MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know if the landrover freelander oil filter is the same size as the rover 75 2.5 v6? i have been told that they are the same, but i have all so read the the freelander oil filter is a lot shorter than the rover?
there does not seem to be an aftermarket oil filter here in australia? so apart from original mg rover filters what can be used?

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
The Freelander oil filters I think will fit as it uses the same thread size BUT like the Kia Karnival filter,they are physically about half the size.
The thread size is the main issue.
I did have a look around once and found that Ryco had somthing similar that fitted from memory,an aluminium block Chevy V8.
Not sure about the quality though as I know the MG ones have specific blow back valves,better filtering elements etc.
From what I gather, I think Coopers filters were the OEM manufacturers for the MGR ones,so find a Coopers filter dealer and I think they would be pretty much the same.
In the end it was just as cheap for me to get the MG ones from our ex dealer anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks genpk, i rang around today and the advice i was given was to stick with the original mg rover filter as land rover dealer told me that the smaller freelander filter may cause problems and it would not be worth the risk of any posible damage to the engine just for the sake of a $20 part. so a quick trip up to Melbourne today to get the new filter from zagames,

·
Registered
rover_75
2,962 Posts
A bit of interesting info re oil filters,I believe Ryco has just brought out an oil filter Z689 to fit a Holden Colorado 3.6L motor which Coopers Rover 75 filter (WCO18) have also listed to fit the Holden Colorardo 3.6L.
One would think it should be the same fit for the Rover 75.
Its about half the price of the Coopers one and being as they all seem to be made in China these days probably not much difference.The only word of caution is Id check the Ryco one does have a blow back valve like the Coopers ones .

Additional info, just bought some Cooper filters (air and oil) for the 75 and got them for about half the price of the local ex MGR dealer. I found out Auto 1 stores are Coopers stockists and they were even cheaper than the Ryco filters- and made in Japan !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts