ago, but they claimed Rover had not released the latest codes so it would have to go to them... im sure now however it should be possible. But way back then when i took it to rover i explained explicitly what the problem was an they ran a full diagnostic and came up with the initial solution... Cylinders blocked with carbon!! I dont believe this as thats a money maker deal for them and not a solution for me....... Remember the problem is 2 years old, there software is not! I dont want to surcumb to techi jargon, i work in IT I know how that works!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Major, was that the right thread for your post? Anyhow, im based near bracknell, berkshire...... and im 99.9% no lights on, no open doors and i do not have interior sensors on this model (I.E no alarm sensors visible at all)

·
Registered
51 Posts
the letter A on the end signifies your car is 84ps, if it had a letter B you would have a 103ps car. you need to change your throttle body, makes a world of differance to performance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like a plan!! Firstly can you explain what a throttle body is, why i should change it, why its a problem in the first place and how much this sort of thing would cost? Muchly appreciated for this input.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
if you have a search of the forum you will see its a very common conversion for an 84ps k series, throttle body and cable need changing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P.S - Im asking this because i had a hire car last year cuz of a smash up (it was there fault) and got myself a brand new 1.1 car which was a much better performing car... why would my little 1.4 perform so badly and why is a throttle body engine part not advertised as a problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
geeza, this is my first day, and trust me a google search on a rover 25 brings up many a strange web sites!!! Let me get my grip on this forum then the questions will flow......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts