MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was just wondering if Brooklands green is available as an aerosol? Iv had a look on the site but its not listed, but maybe it hasnt been updated?

Its for a Rover 100, paint code HYF

·
Registered
15 Posts
Halfrauds can still mix it up, i've had a couple of cans for my BRM's. Same paint code.
halfrauds is right i had a small rust patch on my door piller went to halfords looked in there books to find what paint to use for my 200vi it wasnt there so there are sgins telling me to ask there trained helpful staff (like f*^&%).
told him my paint code HYF age and car type put this in to his computer , computer says no..

i got home 5 mins on the internet http://www.mgfcar.de/vin/mgfcolours.htm
found out its brooklands green when back to halfords as they do brooklands green in there own spray range I now have a what must be discribed as pea green patch on my otherwise tidy car .
I shall be returning to halfords to insert the can into the appropriate orifice.

any one else used there brooklands green sucsefuly is my car the wrong color? mine looks like a dark racing green

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The 'off the shelf' Brooklands Green from Halfrauds is completely the wrong shade (I found this out from bad experience too), you have to get it mixed. IIRC on their computers it comes under BLMC (British Leyland).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try yellow pages for local motor factors who mix paint. We have a company in Perth (presumably a national company) called Gil's Motor Factors. They match it exactly to your car and it's still way cheaper than off the shelf stuff from Halfrauds.
I used to own a 20 year old Polo coupe S in metallic green and needed to spray a new fuel flap. I just left the old one there and went back the next day for the matched paint. They gave me 2 big aerosols and laquer and the colour match was perfect.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,064 Posts
The 'off the shelf' Brooklands Green from Halfrauds is completely the wrong shade (I found this out from bad experience too), you have to get it mixed. IIRC on their computers it comes under BLMC (British Leyland).
BL had a Brooklands Green in the late 70's. The 90's Rover Brooklands Green is a darker shade altogether. I suspect that the Halfords computer lists the earlier colour.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Id forgot i posted on here.

I eventually got some Rover paint off an ebay shop that sells MG Rover parts/services.

I have had the Helfrauds stuff before, both off the shelf and mixed, and i have to agree, it is a rubbish match. Off the shelf it totally the wrong colour and mixed is far too light to blend in. See pic (rear arch). It was only visible in direct sunlight though

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Not being critical or nowt,but wot colour primer did you use? I'm only saying because I think thats whats showing through in sun! It's possibly lack of coverage as its quite a transparent colour?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Try matching up, Rover's 'OCEAN BLUE'!

I had a Rover 400 in Ocean blue, that i once made the mistake of taking to 'chips away' they turned the door more green than blue! & took it for a 10mile spin (to dry the paint???).

Anyway decided I could do a better job of it, so I tried a few of those we'll match any colour paint people, and all were noticeable out. Went to Halfrauds, who said its not a stock colour but that they could match it, as its in their charts and they would use the correct mix rather than trying to make a match!

Anyway delighted I went home, but when i opened the paint tin, theirs was almost turquiose and definately not ocean blue. So i took it back to get the normal 'we don't give refunds on paints we make up' speil, but by bypassing the drones on the till, the manager eventually agreed that even though i had ordered a colour and they had made it up from the code, it was no where near any actual colour, so he suggested HMG and Autopaints (but I had told him I had been there, done that). He said 'what will you do?' I said I had no choice but to send all parts to Rover to be painted as they were the only ones able to match it.

Anyway Rover colour matched all the parts perfectly (as they had done with parts in the past). (they wouldn't supply the pain though, so i always gave them the parts!). The cost was only a little more than obtaining the paints myself and me getting the work done elsewhere, so it worked out well worth it.

Just glad I don't have the 'ocean blue' car today, as all the local Rover dealers gone now. At least I can get 'zircon silver (MUM)' in a spray for my 800!

Best of luck to anyone searching for the correct match!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I found it almost impossible to find anywhere that could mix my colour to a good match (steel blue JBR) Halfords made me 3 tins and one was perfect but the rest were almost green!

In the end i was pointed in the direction of www.paints4u.com who for the same price as halfords plus postage, mixed me up a larger aerosol than the halfords ones and its been a perfect match! I've had a couple of aerosols from them now and will more than likely use them again.

I think they can also match the paint if you send them a part of your car for them to match to or something?!

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts