MG-Rover.org Forums banner
761 - 780 of 823 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts

I'll do it for the relief of my mind but I'm not at all convinced...
But who can say that doing so it has proved to be correct if one didn't try to do otherwise...and maybe for a similar result?... :unsure:
I'm a silly big boy but I can't help myself teasing you... Sorry buddie it's very naughty of me... :censored:
I have been using K+N filters ever since I met their European sales manager at Le-Mans in 1982, thanks to my contact with him over a meal and wine in the Harlequin in Arnage. I have to confess to cleaning the Air Filters in the solvent parts cleaner then blowing them through with compressed air before oiling them with filter oil. I use the same oil as I would treat foam motorcycle filters or the piper foam air filters, I only use Genuine K+N products when I receive a gift of them If I am at Le-Mans. sadly due to my health these days I don't get over for the endurance race anymore and I miss the contacts and friends I have made over the years at these events. sadly I have never raced on the circuit but I have Crewed for three different race teams over the years I have marshaled both for the ACO and the FIA and ran Hospitality for 400 guests and two race teams at different times in my life. This is a part of my life I miss but old age and poor health mean these chapters of my life are now in the past. Though I always happy when I get an email from one of the many friends I made over these years, I have to confess to never having bought a K+N filter for any of my cars for over 40 years, they Just seem to arrive on the doorstep with a letter talking about the good old days, after I have mentioned that I have bought a different Car. Happy motoring and clean breathing.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
Thank you for your passionate testimony about Le Mans and your moving memory of a past era.
Your experience is meeting Roverlike's. So thanks for that and lucky you are to be freely provided with K&N filter & kit! (y)

I'm puzzled though to see that the cone fitted to my 25 looks very similar in texture and effect as the K&N one even with a different shape and doesn't need any oiling at all to work fine since 4 years: no never the tiniest particle disturbed the injection at any moment. :unsure:o_O

Anyway even still not at all convinced I'm not that fool and don't want to do a mess under the bonnet even unlikely I think it would be: as soon as I receive both my kits, I'll use both cleaner and oil on my 75 panel filter according to the notice and that will do. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #763 ·
Yesterday I've got both my K&N cleaning & oiling kits. Done the same day on the 75.
The panel is as reddish as on the first day and even I was generous I couldn't fully empty the two cans.
I assume now that after two successive cleanings (one without & one with the recommended kit) my K&N filter will be failure proof... :giggle:

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
I am probably wrong, but from memory the K&N refurbish kits I have had in the past, granted they came through the European Sales Manager. These kits were designed to clean and oil more than one filter. they were meant to do either two or three filters.
After all that work the cars should be up on performance, Nice clean Air with a hint of oil vapor should aid the combustion process. I have often wondered if anybody ever made a claim on their million mile warranty. Well done to filters in one day. It must have been a good day, Sadly these days are a thing of the past for me now. The youngsters wont understand.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #765 ·
Nothing is given in the short multilingual notice about the number of filters to be cleaned and oiled with the kits I've purchased. Hence I assumed it was for one filter only for they insisted that the filter should be soaked and perfectly red like when new.
Despite that I couldn't spray more because I wasn't able to see any difference in the end and I dislike wasting stuff.
I agree K&N filters are reliable and very well famed, that's why I didn't hesitate in my choice!
So all is well that ends well.

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
I will have a look in the dim dark scary place where the midget used to sit. there is a two drawer filing cabinet in there which has reams of bumf from Bradford motors through to Rover 75s dealer junk and all these folded bits of paper that come in a box of stuff that we all through away.
Woops she who must be obeyed is correct I am a hoarder. But in my defense you never know when it may come in useful.
There will be the fly sheet for the K&N treatment box which will give the amount of cleaner and oil that is required to clean each filter. Well it should have the number of fluid ounces in each bottle and the number of filters that will treat.
The boss is going out with her palls for lunch today, I will have a fight with all the stuff and clear a path to the filing cabinet. May is the month of Birthdays in our family, there are no less than 19 across the extended family and friends so at the moment the garage is full of boxes to come out in order and get wrapped then delivered. some time I must work out what is 40 weeks before this madness.
Once I have the information I shall post what it says, If I cant find it I will give the boys a shout and await the mental replies that will no doubt come back.
Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Great month then and lot of fun and gatherings! However take care...
Regarding the quantities in the kits I've bought, the cleaner spray contains 355ml and the oil spray 204ml: very precise as it looks! I think it's generous enough for one single filter isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
One think that is puzzling me: the coolant temperature when hot while cruising.
Figures coming directly from ECU via Torque, I assume they should be accurate.
One more thing before spilling the beans: one must have in mind that an engine fuelled by full E85 gives a lower temperature coolant.

But when both my K4 (214i cab & 25) give around 87°C, my KV6 turns around 80°C.
It can unlikely be my air box mod: every air box is drilled with additional holes at the bottom.

But two sensible causes are remaining:
1 - in the 75 the whole MIJ SS exhaust line (from exhaust manifold to twin tails) is a derestricted one, hence I assume that the heat may be expelled faster with the exhaust gas.
2 - just after my purchase, my good mechanic told me that the original (?) radiator had seen better days (I don't remember exactly why, probably some very tiny leaking, he is very fussy with every details!) then I swapped for a compatible new one coming from Oscaro (good French provider for pieces mainly made in Europe, very few Chinese crap). But when fitting it he told me that it was a little tricky because the radiator was a little thicker than the previous one, and there wasn't much room for his fingers! But as usual he succeeded indeed. So he told me it may be beneficial for cooling the engine.

Which do you put your bets on? or both? Unless you may find another explanation...
Thanks.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,748 Posts
...Which do you put your bets on? or both? Unless you may find another explanation...
Thanks.
better radiator, more efficient cooling system, different engine design, temp sensor tolerance... loads of possibilities

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 ·
Yep you're right: lots of differences... but all acting in the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 · (Edited)
Another story.
Here is the beginning of another puzzling question:

Owner's handbook p. 120 (1999) & p. 112 (2003):
Use of 'sport' mode on automatic gearbox vehicles is not recommended when cruise control is selected.
Why? For what technical reason? What might be the issue? o_O
I've used both at the same time on several occasions in the past without the slightest drawback!
So what?

And here is my personal yesterday test, if it's true that If you want something done, do it yourself.

So yesterday going to my daughter's I've had another try in sport mode on the whole 50km (31 mls) journey which I hadn't used for a long while.
As everyone knows even you'd ask for cruise control, it can be activated only on request (set or resume) and de-activated when breaking or pushing on resuming. Hence I'm using the CC only on suitable portions of the journey, and not all of it like sport mode yesterday.

First of all - as you told - when pushing on 'RES' the reaction is impressive, immediate and even - if I may say so - a bit harsher than in eco mode.

But when reaching the wished speed - in my case 80km/h (50 mls) which is now the limit allowed on a large majority of roads and consequently a tad less than 2k revs - I swear that I'm back in top gear without the slightest difficulty.

Checking Torque Pro statistics on the whole journey (including the way back) it's obvious as expected that higher revs are used over 3k. With an auto box in eco mode and on 50 mls limited roads it looks nearly impossible to go faster than 3k revs but when doing a kick down.
Mind that among lots of short sections between 3k and 3.6k revs, I even went from 2350 revs at 81 km/h (50 mls) to 6410 revs at 103 km/h (64 mls) in 2 or 3 seconds! :eek: But do notice it was on a bypass limited at 110 km/h (68.35 mls)! EDIT: as an afterthought I'm not that sure I was driving on a 110km/h limited section, I've just seen the GPS position... 🙃

EDIT: in the table above consumption figures are wrong. Torque Pro can't adapt itself easily to E85.

In the end I had a fuel-up: on 128.62 mls (207 km) I fiiled 24.60 litres which gives 23.77 mpg (11.88 l/100km) which looks rather good for a V6 2.5 because with full E85 you need around 20% (TBH between 20 and 25% according car, temperature, speed and lots of parameters) more fuel. Hence it's at least the equivalent of around 28.5 mpg (9.9 l/100km) with 95E10, maybe a tad better. But my V6 2.5 is a special one with a few mods (derestricted air box, full derestricted SS exhaust line and a few other ones).

In the end TBH I don't actually need sport mode AND cruise control: CC is enough with some kicks down when needed.

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
I am probably wrong, but from memory the K&N refurbish kits I have had in the past, granted they came through the European Sales Manager. These kits were designed to clean and oil more than one filter. they were meant to do either two or three filters.
After all that work the cars should be up on performance, Nice clean Air with a hint of oil vapor should aid the combustion process. I have often wondered if anybody ever made a claim on their million mile warranty. Well done to filters in one day. It must have been a good day, Sadly these days are a thing of the past for me now. The youngsters wont understand.
I have been through the two drawer filing cabinet and have found a enclosure from a K+N box the date on the page is 1988 and the box contained to 16oz bottles one of cleaner and one of oil. The sheet is suggesting that for most filter applications there is sufficient in the bottles to clean and oil two filters.
I have a enclosure from 2008 it does not state the size of the bottles that are contained within the kit. this leaflet stated that you should use all the product whilst cleaning and oiling the filter.
So I am none the wiser.
The Spice Tourer has been running on paper filters since I became her custodian in October 2019, mainly just to use up the boxes on the shelf as it was getting silly, I must have got a deal or something as there were five on the shelf when I bought the car.
I found the K+N filter for the M47R engine but it was one I had removed from a previous 75 so my task this morning is to take it out its plastic bag as it is looking a sorry gray colour. I will give it a good clean in the parts cleaner. Then blow it dry with compressed air before running oil into all the pleats until the filter is that lovely red colour it is when it comes out the box new, I will then bag it and put it on the shelf for the next service for the tourer. its next six monthly service is due in the middle of July Oil and the oil and crankcase filter.
Having just read the service booklet for the car. Rover are recommending that the paper element Air filter should be changed every 15,000 miles or every year. where K+N recomend the filter be cleaned and re-oiled every 30,000 miles or 50,000Km. That makes it much cheaper to service the K+N filter than change the paper eminent. If we have a warm day over the weekend I will give the spice an oil and filter change. I will also put her summer tyres back on her. then give her winter wheels a good clean before before putting them in their bags till next October/November. Haven't decided whither to run her on the horse shoe 17" ones to rub some of the rubber of the good tyres this summer as all four of these boots have 7mm+ of tread on them. Or whither to put the 16" wheels with the brand new tyres that I got for her as they were what she came out the factory with. The Wife's Saloon should also get her 18" MG wheels back on her for the summer as like the spice she is running 15" Crown alloys, with 65% profile Firestone Winterhawk 3 M+S on them. the wet grip of these tyres beggars belief, how can a tyre shift up to 720 liters of water per second?
Keep up the good work everybody, I don't think I could live in a world where there were no 75s. I am just hoping that when they go all electric in 2030 that they don't try to tax us off the road. I must read the small print on the original act that meant a car over 25 years of age was tax exempt. Then go through all amendments to that act, over the years after it was written.
Happy motoring everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
Regarding K&N kit it looks there may be some discrepancy between your 1988 notice (2 bottles of 16 oz each for 2 filters if I've well understood - 16 oz giving 454 ml) and my kit: cleaner 355 ml and oil spray 204 ml but for how many filters?
For the oil spray it may be the equivalent at a push (454 ml for 2 filters gives 227 ml for one) given that all panels aren't of the same size. But for the cleaner... Anyway I think the best judge should be our eyes: at a close exam it's easy to know whether a filter is definitely clean or not, and easy as well to know whether the brick red colour is got or not.
Regarding the periodicity i cleaned and oiled again my 75 K&N panel after nearly 4 years and 30k km (20k mls) which is more than cautious. That may explain my fine performances on the Ascension day (my previous post).

As I can see you've got a large panel or tyres: 15, 16, 17 and even 18"!
Don't you notice any difference in comfort & handling, do you?
Regarding all my Rovers, I'm sticking to my 15" alloys. I'm feeling much more comfortable with that size and besides I dislike those large alloys that everybody thinks lovely... Now every modern cars is like a transformer toy with tractor wheels and a hot dog mouth! That's awful.
Back to my tyres to keep a good handling and secure the tyres themselves (as we all know that under inflated tyres are dangerous) I'm sticking to 2.5 kg pressure (35.5 psi) in order to get the best of both worlds. It works fine with the 75 V6 and the 25, but for the 214 cabby my experience told me it's better to keep around 2.1 kg (30 psi) to avoid too much vibrations, creaks and the like and some chassis deformation which is less rigid.
At last here in South West of France it doesn't look mandatory to swap tyres from summer to winter. Nevertheless I've got 4 spare alloys (the old ones which were sold with the club version) and I'm to get at my younger son's 4 more five-spoke ones compatible with the 25 & the 214 just in case. Maybe I'll have a try in the future to swap with winter tyres for the wet season. But I'm still hesitating because both my 75 & 214 cabby aren't doing so many miles a year: in 2020 4k km (2.5k mls) for the 75! And 3k km (less than 2k mls) for the cabby! And 5k (3.1k mls) km for the 25 my wife's daily... Getting 2 sets of tyres may look a bit rich because they may become very old when time is come to change them and everybody knows that tyres may hardly last as good as possible up to 10 years given they were never fabricated the week before the day you bought them.

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,748 Posts
Keep up the good work everybody, I don't think I could live in a world where there were no 75s. I am just hoping that when they go all electric in 2030 that they don't try to tax us off the road. I must read the small print on the original act that meant a car over 25 years of age was tax exempt. Then go through all amendments to that act, over the years after it was written.
Happy motoring everyone.
Well, come September, my MG-R's aren't going to be allowed into the city centre without paying a £9 charge! 😢 Maybe someone will retrofit an electric powertrain to a 75 or ZT as the body seems robust. Nice project if someone has the time...

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #775 ·
Well, come September, my MG-R's aren't going to be allowed into the city centre without paying a £9 charge! 😢 Maybe someone will retrofit an electric powertrain to a 75 or ZT as the body seems robust. Nice project if someone has the time...
I admit that £9 is steep! But here in France in that kind of urban zones the so called polluting cars are strictly banned but the vintage cars over 30 year old.
But I don't care : never I am going into town centres because I'm not bound to. I dislike noise, pollution and jammed traffic. I know indeed it's a luxury to be retired. 😉

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
My preferred wheel size is 15” with a 195mm wide tyre. Summer tyres I inflate to 40 psi on the front 38 psi on the rear. If I have the caravan on the back the rear pressures are up at 42 psi.
In the winter I run full M+S old style block tread 15” tyres at 36 psi.
The tyre choice is my personal preference as the bigger the sidewall the more comfortable the ride. The pressures are preference with consideration for the construction and temperature range of the tyre.
A strange point I raised with my caravan supplier was the choice of tyres fitted to the van. When we bought the van, I read through the information book, log book, guide for dummies. The book states that the van should have its tyres inflated to 65 psi. It wares 110% profile 16” tyres rated at 695kg maximum pressure 60 psi.
The maximum gross weight of the van is 1540kg. Oh yes it is a single axel. My tow bar is designed for a maximum nose weight of 100kg. Now I am really puzzled by these figures.
To answer everyone’s question, I just keep the weight down in the van, load the van with a nose weight of 70kg and run the tyres at 56 psi. Keeping my maximum speed down to 50 mph.
The Caravan supplier answer was the figures moulded into the tyre were for reference only and that the manufacturer would never market a van that was not safe.
Has anybody else found their caravan tyres are working at an overloaded level and exceed the tyres maximum inflation pressure.
Don’t get me wrong I know these things have a safety margin in them to allow for ageing. But surely the safety test margin should not be being used as a matter of course.
I have not contacted the caravan maker but have been on sites where I have noted that more than 50% of the single axel vans exceed the tyres maximum capacity. Whilst many of the double axel vans tyres are recommended to be inflated to a higher pressure than the design specification of the tyre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 · (Edited)
I understand that pulling a caravan does make a change. In that case I've got no knowledge on the matter.
Back to the figures we were advised by Rover to inflate between 2.1 (30 psi) and 2.3 (33 psi) on the front according to the type of vehicle (saloon, tourer, ZT) and between 1.9 (28 psi) and 2.3 (33 psi) on the rear.
Hence I think that 2.5 (35.5 psi) front & rear I'm safe, but TBH it's a saloon, and neither a ZT nor a tourer. It's enough for my use and is rather efficient in preserving tyre sides in corners, enough to guarantee a comfortable ride and a good handling, and that gives a slightly better mpg. I'm confident.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #778 ·
Back to my last Thursday test, I must add that never ever before I had tested kick down AND sport mode!
I'm still amazed by the result: the car started like a bullet and never ever before I had overtaken so fast! For me it's mind-blowing: it was impressive. And I'm pretty sure that 2 elements have played their part: E85 and mainly the additional holes I've drilled in the bottom of the air box (and don't forget the full SS derestrictive exhaust line). I had immediately noticed the enhancement, the engine answer being far quicker after the airbox mod. Now it's absolutely immediate and the rising in turns is massive. I'm chuffed! :giggle: But I should be cautious on our next journey next Tuesday: radars are spying everywhere... :eek::mad:

·
Registered
rover_600
173 Posts
Have a closer look: "Actual burr walnut" I told.
After 2000 due to the restrictions it was only copy of genuine one.
My future 75 V6 2.5 Connie SE was built (*) in the beginning of the year 2000, a few weeks between the desertion of BMW.
Hence Mk1 of course. 😉
EDIT: (*) in Cowley, Oxfordshire, not in Longbridge.
I am reasonably sure I have a good condition burr walnut dash wrapped up in cardboard, yes a wooden one not a plastic one. it should be in the garage somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 ·
According to my VIN my 75 went off Cowley lines on the 1st of July 1999 9h04:
This vehicle was the 7,517th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,190th 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary to be made out of 8,214
This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s.
That gives evidence my dash is made of genuine burr walnut indeed.

Back to last Thursday.
I was wondering in which gear I may have been when overtaking at 101.4 km/h (63 mls - actual GPS speed) and 6410 revs.
Here is the answer (sorry, the page is in French but figures are hopefully international!):

So the answer is: 2nd gear!
But as my gearbox is automatic and then managed directly by the system, I assume that the engine will never be allowed to trespass the 6,750 revs limit exactly as it happened last Thursday: 6,410 revs.
After all provided it should not last too long, it's not damageable to the engine to go up in the revs from time to time. Apart at that moment, it didn't go up over 3,700 revs, which is pretty decent and secure.
Last remark: it's good as well to be able to notice that both VIS motors are working so fine!

761 - 780 of 823 Posts