MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this the right place to post but took this pic at Top Gear live at the NEC a few nice cars on display. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351370397.088214.jpg

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
When i went last year they had an MG stand, was stood speaking to the designer of the TF and he gave me a free MG 6turbo hat prior to it being released

I was like a kid in a sweet store lol

S

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
MG were running two mini r/c car type events, there was a blue magnette and a BTCC Edition on display as well. My dad was VERY interested in the magnette and has been browsing Auto Trader since!

·
Registered
mg_zs
70 Posts
top gear live

Just got back from top gear live got to say the worst one i have attended total rip off i had a platinum ticket .one hall only no classic cars the live arena was boaring hardly any stunts got to say deffo not value for money .

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Just got back from top gear live got to say the worst one i have attended total rip off i had a platinum ticket .one hall only no classic cars the live arena was boaring hardly any stunts got to say deffo not value for money .
Cant say I agree totally. I must admit I was surprised that the exhibiton was only one hall, I haven't been to a Top Gear event before, but I do go to Autosport/Pistonheads every year and that is massive in comparison. The only major downside to having just the one hall I found was that it wasnt easy to walk around freely or take photos, mainly down to the volume of people, but partly down to people's lack of consideration for others as well. I did get Rob Austin and Gordon Shedden's signitures though which was cool and only waited a minute or so.

IIRC though this is the first year that the event has been branded solely as TG Live, and not the MPH VPower TG Live it has been in the past. Dont know if that means anything though.

We had Gold passes and the only thing that annoyed us was queing to get in, and then queing again to get the lanyards, guides, and books included with the pass. Ideally these could have been dispatched with the tickets. People who paid on the door got in and got their guides far quicker than the people who paid far more and in advance. Also the platinum holders didnt appear to get much more for their money than what we got.

Personally, I enjoyed the live show, but as far as I'm aware every show is different. The Star in the car was a bit boring, some olympic swimmer cant remember his name. Apparently the show after ours was Johnny Vegas.

As I say it's the first TG thing Ive been to so cant compare to previous events. I found it enjoyable but perhaps as far as the exhibition was concerned perhaps Autosport is better value for money. The way we saw it was that the exhibition was just something to keep the punters occupied while they waited for their alloted live show, which for us was easily over 3 hours long

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
8,748 Posts
The classic car clubs have abandoned it now as they started charging us to be there. Not insignificant amounts of money either. Few clubs can afford it plus the hassle of getting a stand in place and then having enough people to man it for the whole event just make it more trouble than it's worth. Generally, the people who visit Top Gear Live are unlikely to become members of a classic car club so there is little in it for us.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
3,848 Posts
I went last year and there was two separate live shows, one Top Gear with the presenters and stunt show and the other was an indoor race track presented by Tiff Nedell and Sabine Shmitz (sp) with all kinds of head to head races and drifting. On top of that was the Top Gear exibition hall, free entry to classic car show and pit entry.

Was this not the case this year? If so I'm glad I didn't pay to go again.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I went last year and there was two separate live shows, one Top Gear with the presenters and stunt show and the other was an indoor race track presented by Tiff Nedell and Sabine Shmitz (sp) with all kinds of head to head races and drifting. On top of that was the Top Gear exibition hall, free entry to classic car show and pit entry.

Was this not the case this year? If so I'm glad I didn't pay to go again.
Show was the same format. An hour or so of track stuff with Tiff and VBH, then 2 and a half hours or so of the TG Guys. No classic car show, and I don't know about pit entry, I certainly didn't, don't know whether platinum holders did.

·
Registered
839 Posts
ive been to the last 5 years of it but didnt go this year as seamed a rip off to years before im masive top gear fan but they couldnt see the need to go this year and by what im seeing im glad i didnt what in alot ways is sad as all others have been great shows i enjoyed the classic car show part as much as top gear the years before

1 - 13 of 13 Posts