MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas

I just bought a nice black 827 Sterling fastback, and everything works as it should in terms of the toys & gadgets, except the CD changer which i will have a poke around over Xmas, but the main thing I wanted to ask about was the Autobox S4.

First of all, the S4 light comes on and goes of when the ignation is started, but pressing the S4 button does nothing.

Does not having the S4 function have any implications beyond simply not having the sportier driving style?

Does S4 work in D or is it only in S? It's not practical to try it out now, but the manual doesn't quite state it clearly to my mind as I read it at this specific point in time.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
S4 only works in S mode, it wont work in D.

It could be a dodgy switch in the gear lever, or dodgy connection somewhere. Time to get the multi meter out and do some poking.

If you havent got a copy of the workshop manual then check out a couple of the other threads on here recently, Ive listed the location in some of them. Download that then have a good read and start poking about for loose connections.

As for the CD changer, could be a number of things. First 2 things to check are the lead to the changer, as they often get damp/water in the connector. And secondly check the loading cartridge is there and works. Again, have a read in the manual for the electrical diagrams and verify that the unit is getting power to it through the lead.

Come back and let us know what happens.

Nick
:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick, the S4 light does come on when is S mode, so that was me being a spacker.

I'm going to have a fiddle with the CD changer this weekend. It ispowered, as I can eject the CD cartridge, but I'll be sure to ask for more help if I can find anything obvious.

Cheers!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem.

So what exactly isnt working on the player??

Nick
:cool:
Well, the tuner works ok, and I loaded 3 discs in to the cartridge, and re-inserted in to the changer unit. When I pressed mode to switch from tuner to CD Changer, it started what I assume was a scan to see which changer slots had discs in, but after going from 1 - 6, it just read CD Error on the display. The discs don't play. The sliding cover area does look a tad grimey, so I think a good clean up of the changer and all it's plugs etc... will be my first task. So far it seems to be the only 'toy' not working.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the tuner works ok, and I loaded 3 discs in to the cartridge, and re-inserted in to the changer unit. When I pressed mode to switch from tuner to CD Changer, it started what I assume was a scan to see which changer slots had discs in, but after going from 1 - 6, it just read CD Error on the display. The discs don't play. The sliding cover area does look a tad grimey, so I think a good clean up of the changer and all it's plugs etc... will be my first task. So far it seems to be the only 'toy' not working.

Cheers!
I know this is a reply to a really old post but it may help someone who is just now trawling and trying to get to grips with the CD player. Mine did the same. Having stripped the player down I found that the laser transport/motor was stuck. Therefore, the player would load each disc in turn but, because the laser transport wasn't moving, it would not be able to scan any of the discs so 'CD Error' was flagged up. Freed it off and greased it. Started working immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts