MG-Rover.org Forums banner

301 - 320 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
What did they fail on? Pattern? Leaking? Blocked? Break pressures?

Old injectors generally (so long as they aren't blocked) flow more fuel (marginally) than new ones, but with more smoke / less efficiency.

Does this bring back memories?

Picked up the report today and got them back. I don't understand technical injector lingo so I'll leave it to you lot:
(sorry about the size mods)

So on the basis you're saying I'll be set to loose "some" bottom end torque?

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Sorry I can't remember seeing that before, but then I'm getting old and sleep deprived!

The break pressures on those injectors were 190-198 Bar. Those look like reasonable figures for Di's (but low for 25 injectors) I suspect they have tested them to the 25 spec and so failed them. If they'd applied the 200 spec then they'd probably have passed all but the 190 bar one on the first pressure test.

Were they tested for leakage? As they appear to have failed but then that is usually very obvious and it'd run very poorly. I'll assume they weren't tested for now.

If that is the case then In short, aside from the one that is slightly low on break pressure, you'll likely notice no difference at all. There are no flow rates shown (there aren't usually to be honest), so you can't really see any impact on flow.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I was expecting a flow test yes, but as for leakage they mentioned all failed on the phone.

If no difference then I've wasted £200? Maybe some SDi's for grabs on here soon; mind you I have 3 sets in the shed already!

Bottom line is if it gives me more fuel return it's been worthwhile, I'm all over Britain with work & play.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I was expecting a flow test yes, but as for leakage they mentioned all failed on the phone.

If no difference then I've wasted £200? Maybe some SDi's for grabs on here soon; mind you I have 3 sets in the shed already!

Bottom line is if it gives me more fuel return it's been worthwhile, I'm all over Britain with work & play.
If you can I'd suggest getting them built to the 210 bar opening specification (if you aren't running a bespoke remap).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can anyone shed some light why I have leaks please? 3&4 is leaking quite badly from what looks like the base of injector.

I have removed them, cleaned bore and step again, used new washers and greased both sides.

Done four but this one seems to be a real pain. Thanks

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
A thin smear of hylomar on the threads of the cap can help if the leak is coming from here. I thin I had to do that on the injectors I fitted to someones car on here.

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
Hot News

Hello everyone. Now I'm back with some news, after 4 months of SDi injectors on my 45.

Increased power. (positive)

Problems after using:

Smooke.
Bad turning on engine on winter.
EGR not working! Need to cancel it.

Today I've replaces back my original injectors and results:

Lower power, but: EGR again working (voila!). Smooke just dissapeared!

So, as a conclusion, if you want SDi injectors to increase power, do it, but be carrefully. And say good bye to EGR and welcome to new increased forces in the engine. (increased forces and tensions => increased usage of the piston and the rod, and of course, on the crankshaft).

Waiting for your reply!

And of course, who want a completly set of 4 SDi injctors?

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
From my car. Real information. Everything did with my hands. And minesarover, I am an automotive engineer. When I speak about the tensions inside an engine, I'm not speaking from the walls. The increased quantity of fuel inside the combustion chamber is developing an increased flame front, a peak pressure upper that normal. This pressure is causing a force normal to the surface of the piston bigger. This is the source of higher tension for the rod and crankshaft.

An engine need to be like the way it is out of the factory. No modify.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
I like the force of an engine, but I am a fan of factory settings. :D
Then why fit SDI injectors then?

Getting more power from an engine always places it under more stress.

Is that stress enough to break things. Well just fitting SDI injectors is usually regarded as safe as few (if any) direct failures have been observed. (It has pushed a few worn clutches over the edge though!).

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
Oh yes E_T_V, thanks for reminding me. Another negative conclusion after SDi injector. My Clutch, sometimes, was skating (I don't know the right word "skating").

I've fitted SDi injectors on my engine just because the engine came with these injectors fitted already. You know already, I've changed my engine, but I've kept my pump, because is a Rover 45. By the way, the result of all that combination (Rover 45 Pump, Rover 400 Turbo, ROVER 620 SDi Engine and Injectors) was exactly the same as fitting SDi injectors on a Rover 45 iDT.

Now, with original 45 injectors, EGR is working again, the clutch is not skating any more (because the power is lower and is not forcing it), the smoke is gone and the consumption is lower ! (4,8 l / 100 km, tested with a full to full tank test).

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
Very bad turning on process. I have to try 3 times - each try 10 seconds. The glowplugs are new. I don't know what to do. Bored of trying to solve it. Compression is perfect. I think is just about injection. Maybe the pump is not creating such a modest pressure for turning on the engine? Thank you:crying:

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Open a new post in the diesel section.This section is for.

"SDi Injectors- Information for prospective purchasers"

and not general queries.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
sounds like the injectors you've been using, are just very worn and old (which is why you're getting LOTS of smoke)

If you don't like anything that's not standard - why did you swap the engine, only to fit the SDi injectors again?

Your clutch is worn - if you don't want it to "slip" just replace it. Reducing the power of the engine is a weird way around a worn clutch...

Your EGR is controlled by the MAF sensor - the injectors have nothing to do with how it operates (apart from the wire coming from injector 1)

And as above, anything not directly relating to fitting/buying/selling SDi injectors, needs a new post

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
I've changed the engine because the original engine has "died" (because of the turbo). And I've kept the injectors from that new engine, which was SDi. Egr stopped working till now, when I've replaced the SDi injectors with the original Rover 45 2.0 iDT Injectors. Now EGR is working, the consumption is again 4,8 l/100 km. But the engine is starting hard at cold. Very hard/ And the Glowplugs are ok. Sorry if I'm out of toppic. Sorry for that. But please understand me. Everything it's about changing 4 injectors, from classic to SDi and from those SDi to classic ones. verybody must know these symptoms.

·
Registered
rover_45
113 Posts
This is very strange but I have no reason to lie. I am a Rover 45 owner like lot of us and I try to solve some problems with my car. Now my only problem is difficult starting at cold. So, please, instead of drawing attention to me, can you please help me? I am very grateful to you.

301 - 320 of 347 Posts