MG-Rover.org Forums banner

341 - 347 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
301 Posts
It would but it would be very smoky due to over fuelling but as you said above the boost would increase slightly anyway so you would see a noticeable change.
Yes but i´m talking if i reduce the boost after fitting the SDi´s to the standard boost.

I´m questioning this because i want both the engine and the turbo as healthy as possible.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yes but i´m talking if i reduce the boost after fitting the SDi´s to the standard boost.

I´m questioning this because i want both the engine and the turbo as healthy as possible.
I found a lot more smoke with lower boost. Which is why I increased the boost to about 19 psi, it reduced the smoke a lot then.

I believe if you have lower boost and more fuel from the sdis you'll get more smoke because the car will be running richer and have unburned fuel. Increasing the boost will put more air in with the mix and burn more efficiently leaving less unburned fuel. I could be wrong on that bit of science but that was my thinking when I put the sdis in and it seemed to work. The more boost I gave it the less smoke and a lot more go too. Lol

·
Registered
rover_25
301 Posts
Yes, i think that would work like you said..

The main question is, more boost = more stress to the turbo (and engine?).

On other side, i don´t know if the overfuel isn´t bad to the engine too. Maybe i´ll start to try something in the middle, like 18psi. Currently i have adjusted it to 16.5/17psi. It was making about 15Psi, barely 16.

·
Registered
349 Posts
People have been running 19PSi for years, it's considered the "safe" value for the turbo.

Most you'll get out of it is 22~23 PSI so it's not working flat out at 19.

·
Registered
rover_25
301 Posts
I´ve read that SDi´s can cause some hesitation when driving at low rpm, thats correct?

If it´s the same issue with the Clip Mode is really annoying, the car (specially when cold) really hesitates and starts to "kangaroo".

I´m not planning to blank the EGR for now. I suspect it can increase fuel consumption and combustion temperature, no?

Whats your experience? SDi´s can cause a bad driving experience at low rpm? I drive a lot at low rpm, (1500/2000 RPM).

·
Registered
rover_25
301 Posts
Did you notice any change in engine sound with the SDI fitted?

Yesterday i fitted them and i really didn´t notice nothing special but when i was picking up a friend, she was waiting me on the street and asking what i did to the car because it was "louder" and have "strong" noise.

About results, the car feels a lot more powerfull, specially in low revs. I didn´t change the turbo boost but the injectors for themself did. It was making about low 17´s and now low 18´s.

I dont see any special smoke, only a bit, but nothing like a train. I´ve cleaned the EGR, maybe that did help.

It does some "hesitation" sometimes when slowing down, but nothing special. With the clip mode it did a lot more!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been running SDI injectors for a couple of weeks now and found that the car runs more smoothly at low rpm and also is better at junctions because of the extra fueling. Certainly wouldn't want to go back to 99bhp, as drove a standard car the other day and there just wasn't the same smooth journey. Will report back on mpg differences but I'm still experimenting with the boost.

Mpg is not brilliant 35-40, although just got 50 by keeping an eye on the speedometer rather than the scangauge. Think I'll go down the remap route!

341 - 347 of 347 Posts