MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Im just thinking out of the box here, but I think my tappets are a bit on the noisy side, not always....gone after a few minutes.

Could this be a possible cause?

what do you think?

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's the Blue Hylomar. Maybe old gasket or something they used to clean the head surfaces?

·
Registered
mgf
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Okay, so update time.....Today’s been a bad day!

so I thought I’d bring the car up to temp by idling her whilst I mowed the lawn....not a good start as right off there was thick white smoke from the exhaust. Coolant tank had dropped 0.5cm overnight after putting her in the garage. Nothing on the mats I had placed underneath her to check for leaks so I topped it up to just over the max mark before turning her on.

The emissions took around 5 mins to subside and I went about mowing. See second video.

20 mins later, the engine was labouring and shuddering a fair bit, so I turned her off. Rad fans had kicked in and coolant level was lower but not hugely. So I turned her off and left her while I mowed another lawn, went back and tried to start her up......very difficult to do, lots of key turning with no engine....when she did kick in, there was some wild idling and stalling, very juddery shake from the engine and the engine warning light had come on.

Got my fault code reader and low and behold, cylinder misfire.....

After finally getting her started, and she hadn’t even had chance to cool down, I was greeted with loads of white from the exhaust as per the video below. Engine oil at around 90-100 at this time.

Checked tank and it was virtually empty so at this point, I’ve just garaged her again. Oh, and the expansion tank still stinks of petrol/exhaust gases, no apparent signs of coolant loss on the floor or from hoses etc....

Any input appreciated as I’m at the end of my tether with this....

This video was from starting up from cold, 20c outside...

And a rather unusual noise coming from what seemed to be near the cam belt end of business - not sure what it is, never hear it before.....

And finally, this video was taken after she had been up to temp, left for half an hour and turned off. Upon return and when I tried to restart her, I got this.....very rough running, almost stalling, slight backfiring etc...she has always started on the very first turn of the key prior to these issues.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Hate to say this but it does look like the HG has failed and coolant is getting into one of the cylinders. Probably explains the poor starting, rough idling, white smoke from the exhaust, and cylinder misfire. If you can get the plugs out and check their condition you'll find one or more to be very clean when in fact they should be a light brown colour.

·
Registered
mgf
37 Posts
I agree it does look like HGF :( surprised its not over heating though, check the compression on the cylinders if you can get a tester if you dont have one.
I used sniffer test from fleabay on mine as it was losing about 1cm water a week and sometime getting close to overheating, test didnt show a thing! car started fine, no sign of headgasket failure apart from the loss of water and when i plucked up the courage to do the headgasket ( had mls gasket) it was absolutely knackered. My headgasket was done by previous owner over 4 years ago but only 1000 miles in those 4 years but it still failed.

·
Registered
mgf
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
She did get up to about 120 but the fan kicked in and I turned her off pretty much after she’d cooled a bit.....I haven’t been using the car much since this all started for fear of the worst away from home.....maybe I caught a bit of a lucky break as daft as that sounds

Thanks guys for the input, I’ve been back in touch with the mechanics who have said they’ll stand by their warranty and are scheduled to come back to me on 18th July.

ill update this thread as and when, but thanks to all thus far for your help and advice.

·
Registered
mgf
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just a small update, conversed with the mechanics today who suggested the crud floating around the cooling system was probably flakes of stuff off the propeller on the water pump? - I’ve no idea.

The car is now officially off the road as of Monday when I finally got her back in my garage after filming those videos, now just a waiting game until they come out to me. One good thing is that I wasn’t really using the car anyway due to this sodding coronavirus palaver started....she’s been sat idle more than not for the last 3 months ☹

·
Registered
mgf
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh, and just to correct a mistake I made in my initial description of the issue, it appears I had ONE liner replaced, no shims Involved or so I’m told.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts