MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99F with a Steptronic gearbox. It has taken to making a screeching noise at low speeds and won't pull away smoothly in forward or reverse. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Frank,
How many km has your car done? I changed the fluid in mine at 100k and it was obviously tired and looked much darker than the new replacement fluid.
Be very careful to use the correct fluid if you go down that path. I am in Oz and we have a Penrite replacement here specifically marked as suitable for MGF and it has worked for me. It is not a big job to do

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Frank,
How many km has your car done? I changed the fluid in mine at 100k and it was obviously tired and looked much darker than the new replacement fluid.
Be very careful to use the correct fluid if you go down that path. I am in Oz and we have a Penrite replacement here specifically marked as suitable for MGF and it has worked for me. It is not a big job to do

Brian

Hi Harry

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here in Great Britain we still use miles - 1750 yards to the mile, 3 feet to the yard, 12 inches to the foot - I'm sometimes amazed that we ever stopped buying things with Groats but I'm sure that there will be some flag waving Little Englander out there hassling to get them back! To answer your question my F has done 71,000 miles which is over 100,00k. However, I changed the fluid and filter recently which made a significant difference at the time. As a matter of interest, when I bought the car as a 'project' 8 years ago I noticed that the fluid was black and smelly so I replaced it then - with ATF! It ran o.k. and it wasn't until I read last year that this was a heinous action with dire consequences that I decided to change it again. I would point out that this car is a summer only toy which only covers a couple of thousand miles a year. The 12 volt diesel/oil pump from LIDL (only £13) makes getting the fluid down the filler tube a doddle. Getting the sump off requires a selection of spanners and, preferably, the assistance of a triple jointed gnome. Torque it back up to the correct reading? No chance? Tighten and pray.

Regards

Frank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Harry

Sorry for the delay in replying. Here in Great Britain we still use miles - 1750 yards to the mile, 3 feet to the yard, 12 inches to the foot - I'm sometimes amazed that we ever stopped buying things with Groats but I'm sure that there will be some flag waving Little Englander out there hassling to get them back! To answer your question my F has done 71,000 miles which is over 100,00k. However, I changed the fluid and filter recently which made a significant difference at the time. As a matter of interest, when I bought the car as a 'project' 8 years ago I noticed that the fluid was black and smelly so I replaced it then - with ATF! It ran o.k. and it wasn't until I read last year that this was a heinous action with dire consequences that I decided to change it again. I would point out that this car is a summer only toy which only covers a couple of thousand miles a year. The 12 volt diesel/oil pump from LIDL (only £13) makes getting the fluid down the filler tube a doddle. Getting the sump off requires a selection of spanners and, preferably, the assistance of a triple jointed gnome. Torque it back up to the correct reading? No chance? Tighten and pray.

Regards

Frank
Hello Frank,
We have converted to metric here in Oz but I am old enough to have been schooled in roods and perches and furlongs not to mention reams and quires fluid ounces and pennyweights. Oh and yes THERE ARE 240 pence to the Pound NOT 100. What ever happened to the ha’pennies and farthings let alone florins and half crowns. And let’s not forget 100 links to a cricket pitch. Come to think of it that is almost metric isn’t it? And weren’t guineas wonderful along with those bakers dozens and the joys of Roman numerals.
But I digress. I haven’t had my F long but from what I have read the box is very susceptible to damage with the wrong fluid. Perhaps your sojourn on the dark side has compromised the flexible belt prematurely and this may require replacement. There is a you tube on how to do this from someone in the Estados Unidos on a mini with the same gearbox. Can be done by someone like us and the belt is fairly cheap.
HOWEVER there is one more thing you might try. You may have noticed that people who change the gearbox oil and are particular to put in what they take out usually report a refill amount of 3.5 litres (about 6 pints(imperial)). Now the whole deal including the front drivers side cooler and lines is 5.5 litres (my manual is in litres). SO your changeover back from the dark side has probably only given you a little over half of the correct CVT fluid and you are running a shandy (in Oz that is a mixture of beer and lemonade - girls drink) I know it’s expensive to dump what you have in there and a pain to drain the cooler as well but it might be a way forward?
Regards
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts