MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know if user "technozen" is still operating his business via his website?

Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair

I have an issue with my 45 where the previous owner had fitted an aftermarket drivers electric window switch. Today i spent several hours removing it and all the associated wiring to replace it with a new standard switch off the internet. However, although the window goes up, it doesn't not go down and doesn't click!

Therefore i think one of the relays in the SCU has gone.

(Backed up by the fact the old switch was soldered to wiring under the dash and bypassing the SCU!)

Has anyone dealt with him recently? He was last "seen" according this forum 4 months ago so just want to make sure its all ok.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right thats the centre console out..pretty easy tbh.

Now confronted with the SCU...clearly someones been in there before as there seems to be 2 aftermarket relays wired into it - absolute mess! To the left you can also see the remains of the bodged wiring i've taken out of the door as well! Hopefully the 2 relays that are wired in are just for the window and not another circuit so i only have to reinstate one genuine relay...i did buy the 5 pack but it'd be good to keep 4 for spares as my dad has a 45 and also a 75 so they might be needed.

I've disconnected the battery so just waiting a bit before i unplug it from the car and can open it up...

The CD player has also been repaired or decoded at some point as theres a sticker from 2005 from a shop in Gateshead

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the external relays seem to be for the central locking. Whoever did has ripped the old relay off and soldered this crap to underside and cut through the case as well...what a bodge!

So i have 2 to replace it seems = oh great!

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
Certainly does look a bit of a mess, although the person who did it must have a degree of understanding of electrics to know how to match the SCU motherboard connections to the conventional type relay correctly....

...or perhaps he didn't, and that is why it didn't work as it should?

Before going to the expense of a new SCU, and getting it set up to match the electrical equipment in your 45, it might be worth desoldering the wires from the SCU motherboard and soldering one of your new relays into it (from the correct side, obviously). If it then works as it should, you only need to find a suitable piece of plastic to glue over the hole in the SCU casing.

Would save the hassle of trying to find a used SCU with matched fobs and engine ECU, or the cost of buying a brand new SCU and fobs and having it set up to the electrical spec of the car?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats exactly what i'm doing.

Got the old wires off and the old window relay off aleady. Just have some soup then will try and get the new ones on;

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got relays soldered on...not the neatest job in the world but they're on.

I have already tested it and everything works...can't believe it, and all for about £20!

Tomorrow i'll epoxy a small panel over the cut out someone has made to the SCU cover and get the rest of the interior back in.

Thumbs up to technozen for the relays and quick delivery!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Well they certainly don’t look like ‘dry joints’. Hat off to you for the repair. I just sent my unit to technozen for him to solder in the relays. (y)

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
That looks much better, and glad it all works.

Looking back at the mass of wiring to the external relay, it just reinforces my thought that some people really do go out of their way to make very hard work of really very simple repair jobs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see that a previous owner had re-attached your SCU using cable ties. This must be common practice - I needed to remove the SCU from my TF, and had obtained a Torx bit from Technozen, only to find it wasn't needed because someone had cut through the metal mounting strap, and then fashioned a cable-tie cat's cradle around it. Anyway, my SCU is now with Technozen, for him to weave his magic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i removed my pektron unit from my mgzs sent it to
technozen on the tuesday dinner time got it back friday dinner time
back in the car on saturday alls good.car back on the road

1 - 11 of 11 Posts