MG-Rover.org Forums banner

rovermems.com Diagnostics Review

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris T 
#1 ·
This a quick review for the rovermems.com diagnostics hardware and software as an alternative to the PSCAN system.

For me, the main benefits over the PSCAN system are that at £40 delivered in the UK it is significantly less expensive and the attendant software is open source and available to view on GitHub. The software will either run in a Web browser on Windows 10 or via an App on Android.

The disadvantage is that at the moment at least when connected to MEMS3 there is just a few standard sensor readings so no extra’s such as what the engine fan is doing, engine bay temperature etc. I do have some un-specified fault messages that I need to email the author of the software about.

They have also decided not include the ability to program fobs for security reasons, however airbag warning lights can be switched off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, this new tool looks very interesting. I have downloaded the software to my laptop and mobile but I am now awaiting for the cables to arrive (OBD - micro-usb for my phone and OBD - usb for my laptop).

As I have a Mems 2J car, I am curious to find out which data it reads and how it compares to PSCAN.

#3 ·
Very, very interesting.

My F is mems1.9 (1995 model) and I have all Apple devices (IOS) - can I still use this Chris?

#6 ·
Blast, oh well - might try to get a suitable Android device then.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

#8 ·
Thinking about it, I have a Huawei tablet in a draw somewhere. That’s running Android, so that might work out.

#10 · (Edited)
ps It's worth noting that, according to the RoverMEMS w/site claims (below), there's no MEMS3 -> Android link as yet with the RoverMEMS app.

I'm a novice 'player' with both atm and imo neither seems to be an 'either/or' but one finds more data and, synch ecu -> scu and provide an easily do-able route to diy prof remap which is coded only to a single proffered ecu and the other might offer a self-remap option (perhaps) on a variety of ecus - though as a complete newbie with both I've yet to find 'stock' maps, tweak my own or an ability to synch a different ecu (perhaps not needed?)

I have sync'd different ecus, remapped and cancelled fault codes and pesky SAIC oil service reminder with Pscan...

Imo they could be seen to complement each other, so there might be no need for direct comparison. I'm particularly heartened that RoverMEMS so willingly 'shares' so freely among enthusiasts :)

Hope this helps; happy to share experiences...

Applications
PC/Laptop/Apple Mac:
The applications work with Rover MEMS 1.3/1.6/1.9/2J/3 ECUs and RC5 Airbag/SRS module, with live data, data logging, and fault code clearing.
PC Applications

Android Phone/Tablet:
The Android app works with MEMS version 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 1.9, 2J ECUs and RC5 Airbag/SRS module.
It is completely free and always will be

#11 ·
Imo they could be seen to complement each other, so there might be no need for direct comparison.
I would agree - comparisons on price in particular are irrelevant as pscan covers so much more than this set-up does (or is likely to).

Bit of an odd website too - no mention of who/what company is behind it, unlike pscan, and no easily accessible advice/support forum mentioned. just the secretive 'email me' link. I wouldn't go as far as to describe it as dodgy, but at that price level for what it appears to offer, I would want to know whether the software is performing some other 'operation' in the background.

#12 ·
Speaking from experience I've come to the conclusion that RoverMEMS is not a commercial for-profit based w/site, but one run by James, an MG enthusiast, who seeks to illuminate and share his 'take' on the secretive/dark arts/exclusive side of ecu understanding that all-too-often necessitates a very costly premium. I have had a particular experience of this, too, but now isn't the time to point fingers - merely be grateful for the prospect of an alternative.

Yes, you have to fend for yourself because you're not paying for a 'service'. And yes I've pressed the 'email me' link to receive a prompt selection of knowledgeable freely-given advice...

Yes, there's no support forum but there is copious 'background info' in the similarly-offered Andrew Revill site (he's also non-commercial and willing to share his vast experiences) which seems to work as a complement to RoverMEMS. You have to roll up your sleeves and do your own research, which makes it all the more of a personal success when you achieve results :)

Yes, I'm suspicious by nature and I respect your 'operation-in-the-background' comment but I'm happy to continue to trust this application in an attempt to reach the parts that others won't reach :)

Again, happy to share...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.