MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've just picked up our first TF. It has the spray gunk rather than a spare wheel, and so I thought I'd get a spare wheel.

The current wheels are 185/55/R15/82. Looking on ebay, I've seen spare wheels that are 175/65R14 on eBay but not a 15" (except for full size allows).Just wondering if that's the right one to get, or if it needs to match the originals?

Thanks in advance,

Stu.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah - okay - thank you! That makes a lot more sense. I was a little confused as I expected them all to be the same, till I realised that's probably why they're called 'space saver' wheels :LOL:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late, I'm ebay trigger happy lol!

I've never really trusted that stuff to be honest. But I've also never used it so I don't have any personal experience.

I don't mind changing the wheel too much. Had to do it on the ZS recently and my other half drove down in her Golf as she had the tyre compressor in her car and I thought I may be able to limp home with some air, but the tear was too bad. Ended up using her headlights to see what I was doing, and then had to jump start the golf when the battery went flat lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Too late, I'm ebay trigger happy lol!

I've never really trusted that stuff to be honest. But I've also never used it so I don't have any personal experience.

I don't mind changing the wheel too much. Had to do it on the ZS recently and my other half drove down in her Golf as she had the tyre compressor in her car and I thought I may be able to limp home with some air, but the tear was too bad. Ended up using her headlights to see what I was doing, and then had to jump start the golf when the battery went flat lol.

You've done the right thing-buy a wheel and tyre. Let's be honest, we rarely get punctures, do we? Ive had 2 in 3 years on 2 of my cars-one being the TF which was a side-wall failure - aged TOYOS- 5 years, plenty of tread, daily user, probably 12k on them. I was SO glad Id swapped to a spare and had the correct gear- so I could replace and get on my way to wok in 1/2 hr, I guess. Ive got bikes and had loads of punctures over the years and bike recovery leaves you at least 2hrs. My other puncture was on my RRS and I couldn't get the jack under the car as it happened on an A-Road (dual carriageway) so the Police arrived and blocked a lane off , awaiting the AA or whoever they sent, bless him. Sill glad on both occasions I had wheels rather than the gunk because in both cases, I was able to drive away. Slime or gunk will only deal with a slow puncture and-its reliant on you getting the wheels moving quickly, which rarely is the case when you are covered in muck/brake dust etc and trying to not get the inside of the car filthy or you best frock....

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
780 Posts
I'm with Pat, best to have a spare tire.

A recently had a sidewall blowout on 6 month old tires on my LR Disco1 while we were vacationing. So nice to be able to put the spare on and continue on with our vacation trip rather than having to wait for a tow.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I'm with Pat, best to have a spare tire.

A recently had a sidewall blowout on 6 month old tires on my LR Disco1 while we were vacationing. So nice to be able to put the spare on and continue on with our vacation trip rather than having to wait for a tow.
I dont know where the spare wheel is on a disco- rear door, usually- but an RRS has it under the car on a winch...which of course seizes and will not lower- just unwinds untill you end up revers-winding it and then have a whole new probelm to deal with...That is until you end up replacing the winch completely...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks chaps, appreciate the advice.

Guess it goes to show that with a bit of bad luck, in can happen to any of us.

I do feel more comfortable with a wheel over gunk so don't regret. Managed to get the jack kit and retention bolt so think I should be sorted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts