MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what i can work out, the engine in the MG is being provided by Swindon engines, also being used in Toyota, Vauxhall and proton?

So does that mean that Honda etc are using there own engine/another engine that meets the regs?

Also, does anyone know if the engine Swindon are building is of there own design, from the sump up, or are parts of it based on a production engine?

This suprised me as I thought that the entire field was buying engines from the same source.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
From what i can work out, the engine in the MG is being provided by Swindon engines, also being used in Toyota, Vauxhall and proton?

So does that mean that Honda etc are using there own engine/another engine that meets the regs?

Also, does anyone know if the engine Swindon are building is of there own design, from the sump up, or are parts of it based on a production engine?

This suprised me as I thought that the entire field was buying engines from the same source.
This answers your first question

Engine:
- 300+bhp 2-litre turbo-charged direct-injection engine with 'fly by wire' throttle control.
- Low cost to develop, build, buy and maintain - either by teams and/or race engine-builders developing their own, or through lease/purchase of the TOCA-BTCC engine
- Engine can be sourced from a manufacturers broad 'family' range, including subsidiary marques under their effective control.
- Over-boost function and increased power output from 2013

Dont have any info as to whether its a new engine or based on a manufactorers, but got a nice picture of one at Thruxton

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This answers your first question

Engine:
- 300+bhp 2-litre turbo-charged direct-injection engine with 'fly by wire' throttle control.
- Low cost to develop, build, buy and maintain - either by teams and/or race engine-builders developing their own, or through lease/purchase of the TOCA-BTCC engine
- Engine can be sourced from a manufacturers broad 'family' range, including subsidiary marques under their effective control.
- Over-boost function and increased power output from 2013

Dont have any info as to whether its a new engine or based on a manufactorers, but got a nice picture of one at Thruxton

Is that a Swindon unit out of the MG?

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a Swindon engine waiting to go into one of the Vectra`s, but would image its the same.

Paul
Looks impressive, I imagine alot of bits, turbo etc are off the shelf stuff, then they machine the blocks, pistons etc in house.

I think it would be fairer if all BTCC teams had to use the same source engine.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
To the OP. Honda use their own engine. MG didn't have time to develop one so use the TOCA Standard engine. Perhaps next year MG could use their own engine but there seems little point now as the Swindon engine seems very competitive.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I think I can live with the MG using the TOCA Swindon engine as MGR used different engine suppliers in the past for roadcars.

Yep Honda use their own engine based on the K20 developed by Neil Brown Engineering and all of the Honda's on the grid uses it.

Not a fan of NGTC regs personally, as far as I am concerned it's one step removed from silhouette racing ugh.

Anyway from the top of my head, Swindon TOCA engine users are MG, Speedworks Toyota, Welch Proton and all the Vauxhall's.

Motorbase Fords use a Mountune developed Ford engine.

Dynojet Toyota uses a X CTech R developed Toyota engine.

The VAG cars use a Lehmann developed VAG engine, if STR were still around maybe they could of gave Oreca a call.

The BMW's are using a Z4 based engine developed by Neil Brown Engineering this season.

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I can live with the MG using the TOCA Swindon engine as MGR used different engine suppliers in the past for roadcars.

Yep Honda use their own engine based on the K20 developed by Neil Brown Engineering and all of the Honda's on the grid uses it.

Not a fan of NGTC regs personally, as far as I am concerned it's one step removed from silhouette racing ugh.

Anyway from the top of my head, Swindon TOCA engine users are MG, Speedworks Toyota, Welch Proton and all the Vauxhall's.

Motorbase Fords use a Mountune developed Ford engine.

Dynojet Toyota uses a X CTech R developed Toyota engine.

The VAG cars use a Lehmann developed VAG engine, if STR were still around maybe they could of gave Oreca a call.

The BMW's are using a Z4 based engine developed by Neil Brown Engineering this season.
Extremely interesting mate, no idea that some of the engines were developed from road cars!

Is the Swindon unit totally unique design?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Is the Swindon unit totally unique design?
I believe it's loosely based on the Vauxhall/GM Z22SE (as used in the Astra/Vectra/Zafira/VX220 etc).

Would make sense if it is though, The Vauxhall "Redtop" (C20***) and newer Ecotec variants based around it seem to produce huge reliable power without throwing too much money at them...

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it's loosely based on the Vauxhall/GM Z22SE (as used in the Astra/Vectra/Zafira/VX220 etc).

Would make sense if it is though, The Vauxhall "Redtop" (C20***) and newer Ecotec variants based around it seem to produce huge reliable power without throwing too much money at them...
Proven championship winner too.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Thorney and Swindon have a falling out, link.

Technically Thorney and Swindon are competitors offtrack so was wondering if that has anything to do with it, but then so are 888 and they don't seem to be having an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts