MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wanted to do this right so instead of bits of wire I purchased a reset tool off ebay and followed the instructions several times and it does nothing, any suggestions?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I assume you tried it with the bits of wire too? to check ?

Am I right in thinking this has to be reset within a short mileage time after it appears?

Not sure how you turn it off if you miss the time period?

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can reset it at any time, so that's not the problem.

Which tool did you buy? The one I got came with VERY detailed instructions...

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are trying to do just an oil reset then IIRC I think you may have to do a FULL reset first then it allows you to do the oil reset at any time.

I'm sure it states in the instructions on the one I bought worth having a go before emailing the seller?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you are trying to do just an oil reset then IIRC I think you may have to do a FULL reset first then it allows you to do the oil reset at any time.

I'm sure it states in the instructions on the one I bought worth having a go before emailing the seller?
I agree! Had my car serviced earlier in the week. An hour ago I went to re-set the service indicator.........I pressed the "oil service" re-set,nothing happened! I did it a few times still no joy! I read the instructions again, it said sometimes the "inspection" button needs to be pushed in........I did this.and next service is showing at 15,000 miles!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Would be interested to know which reset tool you bought. I bought one off Ebay a few months ago. Read the instructions, and it worked first time.

Nigel

·
Registered
255 Posts
I bought the E-Zee tool. It took a few attempts but the 15000 Oil Service indicator came up eventually. I'm crap at reading instructions, but they were very comprehensive and the guy included a 'how to' on the plenum drain mod and a copy of an actual Rover service sheet showing the variables. Good work!

It says in the instructions that it's sometimes difficult to estimate the number of seconds to keep the button pressed, but by trial and error it worked for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and thanks for the replies, the reset tool is black with a red button and was 12.75+ p&p. I had the MOT done last week and had the oil and filter changed at the same time so thought I would reset the indicator which is showing 3600 miles to go to the next service so oil change wasnt due on mileage but was overdue on time. I thought it would reset at any time though?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have contacted the supplier zenaxis (ebay name) who have agreed to a return and will check it out. I have had a BMW one in the past and that worked fine. I have tried about ten times but it just goes to the normal display after 4 secs as normal.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thought about buying one of the tools but got curious about the paperclip method and it worked fine so didnt bother buying a tool....

give the wire method a go and if it works get a refund on the reset tool!

Martin

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
the reset tool is black with a red button and was 12.75+ p&p.- - - - - I thought it would reset at any time though?
One of these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Service-Light-Reset-Tool-MG-ZT-ZTT-Rover-75-Tourer_W0QQitemZ370342397106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item563a2084b2

I've heard poor opinions of that seller. Send it back and request a refund.
There are just too many scammers getting away with it on eBay and PayPal just let them. I've also been scammed recently and PayPal placed every obstacle possible in my way to getting my money back. I failed.

A proper resetter tool should reset your service reminder whatever the mileage says and whatever the time overdue. Get your money back and buy a better one.

TC

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Thought about buying one of the tools but got curious about the paperclip method and it worked fine so didnt bother buying a tool....
It's OK until the day you accidentally short the wrong pins, then all hell will be let loose. One of them is also permanent 12v live. I hope you know which one!

Best advice is get a proper resetter. Why risk your system for the sake of a tenner?

TC

·
Registered
316 Posts
Checked my rest tool today, it is the E-zee reset tool. Cost about £13.00 on Ebay. Maybe I was just lucky, but it did work first time.

Nige.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's OK until the day you accidentally short the wrong pins, then all hell will be let loose. One of them is also permanent 12v live. I hope you know which one!

Best advice is get a proper resetter. Why risk your system for the sake of a tenner?

TC
yes i know about the permament live pin...

Just got curious luckily my job allows me the knowledge of electrics but your right i really should just splash out the tenner.....but im scottish though!! lol

Martin

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Service-Light-Reset-Tool-MG-ZT-ZTT-Rover-75-Tourer_W0QQitemZ370342397106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item563a2084b2

There are just too many scammers getting away with it on eBay and PayPal just let them. I've also been scammed recently and PayPal placed every obstacle possible in my way to getting my money back. I failed.

A proper resetter tool should reset your service reminder whatever the mileage says and whatever the time overdue. Get your money back and buy a better one.

TC
Yes TCut thats the one! I will have a look for the Eeze one.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

TC
Mine is different to that one. Mine has 2 buttons and had l.e.d lights which flash and then go steady to whichever (inspection or oil) re-set you push.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can relate to that brother!!!Scottish!!! I used a 2 foot piece of telephone cable(very stiff) and earthed it onto the door stay! Tried to do it on the block but too cramped and easier to fix into pin 8 then short to chassis. I agree about the 12v pin but if unsure at all just DON'T. Saved me £15 quid, steengie!!!LOL

·
Registered
437 Posts
yes i know about the permament live pin...

Just got curious luckily my job allows me the knowledge of electrics but your right i really should just splash out the tenner.....but im scottish though!! lol

Martin
Ha thats just us V6 owners we gotta be stingey to pay for the fuel, hell I even nicked the paperclip from work. In a box. With loads of others. Hey anyone wanna buy a service reset tool. I got a box load and they are all shiny. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts