MG-Rover.org Forums banner

701 - 720 of 741 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
It won't be until Saturday until I find out one way or another. Don't worry folks. I'll keep you posted.

Oh. By the way. It would appear that there are other members here that frequent the Jaguar forums!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
Right folks. Update time.

It was light enough and dry enough to have a go at the Jag. I turned the steering to full lock and removed the screw. It was a bit tricky pulling the panel away, but I managed it. With the aid of a torch, I peered inside. There was just enough room to get my hand inside and remove the plug from the sounder unit. I then went inside and replaced fuse 75. Success!

The only other thing I had to do was to clear the fault code with my Reader. To make sure that all was well. I turned the engine off. Removed the Reader and started the car again. The EML stayed off. I have climate control and my folding wing mirrors again! So, what of the future?

I am looking at replacing the batteries inside the sounder unit. The Ni-Cads inside the unit are well past their 'shelf life'. I have seen a picture of an opened unit (The batteries were a mess). If I can get the unit out and opened. I'll be using Ni-mh cells.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Say what you like about Brexit (but not here). The UK is no longer a part. To celebrate, I've bought myself a new pair of number plates. The old ones had the EU flag on them. The new ones don't.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
I've not written for a while. It's not because nothing has happened. It's because nothing has happened that's of interest. The closest thing to 'interesting' was last Monday.

I was out in the Jag, looking for a specific place near the coast. At the time (7pm) it was dark and stormy. I went and took a wrong turn. I ended up driving a very narrow road through a coastal village called Lee. At the bottom of the village is a narrow road with a wall separating the sea from the village. Because of the storm. The sea was crashing over the wall.

Now. I was staring the the situation that was less than 100 yards in front of me. I didn't want to drive through a salty 'car wash', but I couldn't reverse as there was nowhere to turn around. I had no choice but get a free car wash!

I did try and time it all. I thought I could get through between the gaps of the waves crashing over the wall. Alas. It was not to be. Two socking big waves crashed over the Jag as I went through! Happily. The Jag never missed a beat and I managed to drive on. The next day. The Jag had a total hose down!

I'm now going through the SD card on my dashcom to see if it's all on film.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Ye Gods I'd completely forgotton to Post up the video of the Jag getting a free (but unwanted) sea water car wash! Better late than never.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Great video, great car mate!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
It's been a while since I've Posted. As anyone would expect. The lockdown has effected the schedule for the Jag.

I like to have a 'Spring Clean' service. Nothing much. Brake pad checks, etc and the air-con is due its 2 year service. Can't get that done. The Garage I use is open, but not for servicing. I want to get 4 new tyres. There's nothing wrong with the ones I have (Plenty of tread), but the rubber (in my opinion) is getting old (No cracks though). I can get the tyres, but changing them isn't 'essential'. As for the 6 month extention on the MOT. Well. My MOT isn't due until July. I'm pretty sure that the free extention won't be needed. However. If the Jag fails on the sills. I can make use of it. I'm actually hoping that the sills do fail. Once they're done. The Jag will be solid for years!

As a bit of cheekyness. My motorbike passed its MOT a few days before the Lockdown. No extention needd!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Yesterday. I found out that my ABS works! As the roads were pretty empty. I was going faster than I should've. I was going on the main road into town when the traffic lights turned red. Anchor time! The sensation was like putting your foot on a machine gun as it was being fired!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
During the long, hot weekend days. I open all of the Jags windows and let cabin air out (As well as keeping the inside cool). The 'one touch' on the buttons works for all four windows when opening them. It wasn't until today that I noticed that it only worked for the drivers window for closing. I've always held the button for all four windows when closing. In this instance. My finger slipped on the driver window button. The window continued to close. Oh. I think to myself. I didn't know that.

Well. I went through the entire reset drill for the other three windows. Now they open and close with 'one touch'. Sweeeeeeet!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
With the current lockdown situation being what it is. I'm having to do the servicing on the Jag myself. Jaguar's being what they are (Bigger and more complex than your average Rover). I'm being taken, somewhat out of my comfort zone. Stuff like changing the filters and wipers are easy. The brake pads are more awkward. I've had to buy in the tool to reset the rear calipers. I've no idea if I can get under the Jag to change the fuel filter. At least the part was cheap enough not to worry to much. The thing I'm dreading is changing the spark plugs. The inlet manifold has to come off to get to the rear bank!

I'm just waiting for the parts to turn up now....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Well. The servicing I could do with the parts I had is done. Both the air and cabin filters were surprisingly clean. Neither needed replacing. Considering that both filters are in use when the engine is running (The Climate Control is on all of the time), I'm at a loss to explain why. Doesn't matter though. Filters are cheap. Engines expensive. The wipers still had some life in them, but not a years worth.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Engines expensive. The wipers still had some life in them, but not a years worth.
If you dont use them already, try Eurocarparts for your wipers - they always have a sale/offer on and you will struggle to beat them for price - they will deliver to you door too.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
I change things like the filters and wipers every year, if they're needed or not. The wipers were worn, but not enough to fail an MOT. Having said that. I do like to support local suppliers. Yes, it does cost a few bob more and they can't really compete against internet suppliers who have lower overheads, but obtaining something the same day has its advantages.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
It's been a loooooooong day.

As we all know. Garages are closed for regular servicing. This means that I have to do some of the things myself. Items like the windscreen wipers, cabin filter and air filter are easy enough to do at home. Other items are a lot harder, due the complexity of modern cars. Moving swiftly along....

My service schedule for this years included: Brake pads all round. New fuel filter. All new spark plugs and replacing the alarm sounder that went short circuit earlier in the year.I also want 4 new tyres.

The first 2 jobs went rather well. Changing the front brake pads are the same for any car with disc brakes on the front axel. While the front left wheel was off. I fitted a replacement alarm sounder that I bought some months ago. Before I put the wheel back on. I tested the electrics. The fuse didn't blow. The alarm was good!

It all went wrong when changing the rear pads. Now. You have to use a tool to wind back the piston in the rear calipers. I spent AGES winding the rear left piston. It simply didn't go back into the caliper. I gave up. I put the caliper back on and re-fitted the wheel. Things went down hill further....

Getting the old fuel filter was easy enough (You should've seen the muck that came out of it). It was the original Jaguar filter. Although the Jag had done 60,000 miles. I'm surprised that it hadn't been changed before! Anyway. I fitted the new filter. Then the problem reared its ugly head. The diameter of the new filter was smaller than the original. It was loose in its clamp. I ended up using strips of lead as packing pieces to take up the slack. This will not do! I measured the old filter and searched the interweb for a filter of the same size. I've now bought one. I'll replace the wonky filter when the right sized one arrives. Can't have a bodge job visible when the Jag goes for its MOT in July. The last job was the spark plugs.

This is where I had a pleasant surprise. I took out the first plug from the front bank of cylinders. It was an NGK Iridium plug. The cylinder condition was good. I also measured the gap. It was bang on the the correct gap of 1.3mm. I checked the other 2 plugs in the front bank. They also had the correct gap. Those cylinders were in good order as well. I cleaned the three plugs and put them back. Why change the plugs when there's nothing wrong with them?

Now that I've had time to reflect. I think I know where I went wrong with the rear brake pads. When you push in a piston. The fluid goes back onto the fluid tank. It can only go back in, if there's room. I didn't check the fluid level, or take the cap off. Ooops! On the bright side. A couple of weeks will allow the front pads to 'bed in'. Then, when the new fuel filter arrives. I'll check the fluid and drain some out before I try and fit the rear pads again.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Yeah, best to take the lid off the reservoir and check there is room for the extra fluid to flow into. What about the rest of the spark plugs? We’re you so impressed with the ones you saw you assume they are all ok?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
The three plugs I took out weren't the original factory plugs. Considering the Jaguar service history and the 60,000 that the car has covered. I have no reason to think that the rear bank of plugs are not in the same condition. To find out. I'd have to take off the inlet manifold. Seems a bit of a faff really.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
The new fuel filter arrived on Thursday. I thought I'd make an early start on the Jag, while it was still cool. The new fuel filter fitted perfectly. So, it was onto the rear brake pads.

Last weekend. I made the mistake of not removing some of the brake fluid from the tank, before pushing the pistons into the caliper. I got hold of some syringes to do that job with. I then got out all of the tools I needed to change the pads with. However. THere was one I couldn't find. That was the adaptor tool to take off the security nuts. I couldn't find it anywhere! Every other tool was in its correct place. I have this strangest feeling that I left it on the wheel nut and it has fallen off somewhere. DOH!!

It's taken me over an hour to locate a 2nd hand replacement.

Never mind. We've all done stupid things.

701 - 720 of 741 Posts