MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been on the look out for one of the roof/rear window spoilers to suit the Tomcat,

finally last night, I got hold of one, a real bargain too....!!

it has a few surface cracks to drill out & repair/sand-smooth, also the washer jet hole needs cutting out too, then as the roof on our Tomcat is covered in `3D carbon effect in black', the spoiler will be wrapped in the same, with the edges being painted in satin black for best results,

then it will be just a case of bonding it too the rear screen with `tiger seal' which my friend owning a body shop will no doubt help with,

NB - I will put some pics up on the completion of the job..... tbc

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thie spoiler is now fitted, which was straight forward,

first we cleaned the rear glass window at the top, with panel wipe, then offering up the spoiler to mark the final fitting position & using masking tape, which was stuck on the bottom edge corners as a guide, also in the same way we marked out the area where the spoiler actually mounts into position, this made an edge to rub a scotch pad too, making a good bonding key & also on the back of the fibre glass spoilers mounting edge as well, the glass was then warmed up next, using a heat gun & being carfull not to distort the glass edge black mouldings, finally a bead of Tiger seal was run around the mounting areas, on both the spoiler & the glass this ensured a good even mounting/bonding layer, for lasting strength, the spoiler was then held down overnight with wide masking tape & the spoiler was propped into position with a block of wood between the glass & its lower edge to stop it moving during the drying process!! (any excess sealer that came out on pressing the spoiler down onto the glass was cleaned off with white spirit & a cloth),

the next day on removing the holding tape, we ran a bead of tiger seal around the edge of the spoiler/glass edge moulding, to give a good finished look & also to stop any water getting under the spoiler & degrading the bonding sealer,

NB the finished look is good, really Rover should have fitted this type of spoiler as standard, as it really suits the Tomcat's body shape....

final pics...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts