MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all hello to all fellow MGr's as I've just joined.
My car is a 1996 MGF which had extensive work done on it after I bought it to restore it to its former glory. It has 115k miles on it. The engine was rebuilt and had the head upgraded as part of the restoration. I've since done about 3k miles.
The problems started about 3 weeks ago when I got a misfire going up a hill. After reading some posts on this forum, I decided to change the dis cap and rotor arm, the HT leads and the fuel filter. i didn't change the spark plugs as I'm pretty sure these were replaced when the engine was done up. All was well till yesterday when I was out for a run and decided to pull in at a beauty spot for a while and stopped the engine. After about ten minutes I went to start the car and no way would it start. It turned over no problem and give an initial kick but just gave up again. I waited for a while and still would not start after several attempts. Luckily the spot where I stopped was on a down hill and I rolled the car to try and start it which kicked it into life no problem. The car drove home without any further problems but I was afraid to turn the engine off till I got home just in case.
When home I stopped the car and started it over and over again without any problems (Typical). If the problem had arisen again I at least might have been able to try a few things but as it is now ok I'm left baffled.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?. I have read on here about the temperature inlet sensor possibly causing this problem but I'd like to hear other opinions before I order up one.

·
Registered
mgf
37 Posts
when was engine done? i would change the plugs as you have changed all the other possible culprits, bad plugs would cause symptoms like that , mine did similar and i changed what you have done with the plugs being the last as i thought "it wont be the plugs they look fine" after changing them not had problem since.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Just to add my two pennyworth:-
I had a similar thing happen to me about 18 months ago on my TF160.
After a lot of messing about it turned out to be a failing camshaft position sensor which was getting 'iffy' when it warmed up.
Replaced the sensor and the problem cleared.
Cheers .... B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. Thats given me a few options to try. The engine was done up about 3 years ago. I haven't done many miles since that as its only a Summer/sunny day car. When I bought the electrical service kit from MGOC it came with new spark plugs anyway so I suppose I should change them first to rule that out. I didn't have a 16mm plug socket and with thinking that they were already changed I didn't think it was likely to be that but you could be right.
I'll also check the earth strap.
Is the crankshaft sensor easy to replace? Does the timing or anything else have to be set if it is replaced?

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
As far as I can remember it's quite easy to do, but it does require the removal of the engine cover panel so that you can get to the top of the engine.
Having said that, mine was on the TF160 VVC engine, and I understand that the non-VVC engine has a slightly different type which may or may not require a lead as well.
The pictures on the Rimmers site should help.
In either case the sensor itself is simply push-in the hole with one retaining screw.
B.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I just looked at that and you seem to be right in that I'll need the lead as well. Just a question though, why is one sensor marked as genuine MG at around 42 quid and the other with an L suffix marked as genuine Land Rover but its showing as 149 quid?

·
Registered
mg_tf
312 Posts
Was it a particularly hot day when this issue started?
If so, it could possibly be as simple as fuel vaporisation - not uncommon with modern fuels. Of course, this can only be a guess, but it’s a zero effort/cost possibility, before spending time and money. Worth trying the car again and stopping on a hill, so you can bump start it again. Guess you have breakdown cover if necessary.
Changing sensors without diagnosis can be a costly hit or miss approach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, yesterday was a fairly hot day hence why I was out for a run. I understand what you're saying but I've got to the point where I'm afraid to take it out in case I end up stranded and you know Murphys law. Its sure to happen at the most inappropriate place or time! Plus, the Missus has lost confidence too and refuses to go out in it now!!
I'm almost at the point where I'd rule out anything that it might possibly be just for peace of mind.
I'm not sure either if the miss I experienced the last time I was out is connected to this problem or whether that was a completely separate issue?

·
Registered
mg_tf
312 Posts
Hello Rob,
So have you got breakdown and recovery cover?
If so, testing it again on a cooler day, would not seem to pose too much of a risk, particularly since as I recall the car didn’t actually come to a stop, but failed to start when hot after being turned off.
My theory might well be wrong, but as I said, it’s a zero cost/work option. Your alternative of throwing parts into it is another (cost and effort) option, and still might not cure the issue you had.
Kind regards,
Gareth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I have breakdown cover as part of my insurance but I still don't fancy sitting at the side of the road for a couple of hours with the wife bickering at me for buying such a silly little car!!:mad:
I completely agree with you. I think that I'll change the plugs and check the other things mentioned above and take it for a good run (without the wife) to get the heat up and try it on a hill to see. I'll take some tools with me this time so that if it does happen I can at least check a few things to see whats causing it.
I won't get to try it until the weekend as I'm away for work at the moment so I'll report back on my results after that.
Thanks for your input in the meantime.

·
Registered
mg_tf
60 Posts
Yes, yesterday was a fairly hot day hence why I was out for a run. I understand what you're saying but I've got to the point where I'm afraid to take it out in case I end up stranded and you know Murphys law. Its sure to happen at the most inappropriate place or time! Plus, the Missus has lost confidence too and refuses to go out in it now!!
I'm almost at the point where I'd rule out anything that it might possibly be just for peace of mind.
I'm not sure either if the miss I experienced the last time I was out is connected to this problem or whether that was a completely separate issue?
Been there, Done that, Got 'T' shirt etc. You have my sympathy - an identical experience!
In my case, if I left the car to cool down for a couple of hours it would restart no problem, but traffic queues would cause a lot of worry and it would fail again after a few miles.
I was 'rescued' 3 times before I finally sorted it, but by then the paranoia had taken a firm hold. For some time I suspected coil failure but this turned out not to be the case and I was getting no error codes.
What pointed me to cam sensor problems was an offhand remark on an unrelated issue on another forum.
Sorry I can't be more help - I know how it feels.
B

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Bagley.
No, You've been more than enough help but I'll try the plugs first and then if that doesn't work I'll definitely try your way. Unfortunately its going to have to be a 'suck it and see' and hopefully I'll get there eventually.

·
Registered
mg_tf
312 Posts
Hello Rob,
Perhaps I should have said not to take the wife, but it just seemed obvious to me. Can’t really see why you would be considering working on the car at the roadside rather than getting it recovered back home and working on it (if necessary) in your garage/drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just meant to check the obvious things like if the fuel is getting through and that theres a spark, not a complete engine strip down! If that doesn't show up anything I'd have to get it recovered. Hopefully it won't come to that. Like I said before I don't fancy sitting at the roadside for a couple of hours waiting on the recovery vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I have replaced the spark plugs and checked the earth connections. All are tight so I think I can rule that out.
The spark plugs don't look too bad from the outside i.e. no sign of cracking or carbonation but who knows.
I can also definitely rule out the camshaft sensor as I looked for it and there is none on my engine. I double checked in the service manual and sure enough my engine doesn't have it so I'm glad I didn't order one up.
I have started the car in the garage several times and its always started no problem. Time will tell if the problem has been resolved but today has been pretty miserable so I haven't taken it out for a run yet. Hopefully the weather will improve over the weekend and I'll get it out for a good run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about the coil Rob, could the coil be failing?
I had thought of that but then when the car started easily rolling down the hill there must have been a spark. The weathers good today so i'll get it out for a run later and see if changing the plugs have made a difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts