MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping around for insurance for the new 3, I've encountered quite a few (big!) insurance companies that won't cover it as they don't know what it is!

Is this something MG could/should be doing something about? Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Shopping around for insurance for the new 3, I've encountered quite a few (big!) insurance companies that won't cover it as they don't know what it is!

Is this something MG could/should be doing something about? Has anyone else had the same problem?
Chris I had the same problem when I first got my MG6. Tell the brokers that the manufacturer is MG Motors not MG. That should sort it out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As above they do know it, its just that its under MG motor UK not MG. I have had no problems apart from when I first insured mine as it was one of the first, so they only had the MG6 on their system but a quick call to the underwriters sorted it. Its on the comparison sites no problem too. Hope that helps.

It should come up automatically from the Registration if you know it though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I have already been doing that but there are still a couple of big insurance companies that have said either "We don't cover that manufacturer" (the new MG) or "We don't cover niche models".

Interestingly on thier websites the reg comes up as "not found".

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks, I have already been doing that but there are still a couple of big insurance companies that have said either "We don't cover that manufacturer" (the new MG) or "We don't cover niche models".

Interesting, care to share?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

Another nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Another nail in the coffin.
Lol we don't know who these insurance companies are and I haven't heard anyone else bring this up in the 2 years the 3 has been out. I have had insurance with Direct Line and Admiral in this time and also been quoted from Aviva, LV, Peter best plus all the ones on the meerkat and supermarket sites.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swiftcover won't cover any new MG, AXA said about the MG3 specifically being excluded (was on the phone so didn't check other new MG's)

Allianz refused cover over the phone, they said it was because the model wasn't covered but someone on facebook seems to have had cover for a 3 with them so not sure about that?

I'm not worried to be honest as Chris Knott has come in way under all of the quotes I've gotten for both our daily cars (3 and ZT 190) so will be going with them, although I do wonder if you would have this problem with any other marque!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Swiftcover won't cover any new MG, AXA said about the MG3 specifically being excluded (was on the phone so didn't check other new MG's)

Allianz refused cover over the phone, they said it was because the model wasn't covered but someone on facebook seems to have had cover for a 3 with them so not sure about that?

I'm not worried to be honest as Chris Knott has come in way under all of the quotes I've gotten for both our daily cars (3 and ZT 190) so will be going with them, although I do wonder if you would have this problem with any other marque!
Swiftcover and Axa are the same company, so that's why both are not covering. I just went online for a quote on Allianz and got one (although expensive). So no real worries just one company who has decided against it, although it does seem odd.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swiftcover and Axa are the same company, so that's why both are not covering. I just went online for a quote on Allianz and got one (although expensive). So no real worries just one company who has decided against it, although it does seem odd.
I hadn't realised swiftcover and Axa were the same, I thought swiftcover was a churchill spin-off! That being the case you are right it is no real worry, just one misguided company :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Not had a problem with quotes on a 3 or 6. Go and do a quote on gocompare or any other insurance comparison site and it will list 50+ quotes for the new MG's. I just emailed Chris Knott Insurance, who do my other MG cars, and they got back straight away with a quote, £250 fully comp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to insure MG ZS right now and It doesn't list it on Admiral online car insurance. Aviva told us it didn't exist earlier.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi Ade,

Welcome to the forum.

I am surprised that you said that Aviva cannot find the car as I am currently insured with my ZS 1.5 litre with them.

I have also just tried to renew and they pick up the registration straight away:

Do you happen to own a ZS EV as I heard that some insurers won't cover the EV model?

Some people on the MG ZS EV Facebook group recommend LV= as their insurer.

Cheers..

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feel your pain, I have the same issue trying to Insure my Rover 25 in Canada. They keep quoting me on a Land Rover which is quite comical. It gets even funnier when i tell them its a right hand drive 🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts