MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 54 plate rover streetwise with 39k on the clock , i drive a rover 25 which is my 5th rover. He went out the other evening and when he returned to the car the headlights would not work. We have checked the bulbs which are fine, fuses ok, the stalk is ok as we have checked voltage which appears at the fuse when it is turned to dipped headlight. All other lights and systems seem to work as they should. I have worked through the rover 25 haynes manual as best as possible eg mine has an mfu whereas his has a number of relays which are all same and i have swapped about with no remedy. Is there a dipped headlight relay and where is it, any help appreciated.

second problem is my rover 25 which when you turn on the intermittent or normal winscreen wipers it can take up to a minute before they start working, not ideal in heavy rain. The pull wash wipe works after about 3 seconds and appears normal. When you switch on intermittent wipe you can hear the mfu clicking about every 5 seconds. I have changed the wiper motor FOUR times and they all worked the same so i now have 3 spare motors. I have changed the mfu 3 times including one that was £35 as was supposedly from rover stock when they closed and had never been on a car, so i now have 2 spare mfu,s. I have worked through the wiring diagram and i am stumped, again any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,454 Posts
Regarding Streetwise headlamps, there is no relay for them. Reading through all what was tested I would say you either have break in wires or bad earth connection. You said that you measured voltage on fuses. I would suggest to measure voltage on the headlamp connectors. If there is no voltage you have brakege in wires. If there is voltage, measure earth connection in black wires to see earthconnection. If ever ything is fine in wires, you might want to recheck the bulbs.

Regarding your wipers, seems to me the problem is within stalk switch. If you changed so many motors and MFUs, stalk switch is the only one left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regarding Streetwise headlamps, there is no relay for them. Reading through all what was tested I would say you either have break in wires or bad earth connection. You said that you measured voltage on fuses. I would suggest to measure voltage on the headlamp connectors. If there is no voltage you have brakege in wires. If there is voltage, measure earth connection in black wires to see earthconnection. If ever ything is fine in wires, you might want to recheck the bulbs.

Regarding your wipers, seems to me the problem is within stalk switch. If you changed so many motors and MFUs, stalk switch is the only one left.
I thought of that but the only problem is that each dipped headlight is fed by a seperate fuse, the chances of two seperate wires breaking at the same time would be very remote. Also you would expect that the wire was broken rubbing on a bulkhead or similar and that should have caused an earth and blow the fuse. Perplexing so maybe next weekend i may have a proper go at and try to trace the loom ( easier said than done ) and possible run a new wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of that but the only problem is that each dipped headlight is fed by a seperate fuse, the chances of two seperate wires breaking at the same time would be very remote. Also you would expect that the wire was broken rubbing on a bulkhead or similar and that should have caused an earth and blow the fuse. Perplexing so maybe next weekend i may have a proper go at and try to trace the loom ( easier said than done ) and possible run a new wire.
You are right on one point, i put a direct feed from the battery to the light and it lit up so i think that negates a bad earth. If there is no relay then it all points to an open circuit but what would the odds be of two wires, one to each light, breaking at the same time and causing an open circuit without earthing and blowing the fuse?.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,454 Posts
If you have power on fuses then you can look at connector for the lights wires in the fusebox. They are in the same connector one beside other and it might be you have loose connector on fusebox side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
If you have power on fuses then you can look at connector for the lights wires in the fusebox. They are in the same connector one beside other and it might be you have loose connector on fusebox side.
Thanks i have seen the two large connector blocks on top of the fuse board and never thought of that. At the weekend going to have a good session at it and have ordered some wire in case i have to run two new lengths from the fuses to the lights. Will let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Your wiper problem could be down to the relays in the BCU.

The motors can also have in-line EMC issues that causes spurious functions of other electrical devices in the car, eg locking. This can be fixed by fitting a capacitor in the steering wheel controls. I’ll dig details out if you think this is the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your wiper problem could be down to the relays in the BCU.

The motors can also have in-line EMC issues that causes spurious functions of other electrical devices in the car, eg locking. This can be fixed by fitting a capacitor in the steering wheel controls. I’ll dig details out if you think this is the case.
I will give it a try, i think it only passes the mot because they use the wash wipe and don’t have to wait for the wipers to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will give it a try, i think it only passes the mot because they use the wash wipe and don’t have to wait for the wipers to start.
Not sure mine has an SCU like in the picture. Mine has an mfu which is red and plugs in to the rear of the fuse board under the dashboard, i have changed this three times.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,454 Posts
If OP has MFU unit then he does not have SCU/BCU with relays. Also capacitor solution was in case when you had problematic version of wiper motor which OP said he changed several, so this would not be the case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts