MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
tractors!!!

hi there first time post even though i have been an avid reader for some time. I had a 420 rover p reg for 6 years before she went to the scrappy in the sky and bought a 51 plate 45 diesel - i then found out it had the infamous tractor syndrome, this guide has been brilliant thanks, my rover up and runnning again.

just for the record i researched the pump and have fitted a mk6 transit one - they do work!

thanks again!!

·
Registered
rover_25
20 Posts
hi all! i have the same simptoms - tractor syndrome which occured spontaneously. however there are some signs that the engine is trying to work normaly from time to time. is it possible that the solenoid is not totally dead but needs some cleaning or its just the way it dies?

·
Registered
673 Posts
hi all! i have the same simptoms - tractor syndrome which occured spontaneously. however there are some signs that the engine is trying to work normaly from time to time. is it possible that the solenoid is not totally dead but needs some cleaning or its just the way it dies?

can't clean it nothing to clean just replace it

·
Registered
rover_45
478 Posts
I have a faulty pump which was replaced on my 45 a year or so back. The fault was on the ECU on the top, but I had the whole pump replaced. The car was running perfectly before the pump failed completely, so I would guess the solenoids are ok. I've had this faulty pump hanging around for a little while - not really sure why - and was now thinking of slinging it away. The question is, is it worth removing the solenoids and keeping them for spares?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a faulty pump which was replaced on my 45 a year or so back. The fault was on the ECU on the top, but I had the whole pump replaced. The car was running perfectly before the pump failed completely, so I would guess the solenoids are ok. I've had this faulty pump hanging around for a little while - not really sure why - and was now thinking of slinging it away. The question is, is it worth removing the solenoids and keeping them for spares?
main problem is how has the pump been kept are all the pipes sealed pump full of diesel kept in a sealed bag

if not it may have rusted internally being left open to the air

also the solenoids can rust into the pump mine did had to remove the pump to fit mine
alloy pump steel solenoid corrodes

·
Registered
rover_45
478 Posts
main problem is how has the pump been kept are all the pipes sealed pump full of diesel kept in a sealed bag

if not it may have rusted internally being left open to the air

also the solenoids can rust into the pump mine did had to remove the pump to fit mine
alloy pump steel solenoid corrodes
It's just been sitting on a bench, perfectly dry but open to the air, so it doesn't sound too good I suppose!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The thought of possibly having to do this really really puts me off getting a later L series. I don't mind a bit of spanner work but fiddly little things like this I cannot stand.

·
Registered
rover_25
20 Posts
Hi guis! Thanks for the very helpfull info! One more question though.. a diesel service that I discussed my problem with (but am not gonna give them my car as they are rippers) said that in 90% of the cases when the timing solenoid fails on these pums it goes together with exceessive wear on the casing of the pump, where the solenoid plunger works, so change of the solenoid without the casing may not cure the prob, or the new one wont last as much! for sure this is not an option, as this will meen except from the price of the new casing a total rebuild and re-timing of the pump on bosch test rig, which will cost more then the car itself.. have you got any experience or info about this possibility? I've found the part fm the local bosch dealer and with a "friendly" discount will get it for abt 85 quid ...in a week, as it'll be ordered fm Germany (.. what a special part?!)

p.s. if I could get my hands on mr. bosch would ripp his throat off

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Have changed loads now, and haven't had any problems with "damaged casings" . As long as you got the right part number then happy days.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Have changed loads now, and haven't had any problems with "damaged casings" . As long as you got the right part number then happy days.
not sure what part no you have Mad this is off the Bosch package off my spare one
1 Salt/set
2 467 010 018 -001

bar code

·
Registered
rover_25
20 Posts
many thanks mates! tmorrow will order the solenoid and hopefully report the results in a week or so. the bosch distributor said that the part nr. 2467010027 is available in Germany as i mentioned, however just to be sure will retrieve it fm the "bocsh number" of the pump, which i think is 0470004005.... once again, 10X for the helpfull info and support!!!

first I was advised to get a used spare pump. however, there is quite a market for them as they seem to fail ALOT and are mounted on a variety of vehicles...even on a John Deer tractor.. and is dificult to find one in "reasonable" condition and again who knows how "reasonable" it is..the prices (here in Bulgaria) varry from 150 pounds at the scrapyard to X00 for a "reconditioned" one. so its wise enough to keep my perfectly working (till recently), not leaking pump and just take the chance and change the solenoid. after all my 25 may be a bit rusty but its got only 180000km on the clock, and with SDI inj., decat, cone filter, and 20psi it still makes me happy every time i step on it! :)

·
Registered
rover_25
20 Posts
Hi again! ...been readin A LOT lately, expecting my solenoid to come fm Germany - tomorrow hopefully. So, the miths with the worn casing and advance piston (the part that the solenoid actually moves) are comming from the close relative of our pump - the VP44. Its very very common on VAG group and OPEL/VAUXHALL and most of diesel services have experience with them. So on these pumps the solenoid failure is not so common, but on most of them the piston edges get scrubbed from impurities in the fuel (its made of some kind of aluminum alloy with teflon coating) and eventually blocks against the casing of the pump. I gues the main difference between the two pumps (our pump is radial and VP44 is axial) is what saves us from this horrific scenario... Also, if its helpfull to somebody, the resitence of a working advance solenoid should be approx. 10ohms... haven't checked mine yet, but will do before buying the new one.

·
Registered
rover_45
7 Posts
excellent you make it look so easy , can you give me adress and phone number of supplier of timing solenoid as my 45 td has tractor syndrome many thanks

·
Registered
rover_45
7 Posts
Cheers, like i said if anyone wants one or wants one fitted, let me know.
excellent write up ,desperate to get a timing solenoid as mine is u/s and have got tractor syndrome, car is rover 45 td could you please let me know where i can get one many thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I have the symptoms of this, had the car in the garage just under 2 weeks ago, only codes was for my MAF, he replaced that, and fixed 2 boost leaks on pipes that wasn't done up properly,

Car felt better, but now it seems its getting louder and louder, would I need to get the car fault coded to show what's wrong with it again ?

Wife doesn't seem to think theres anything wrong, but to me its deffo getting louder, coolant is on minimum level, and pretty sure its been there since I have had the car, but not 100%

if I do need to get the car into a garage can anyone recommend a decent garage in the north-east, as all the ones I have used seem to have trouble with MG fault code finding..

I have no warning lights on my dash either..

·
Registered
3 Posts
good day
I have the same errors and the P1222 P0216.
but the car is not making all that noise.
the car is without power!
've seen the MAF and this good what can it be?

61 - 80 of 89 Posts