MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Is there any disbenefit to using a projector as a TV? Aside from having to buy a freeview box and some speakers? It just seems too good to be true, getting a 60 inch HD projection for one hell of alot less money than an equivilant HD TV, does anyone have a projector instead of a traditional TV? What is it like?

many thanks

Roo

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
As said look at the cost of replacement lamps and how many hours the lamp will last. Lamps can be bloody expensive for some projectors some are much more reasonable.

Unless you are willing to spend really good money on a decent DLP high end projector the colours will not be that good as you would get on a decent TV.

Projectors work best in dark light surroundings, during daylight they are not as effective by a long shot, I would be looking at least at a 5K ansi lumen DLP projector as a replacement for everyday TV. A new projector like that is going to cost at least £1800 off the top of my head then there is the lens cost on top as it would be a interchangeable lens model, lamps probably in the region of £250 etc etc.

You can do it on the cheap with a second hand projector but you will probably regret it unless you make a black out blind and live in darkness while using it in daylight hours.

Unless you spend really good money again the fast action stuff on projectors will be no where near as good as on a decent TV, another thing people don't think about.

·
Registered
Rover 620ti
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, after looking into it, turns out it probably is going to be cheaper to buy a standard telly lol who knew that lamps could be so darn expencive!!!

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
That's what I found, but when you consider what they are and do, and in what surroundings, it's not really surprising. Damned shame they are not H1 100W bulbs or something.

I guess it's like some printer companies and their ink, at the end of the day - sucker you in with cheap purchase price then kick yo ass with the running costs :lol:

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
thanks for the replies, after looking into it, turns out it probably is going to be cheaper to buy a standard telly lol who knew that lamps could be so darn expencive!!!
Nobody mentioned the cost of a decent screen for projecting the picture on to. Then there is the noise of the cooling fans. And I dislike the DLP projectors recommended above as I can see flashes of colour whenever I move my eyes - my eyes are faster than most peoples!

And then there is the cost of the electricity - they use a lot more than an LCD TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts