MG-Rover.org Forums banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Thank you for that tip! :D
No I hadn't seen that mod: there are so many posts in the other forum...
The finish touch looks very nice, far nicer than the rough spring I'd seen in the first place.
But something's missing: the item list!
And TBH I was a bit dropped backwards when I read: "Some had issues with them causing the hinges for the bootlid to bend." :eek:
BTW I'm so impressed by my new struts which make a massive difference with my old 21 years old ones that I think I may postpone that mod for a while except if I can get the exact length of the metal spacer and the precise spring type. I'll see to ask the question later.
Thank you once more: astute & not to fiddly a mod! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
As my "England" boot badge has completely lost its red colour, I replaced it with a slight classic flavour of good old days Britishness...

Before:

After (do excuse a very thin layer of dust due to the lock-down...):

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
Here is the last ranking in this month PC. The 75 is 11th out of 40: not that bad! :love:
Just behind the MG F/TF! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
Morris Minor indeed ! 👍

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
I'm happy to say that I've found out a French Rave for 75/ZT/ZT260. I didn't imagine such ever existed! :D
It will be of good use for my skillful mechanic who isn't that keen on English, mainly when the time comes to swap belts, pump & pulley. Very soon...
The last swap was done on the 25 Apr 2014. But I'm not obsessed with the so called 6 years rule. Lots of 75 did 10 years and more with the same belt without any harm as we can learn from forums. On the other hand I'll not try a foul play which would be silly of me. Maybe next autumn or even in spring 2021 at the latest.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Belt swap on a V6? That’s a difficult job, I’m not surprised your mechanic would prefer to work with French manuals!
Indeed and he should have thin hands because there isn't much room in the engine bay.
Since he is working on my 3 Rovers, I bet he has greatly improved his skills. It would be nice if he'd been awarded with a special Rover mechanical trophy ! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
A good find recently: 2 Rover workshop manuals in French bought from a retired Rover mechanic who worked very close to Rover France headquarters in Paris North suburb.
The electrical library is regarding the 75, and the other one is constituted by several additions made from 1995 to 1999 for the 200, 400, 600 & 800 series but one booklet inside is about the KV6 last release in the 800, and I assume that it's very similar to the 75 KV6. Am I wrong ?

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #710 (Edited)
Every time I'm at my 75 wheel it gives me lots of good vibes - vibes I write, not vibrations!
Particularly one of the best features IMHO is the cruise control.
Why?

With an auto gear box 75 - even in a V6 2.5 - you may think sometimes that the pace is rather lazy, revs hardly pushing over 2k in ordinary situations, that is very often.
But had I switched on the CC and fixed it at 50 mls (80 km) which is unfortunately now the rule on the country roads and had I just switched it off for any good reason - crossing a village at 30 mls (50 km), following a sluggish car, encountering a corner or whatever reason, when I resume the previous pace the engine suddenly comes back to life going down to lower gears and revving higher up to 3 or 4k, you feel a massive power pulling you forward faster & faster and realize that your engine was dozing beforehand thus using a ridiculous amount out of its actual strength.
The fact is that without the CC unless I crush the pedal in a sudden kick-down while leaving the box in 'normal' (eco) mode, I can't get the same brilliant result. Hence I'm activating the CC as soon as I can especially uphill. It's great fun!

Another good moment is when this morning remaining out of the car and giving the key to my good mechanic I heard the exhaust (MIJ Exhaust full SS line) from outside: a fantastic low-pitched growling not too loud but neatly present I haven't ever the opportunity to hear so comfy & insulated is the cabin when I'm at the wheel. Then you can realize it's a true V6 and not a 4 cyl. Magic!

At last thanks to the ethanol (--> high engine lower temperatures) and the mod I've done within the air box I'm every time amazed to notice the unusual low temperature of the coolant (thanks to Torque Pro) when cruising with a little charge on the engine: often aeound 80°C, and sometimes around 75°. Last Wednesday 74°C. Hard to reach 90° unless I find myself jammed in the traffic which nearly never happens! I must add that nearly 3 years ago I've put a slightly oversized radiator using all the room available which may help.

I can't wait to drive Lady Carlotta on the 17th of June going 500km (320 mls) far from home to visit my younger son and his wife in Savoy (Alps).

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
So yesterday I went at my mechanic's to change my nearly worn pair of rear tyres.
So far I'd 205x65x15 in the front & 195x65x15 at the rear. All good Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance.

As the back ones were put in the front and the new ones at the rear, now all are 195.
Will passing from 205 to 195 make any difference in handling and / or consumption? I'll tell you later on. Initially the whole lot was 205. But 195 are far much cheaper and I thought that the difference wasn't worth the money. Mind you I'm not mean and tight: if so I wouldn't spend so much on my prides & joys, but I demand that every penny is well invested.

BTW I asked him to re-tighten the hand brake cables at the drum fastening: when he swapped the drums several months ago he didn't want them too tightly fitted and told me he'll do it next time. Hence that's it.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #712 (Edited)
As I'm back from Savoy where lives my younger son, it looks I've got some feed back.

First the 195 front tyres: TBH no feeling difference with the previous 205 ones, brand - Goodyear - and model - efficient grip performance - being the same. And mind that in the Alps there are lots of corners as usual in mountains!

Consumption... terrible! But mind my V6 2.5 is only swallowing E85 (ethanol) hence at least 20% more than unleaded 95.
All the conditions were gathered to make it high:
  • altitude
  • awful lot of corners
  • awful lot of uphill country roads
  • some densely populated crossings (Aix les Bains, Annecy) hence traffic, lamps, speed bumps
  • sunny & warm weather hence aircon nearly every time
Chronological result in 5 fuel-ups:
  • out 1/2: 12.78L or 22.1mpg
  • out 2/2: 12.07L or 23.4mpg
  • on the spot 1/2: 14.86L or 19.1mpg (the second worst one ever done!)
  • on the spot 2/2 & back 1/2: 13.57L or 21.6mpg
  • back 2/2: 12.53L or 22.5mpg
the usual average being the last one. E85 litre being 0.60€ worth in France on my way (E5/E10 being around 1.30€ at the moment), then not so expensive after all...

Maybe I should have told you I've got a heavy foot which is particularly excuseless uphill & in corners...
But what a bliss in such a car! She works a treat.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I guess 195’s are fine if the handling is not affected. Some models had 195’s as standard. You should get less rolling resistance and less noise as well, although it’s probably marginal! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
I guess in 1999-2000 they were fitted with 205, then because economy & project drive 195 afterwards. Or maybe 195 for 1.8 & 2.0 and 205 for V6?
Anyway the comfort isn't affected at all nor the handling on dry ground. I've just to test the latter on wet corners except that I'm very reluctant to take her for a drive when the weather's rainy! :unsure: ;)

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
As I've told once, one of the things that shows the good health of the engine & both VIS motors is the kick-down!
Every time I've had to overtake as quickly as possible (not that often...), it was hugely impressive and I was flabbergasted!
As I've better to focus on the road I can't say how many revs it's going up to but I bet that 4.5k or even 5k might be pretty close to the truth because I can hear the engine growling high during a few seconds. In less time than to tell it we are propelled like a rocket from 80km/h (50 mls) to 110 (70 mls): every time dreadfully amazing and it gives me a big grin on the face!
The more surprising is that it doesn't cost so much fuel (I've the nearly instant consumption in view thanks to Torque Pro with a slight delay - that's why I can tell it - when I'm just back in my line), for sure less than driving uphill with lots of corners I can ensure you! :p

701 - 715 of 715 Posts