MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few things on a cars MOT I looked and it mentioned the rear subframe is corroded but structural rigidity isn’t affected and also the subframe or chassis is corroded by 30cm but doesn’t affect its safety. That was the MOTS wording.
Is this bad? Or will it become a major issue soon and car ends up in scrap yard?
Thanks on advance.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,204 Posts
I am assuming it is referring to the main front subframe here as that is generally described as the front rear subframe (the front subframe being the crossmember that goes across beneath the radiator and to which the brake reaction bars are fitted).

I had a similar sort of advisory on the MOT for my 06 plate ZR a year ago - "front subframe starting to corrode". I knew it was becoming rusty, and a couple of years ago had to have a small plate welded onto the strut that runs blow the steering rod on one side as it was severely weakened by rust. I decided it would be a good idea to take the subframe out, clean off the rust and repaint before it got serious, but on knocking off the rust scale found that it was already too late and there were significant holes in it (in awkward places too, so it wasn't going to be easily possible to plate it up!). The degree of the corrosion wasn't apparent to the tester because it was partially hidden on the upper side of the subframe where it bolts to the car.

So yes,whether it is front or rear wheels subframe, if you have an advisory for subframe corrosion this year, it is quite possible that next year it will fail because of it.

I would examine it as carefully as possible in situ (if you can run it up on ramps). If it is surface corrosion, I would advise getting the subframe dropped out to clean/repair/repaint, but be warned it is not a simple straightforward or easy removal job without access to a proper vehicle lift and the right tools. I did my ZR up on axle stands, and it wasn't much fun tbh; space beneath the car was restricted, and it was awkward trying to steady the subframe/steering rack assembly as I lowered it on a trolley jack.

Here are a few pics of the state of mine when I took it off (and the replacement ready to go on):
DSC00104.jpg

DSC00105.jpg
DSC00106.jpg
DSC00111.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts