MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully manged to update a GS satnav? I’ve downloaded the programme required to do the update but it then suggests I either connect the satnav to the PC or plug in a memory card. I can’t do the first option and the second doesn’t recognise any memory card I plug into the PC.

What am I doing wrong?

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried everything to update the sat nav in my ZS. Followed all the instructions to the letter - nothing. Contacted the "help" team, followed their instructions - nothing. I gave up as it was driving me crazy. When it goes in for service I will get the dealer to try to make sure the maps are up to date as it seems unlikely I will be able to do it.
Bob

·
Registered
mg_tf
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you use new card and first plug it in satnav and if it is recognised or formatted by satnav, then plug it in PC and copy data to it.

There in lays the problem, I believe the data files are stored on an internal hard disk, there isn’t any mention of a memory card in the handbook and I can’t find one. I can’t connect it to my pc or laptop because the USB port in the car is the wrong gender. I have to go to the local MG dealer on Friday, I’ll ask them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
First put a formatted USB stick into the USB slot inside the car arm rest. Then on the car touch screen select ‘settings’ (cog wheel symbol) then on the top tab select ‘system’ then select ‘update navigation’. This will copy image files of your satnav onto the USB stick. Once done you can remove your USB stick and take it to a PC.

On the PC go to www.naviextras.com and download and install their toolbox software. You will need to register yourself with a username. Start the naviextras toolbox programme, plug in your USB stick into PC and log-in. The toolbox will recognise your USB stick as your satnav and will offer you any updates. Download the updates onto the USB stick then take it back out to the car. Plug the USB stick into the USB slot in the car as before and install the updates by going through to ‘settings’, again as before then ‘system’ and ‘update navigation’.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been there, done that, didn't work. My pc would not recognise the usb stick. Perhaps the Naviextras has been updated. I will give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
mg_tf
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I followed the instructions, formatted the memory stick (NTFS on a 32Gb and a 16Gb stick), Inserted into the car USB port and followed the instructions. First time I got a message saying “detecting USB stick” the after about 2 minutes got a message “Active your system first” (that’s not a typo). This message cleared after about 5 seconds and it just sat there “detecting USB stick”.

I assumed the “Active your system first” message was asking me to start the Sat Nav first, so I turned the ignition off and started again but this time I started the Sat Nav first.

This time it just sat on the “detecting USB stick” I left it for at least 5 minutes, but it wouldn’t go beyond this.

R8NMG, what size memory stick did you use and what file system? I tried both a quick format and a standard format with the same results. Or am I being impatient and should have waited longer?

·
Registered
294 Posts
R8NMG, what size memory stick did you use and what file system? I tried both a quick format and a standard format with the same results. Or am I being impatient and should have waited longer?
I just happened to use a 8Gb USB stick. Nothing fancy I just did a quick format. I don’t need to turn the satnav on. I just plug USB into car and go to settings. I go to update navigation then a message asking me to copy the files over to usb stick then away it goes.

·
Registered
mg_tf
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue was that the memory stick needs to be formatted as FAT32 I was using NTFS. It says that it's updated but it's not obvious what's changed, the download to the memory stick took a couple of minutes, the in car update only took about 10 -15 seconds (a guess not timed).

Still no speed cameras:frown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried everything to update the sat nav in my ZS. Followed all the instructions to the letter - nothing. Contacted the "help" team, followed their instructions - nothing. I gave up as it was driving me crazy. When it goes in for service I will get the dealer to try to make sure the maps are up to date as it seems unlikely I will be able to do it.
Bob
tried that they told me customer as to do it themshelves

1 - 12 of 12 Posts