MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternator has packed up in less than a year. Curiously no dash light showing. Any ideas. Replaced with reputable recon. New battery about 6 months. No charge reading barely 11 volts at battery and at the large fuse in the boot when running. Could there be a short somewhere blowing the alternator? Any obvious places. How do I check and change the diode and other components?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou for that! Makes sense. How do I do that? Do I need to pull the bulb from the dash?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, I think it's 3 screws upwards into the curved part & then 2 screws on the bottom of the speedo head bit so you can pull it forward, just as an aside does the oil light come on along with the handbrake?

·
Registered
mg_tf
357 Posts
I’ve had 2 fail with exactly the same symptoms as yours, on the last one I did a post mortem and the issue is caused by the chip in the controller becoming detached from it’s substrate. This causes the hair fine wires to break stopping the charging and also the warning light.

That’s the bad news, the good news is it’s easy to replace the controller, see link below.

I can’t guarantee it’s the regulator that’s faulty, but this cured both my issues

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou very much. Next question is where to get the regulator component but more to the point what is blowing it? Could it be that something has trapped the main lead causing an intermittent short? We have had the subframe out and rebuilt the engine. I know one lead travels up to the fuse in the boot. Where does it go then?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
strange that I've run the car for 13 years on the original and now it needed two in 18 months

·
Registered
mg_tf
357 Posts
OK looks to be about £15 on ebay. Now do I have a bosch? It is a 2003 135 TF
I can't guarantee yous is a Bosch but the 2 I've repaired have been.

Thankyou very much. Next question is where to get the regulator component but more to the point what is blowing it? Could it be that something has trapped the main lead causing an intermittent short? We have had the subframe out and rebuilt the engine. I know one lead travels up to the fuse in the boot. Where does it go then?
If you had an intermittent short I'd like to think it would blow the fuse. The 2 I had fail were both regulators and certainly the one I dissected was a mechanical failure not an electrical one. I suspect the chip had fallen off the substrate due to vibration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts