MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MGR are currently trialing the high-performace TF (According to Autocar magazine). They are playing around with SuperCharged and Turbocharged verions to see which one works best. Apparently, they will help improve emmissions as well. The interior of the Ultimate is said to get a radical makeover, with low slung seats amongst other things. They have not confirmed whether the engine might be the force-induced 200bhp version used in the latest Caterham.
They seem to think that the TF in this form will be gunning for the TVRs - although I think it will take more than a 200bhp engine to do this convincingly!

Can anyone add to this?

[Edited by Steve on 08-05-2002 at 10:32 AM GMT]

[Edited by Steve on 08-05-2002 at 10:32 AM GMT]

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Supercharging is as far as I know the way they were going. I believe someone at MGR (Rob Oldaker?) said that it might not be a supercharged engine, but I still believe it will be.

Somewhere around 230bhp has been mentioned too. The list of modifications for the ´ultimate´ TF apparently is quite long!

btw, none of the caterham engines are forced induction, they just all use high-lift cams. (None VVC)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Re: Re: Ultimate TF

Dr Dave wrote:
Superchargers are old technology - turbos are the way to go :D :D
Yes but you get no lag with supercharges, or heat. I think the 230bhp engine used in the caterham will be used in the "ultimate" TF. MG should offer a "superlight" option that srips everything but the basics from the car for the ultimate track day car. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ultimate TF

jonesey2k wrote:
MG should offer a "superlight" option that srips everything but the basics from the car for the ultimate track day car. Opinions?
Completely agree - there seems to be increasing interest in Track days, so there would, I am sure, be a ready market for a fast road car that is as happy on the track as it is on the road. Which isn't to say that the MGF or MGTF are bad in this respect - they're both huge fun :D It's just they could do with being a little bit quicker! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
FI inducton is the way to go without a doubt. Top line bhp figures aren't the point either. if the FI TF is 180hp, it will be a v quick car, lots of torque all the way through the revs. unlike a TF with a 180 Normally Aspirated K Series, that would be nice and peaky.

As for supercharged or turbo, I have a supercharged car now, its awesome. But i want to play with it...and a turbo is easier to play with. easier and cheaper to up the boost and no need for lag..thats old hat modern turbo controls do away with it. If i had the choice i would go for a turbo.

As for a new performance TF for track days, a Forced induction car would be a lot of fun and suprise a lot of people. My supercharged MX5 doesn't.... its not that quick because it sideways all the time :D. but a TF with a turbo would be a very quick bit of kit. maybe even nearly as quick as an elise =P

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Well, after the rumours for the Ultimate TF starting off as a KV6 version, with that being ruled out for various reasons, it now appears that a KV6 version may be back on the cards!

Well, that's the current rumour anyway... been round the nurberbring a few times apparently....

·
Registered
8,428 Posts

Godalmighty83 wrote:
Id say superchargers will be that way to go.

A KV6 TF? - i like it.
I will say supercharging too. (look at the supercharged Elise, from TurboTechnic, and aint it a sweet engine?) Bring on the torque!

A KV6 TF sounds nice but why not have a enigne that is more compact and lighter that does the same job - both around 190bp, i think? (the supercharged K1.8 as in that lotus)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
A 2.5 litre KV6 powered TF would indeed be very very nice - if only for the wonderful 6-cylinder thrum :)

But, at least in the 75, the KV6 is lacking in some of the low-down torque that a supercharger would provide.

The TurboTechnics conversion is exceptionally nice (the charger wine sounds great too! ;) ) and would for me be a good option. Plenty of ways to eek more power from a supercharged engine if you look at the charge cooler capacity, as well as the head breathing... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Turbo Technics job ain't that brilliant, and has trouble aswell. But superchargers do indeed make a great noise :D as for tunability though a turbo will still beat it hands down because it us so much easier to up the boost (from somebody who seems to spend all their time fiddling with pulley's and belts trying to up the boost on a supercharger).

But lets not forget one big problem. Forced induction buts stress on an engine. The engine in question is the K Series. The K series hasn't exactly got a reputation for being the strongest engine in the world.

I would say that is the main reason for the constant delay in a quick F/TF.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts

mattlondon wrote:
The engine in question is the K Series. The K series hasn't exactly got a reputation for being the strongest engine in the world.
Yeah, but remember the K Series was never designed to be anything above a 1.4 engine!! Its already handling twice the power it was designed to.

hmm, a supercharged KV6, now that does sound good :D

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
mattlondon wrote:
But lets not forget one big problem. Forced induction buts stress on an engine. The engine in question is the K Series. The K series hasn't exactly got a reputation for being the strongest engine in the world.

I would say that is the main reason for the constant delay in a quick F/TF.
It should be a much of a problem if it is a LPT (Light Pressure Turbo).

BTW Steve, MG or X-Power had developed a 265hp KV6 2.5L in private. Think it is a twin turbo.

[Edited by andy on 09-07-2002 at 03:12 PM GMT]

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
I can't believe I missed this v.interesting thread

MG have been very quiet of late - they must have something up their sleeves :eyes now all we have gotta do is wait!

I think space will be a limiting factor in the TF [turbo-wise] as there isn't a great deal of room at the front of the engine in the proximity of the exhaust manifold. Any potential turbocharging would require the engine to be moved back to gain the required clearance, surely? The resultant heat would also be a problem aswell....we don't want any fires do we?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I agree with you Dave - a LPT is unlikely in the TF for the reasons you've mentioned. A 1000 degree turbo in close proximity to the fuel tank? Oo-er, no thanks! :eek:

A supercharger is a likely possibility given the packaging constraints on the TF. There were plenty of rumours a short while ago that such a conversion for the 1.8 K-series was being investigated as a "tax-buster" engine for the Z-cars in preference to the 6-cylinders with their higher CO2 rating. Seems that this engine may have been superceeded in preference to the LPT, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts