MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
261 Posts
great stuff as just brought a CDT 2.0 last Sunday,,,I know it has the BMW engine but is that the L series engine?????
Hi.

The Diesel engined versions of the Rover 75 and MGZT used the BMW M47 Diesel Engine, with either 116 BHP or 131BHP output. The earlier cars were rated at 116BHP with the 131BHP rating coming in around late 2003 or thereby. There were no mechanical difference between the two version, just a re-map of the engine management system. 116BHP engines can be uprated if required.

Hope this clears up some miss understandings.

Regards
Telfer.

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
8 Posts
torque setting

i have a mg zr 2.0 td, just fitted new head gasket have tightened head down as per autodata instructions 30 nm - 65nm - + 90 deegree + 90 degree but was wondering if any one new the actuall final torque setting of the head bolts as when finished. if that makes sense. as i did not have a angular gauge when doing the job.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Just to add to this - I now supply the full L series cambelt kit at a large discount to what you'd usually pay - most boxed kits are £140 upwards.

For £69.99 I can supply the 112 tooth belt (28mm width) and both the tensioner and idler.

See here for more information: L series cambelt kits

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just to add to this - I now supply the full L series cambelt kit at a large discount to what you'd usually pay - most boxed kits are £140 upwards.

For £69.99 I can supply the 112 tooth belt (28mm width) and both the tensioner and idler.

See here for more information: L series cambelt kits
My 45 (W Reg) Diesel fuel injection pump just gone u/s.

Do you do these as well?

I'm finding it difficult to find one & at some prices qouted on ebay, might have to scrap the car!

·
Registered
mg_zr
2 Posts
Hi I have the 2.0 Mg ZR, it seems to be overheating and losing slight water through the header tank?
I have had the head gasket changed so i have no idea what is wrong can anyone give me some ideas?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey guys..

I got a streetwise diesel.
It smokes pretty bad, after reading this you say it's likely to be the turbo? It's on 140k so not low mileage.

Also it seems flat, I turned up waste gate 2 turns, but still seems under powered, then I blanked off EGR, but still not gain. Noticed it won't rev past 3.5-4k so maybe my MAF is faulty to.

What you suggest???

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hey guys..

I got a streetwise diesel.
It smokes pretty bad, after reading this you say it's likely to be the turbo? It's on 140k so not low mileage.

Also it seems flat, I turned up waste gate 2 turns, but still seems under powered, then I blanked off EGR, but still not gain. Noticed it won't rev past 3.5-4k so maybe my MAF is faulty to.

What you suggest???
Sounds like a split hose to me too - check them both carefully.

Also possible MAF issue, also check the wiring to injector 1 (cambelt side) for breaks

·
Registered
rover_sd1
399 Posts
Bleeding cooling system

They do take a while to warm up - 4-5 miles is a good time, trust me. There is no coolent bleed screw as such. To drop the lot, undo bottom rad hose - to drain just a little, undo the header tank return with engine running and coolent cold. The level in the tank will drop, top it up with neat antifreeze; thats what I've done on my Rover Dervs with good results.

Leave the lid off the tank and squeeze top and lower hoses. This helps push out the air bubbles. Then do the same with the engine running. Obviously not when the pipes are hot.

·
Registered
rover_25
4 Posts
Thank you

As a recent owner of a Y reg Rover 25 2.0 diesel. It was smoking a lot and had a lot of difficulty getting to any reasonable speed. I started through the list after changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and brakes. I found a 3 inch split in the boost pipe from the bottom of the inter cooler to the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
mg_zr
3 Posts
L series belt

Hi I hope you can help I have a 2000 reg L series diesel with a ripped drive belt. My question is the power steering pump appears to be on the end of the alternator but what is the pulley directly under the alternator because its very stiff on mine and might have caused the belt to rip.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Pump on the end of the alternator is the vacuum pump (for the brakes).

Other pulleys are aircon (if you have it), and PAS. The PAS pump also has the water pump mounted on the back of it.

Shredded drive belts can often cause cam belt to snap so fix it don't ignore it!
The cause of the shredding is often a failed tensioner (The bearings inside can fail - but can be replaced without replacing the whole tensioner which is quite expensive).

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi

Good call on it being a good idea changing the air filter sooner than 20,000 miles, I always think that the air and fuel filter intervals are the wrong way round, on mine I dissected a fuel filter that had been in use for 1 year, and it was spotless, I leave it for 2 now.

Could you also add something about MAF sensors? something like... if the car (newer models, 25/45/ZR/ZS) lacks power below at low revs then suddenly comes alive around 2500rpm , a new MAF sensor, cleaning it, and/or MAFAM could be the cure, C/O Rover Ron. If the car hits a brick wall at around 3500rpm and won't rev any further, the MAF is totally gone, disconnected, or the wiring or connection to it is suspect. A car with a healthy MAF should pick up in power cleanly at around 1750rpm.

Another one.... could you mention that if the fuel pump timing is out, then the car can take a long time to start on a cold engine, 30-60 seconds not uncommon, and will then start fine all day long until the car completely cools down. Often caused by not using the right tools during a fuel belt/cambelt change. Maybe you could add this in the glowplugs section?

Hello I have the same problem what should I do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Rover 25 2.0 diesel suddenly following lacks power in low revs then suddenly comes alive around 2500rpm and white smoke issues.

·
Registered
rover_200_95_99
7 Posts
Thanks for that guide, there's a lot of info in it (most of which I'd never have thought of by myself)

The earlier engines have a 7 Year / 84,000 mile interval.
The later engines have a 4 Year / 48,000 mile interval.
How do you tell if your engine is an early or a late one? My car is a Rover 220 SDi from 1999 if that helps.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts